iem suited for fiio e5
Jun 13, 2010 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

manugeorge

New Head-Fier
comparing pl 50 and re-2
which one have wide soundstage  with low extending warm bass (not a bass head but wants right amount) fair mids and sparkling highs.Is there any other iem can beat these two around the same price.

Jun 13, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 8
The pl50 doesn't have a great soundstage, and the bass extends fairly low but quantity isn't there. Highs are extended but lack sparkle. Mids are wonderful.

RE2, from what I've read, is also bass light, although it should have more sparkle. Based on your preferences and price range, I would recommend you consider the meelectronics ai-m6.

Jun 13, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 8
PL50 is one of my favorite IEM I've ever tried or owned.
The soundstage isn't particularly wide but the imaging is extraordinary for it's price.
The highs are rather subdued and lack ultimate extension and sparkle. This explains the limited width of soundstage and not-so-airy sound signature.
On the other hand they're very well integrated with the mids and very smooth.

The bass I find just right and rather neutral.
In order to understand my bias I must also say that I find most IEMs overbearing as far as bass goes.

All things being equal, if I'd have to compare the PL50 to my Stax Omega2 mk1 (known for it's rather bassy sound) I can safely say that the Soundmagic presents a very comparable overall bass quantity (although less extended in the lowest octave).

Overall the PL50 are very musical earphones with a rather neutral and polite character, that's very easy on the ear and rather forgiving with sources. Micro-dynamics, finesse and pin-point imaging are the key strengths of this IEM.
If you value that above all else PL50 will please your ears.

Having said that and keeping your first post in mind  I'll echo the advice above - you need to look elsewhere for wide SS, warm bass and sparkly highs.
In my experience Nuforce NE-6/7 might suit your requirements better.
They've got very good bass presence and a wide soundstage.The high end is definitely more present that PL50's and might have the right amount of sparkle you're after.

Jun 13, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 8
+1 to what JxK said. The PL50 is a better match for you than the RE2 (unless you really value treble) but neither is ideal. You'd probably like the Meelec M6 more. I would also recommend the ViSang R02, which covers the warmth and bass depth, has a wonderful midrange, and a decent (though not huge) soundstage. The only thing it's missing is treble sparkle but no more so than the PL50.

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
what's the difference between nuforce ne 6 and ne 7. some poeple says they have low soundstage than pl 50

The NE-7M is an NE-6 with an inline microphone. And I don't think the soundstaging is anything special on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back