IEM Selection Help!
Sep 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Trower

New Head-Fier
First off I must say I love this site! I'm just a lurker here, but have gained alot of very helpful insight and direction here regarding the headphone aspect of my audio addiction .

I come asking help about which IEM I should choose. My current IEM's, some Monster Turbine Pro's need to be recabled and give me an excuse to get a cheaper set to use with my iPhone while out cycling or working around the shop. I was thinking about grabbing a pair of Grado igi's, as my true addiction is Vinyl and I love all things grado, but from what I've read about them I'm not sure they would be what I'm looking for. I am looking for a detailed IEM with a spacious soundstage, I want to be able to pop on some Beck and hear the "outside the recording" parts to sound like they are just that, outside the recording! I do like a warmer sound, so the highs can be a little rolled, but still accurate without too much sibilance. I'm looking to spend upto 150, but honestly would like it closer to 100. If you guys could suggest any I could research I would be very appreciative!

-Nick

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 11
Congrats...

Don't overlook the fine tuning which can be undertaken using the NRB Mod too.

Jim

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 11
I looked at your thread, and that is some very useful info! I'm at the very least going to have a source of cheap filters now, but after I get used to the headphones and let them burn in a bit, I'm going to have to give that a try!

Thanks! 

-Nick

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 11
Personally, I recommend Audio Technica CKM500's

I was like you, lurking the site, getting as much info as I could before going in with these. Dsnuts made a thread describing how great they sound for a budget IEM, and I can't disagree. While I haven't many other IEMs to compare it to, I can say that they sound great, and are definitely worth more than their price tag. http://www.head-fi.org/t/607006/the-new-ath-ckm500-the-best-ckm-earphone-yet

Then there's this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-252-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fx40-and-ha-fxd80-added-09-05-12#post_6492059

If you're looking for a particular price range, this chart should be pretty helpful. It's all averaged out, and if you want a more thorough description of the IEM in question, instead of the numbered values given, you can use the 'find' function and type in the model you're considering. I'm waiting for the CKM500 to appear on this list, but there's still Dsnuts' thread to go by.

Hope this helps! Sorry I can't be more personally helpful, since I'm very biased towards the only IEMs I currently own - ATH CKM500 (however amazing they may sound for the price) and am comparing them to pervious earbuds from sony, or other AKG or Senny IEMs I owned a few years ago and have since been trashed,

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 11
The Klipsch X10 has great soundquality, warm, detailed yet offers good punchy bass with fairly wide soundstage. The other IEMs like RE0, UE TF10Pro, Sony EX600, GR07 are also great buy.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 11
How about the Rockit Sounds R-50? They will sound more neutral and detailed than the CKM500. 

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 11
Again thank you all for you imput! I did go with the Ety MC5's off amazon, thought they would be a good stepping stone into the Ety sound, and after getting them tonight and spending a couple hours listening to them, I really like them! Enough that I just got some HF3's for about the same price off cowboom, and I think I might send these badboys back to amazon. Still can't get over how detailed they are, but I will have to play with the filters and see if I can bring in a touch more bass, could just be the fact I'm used to the Monster Turbine Pros though..... Reguardless, you've made an Ety fan out of me Jim!

-Nick

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Again thank you all for you imput! I did go with the Ety MC5's off amazon, thought they would be a good stepping stone into the Ety sound, and after getting them tonight and spending a couple hours listening to them, I really like them! Enough that I just got some HF3's for about the same price off cowboom, and I think I might send these badboys back to amazon. Still can't get over how detailed they are, but I will have to play with the filters and see if I can bring in a touch more bass, could just be the fact I'm used to the Monster Turbine Pros though..... Reguardless, you've made an Ety fan out of me Jim!

-Nick

Congrats...

My advice, Keep em both.

MC5s as a down and dirty crank it up IEM, and the HF3s as your Black Tie IEMs.

Again Congrats, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back