IEM, CIEM and DAP Search (and some Hong Kong Audio Show Photos)
Jul 28, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #46 of 102
The ZX300 is a little warmer I think than the 1A. Though keep alert as maybe around September or October there may be a Sony DAP release which will drive down the 1A prices. I’m not a good member to offer comparison between DAPs, though I do listen to a few out there. I didn’t like the Shanling M0 or the FiiO X7 MK2 Flagship. Though the 1A is big, there is so little that I don’t like about it; I have very little interest in other DAPs.

To listen to your music in the Sony DAPs you will need your files to be placed in a card file called “Music”.

But strangely I’m always learning about synergy. It’s a concept that many audiophiles don’t use EQ. So to get around that you have gear matching. So in some people’s eyes your DAP would actually go with your custom IEM. Or your CIEM would be a choice around your DAP. My learning now is putting an IEM and DAP together that I normally don’t think goes together, but I may add slight EQ?

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #47 of 102
Went for dim sum with the family today and lucky for me, my wife and kids all had plans after lunch so that gave me the green light to go to one of the local HP shops, so that's exactly what I did.

I got to the shop and remembered to try the V3 IEM. I was excited when it was one of the first things that popped into my eyes because it was at my eye level in their window display. So that was the first thing I did. It sounded quite good. The bass was not bad but then I put my Intime Go back on to AB test compare with a focus on the low end. Wow, the Go just keeps surprising and impressing me. It reached so low and deep. But I thought that for BA only IEM, the V3 was not bad. Funny story here. When I got home to update this thread, I reread your post and then remembered that you said "qdc". The IEM that I tried was V3 but it was Vision Ears or something like that. LOL. I know there are many shops here that sell qdc so I will have to give that a another try. I'll update with the pictures I took today when I finish typing this on my computer and go on my phone where the pictures are stored.

Now onto my first experience testing DAPs. The window display had quite a few that caught my eye. The WM-1A was on display at a price 9680 HKD (about $1233 US) but my friend here, J.Mills said I should really try the iBasso DAPs. They did not have the DX200 but they had the DX150, which I just learned today is actually the newer model of the two. The price of the DX150 was almost half of the WM-1A at 4288 HKD (about $545 US). The sound is supposed to be not as good as the DX150 but close. And then another DAP that has really attracted me to it is the Hiby R6, which is a little more than the DX150, priced at 4688 HKD (about $600 US).

I did this testing with my Intime Go. I transferred one of my Diplo mixes to the SD card of my phone and inserted it into the two DAPs and it worked with no problems. So that was a relief, and a big relief too. I know that I will be able to download music into SD cards through my phone and insert them into the DAPs. The DX150 sounded very nice but I will need to spend some more time when I go back there again. The R6 sounded a little light to me at first. A little warm and bass shy. But then I realized that was because I didn't fit the Go properly into my ear. My ears are picky and this is one of the key reasons why I really want to try a CIEM. I had to push the Go in my ear harder and when I did that, boy did the R6 come to life. It was very full in sound and the bass was very nice. I played around with it a little because it has quite a bit of features compared to the DX150. I don't really want to comment too much on the comparison now because this was my very first experience with DAPs.

I will try out the Sony ZX300 next time and whatever else you guys recommend I try but to be honest, the Hiby R6 is in the lead right now.

Until the release of the hiby r6 I wouldn't even buy a dap personally.
I never understood why android and snapdragon wasn't something standard in high end daps or at least snapdragon for a fast interface. You pay an insane amount of cash for parts that aren't that expensive, and you can't even get a snapdragon? I saw the review of the dx150 vs the hiby and laughed. I can't believe how laggy some high-end players are.

Hiby r6 is the only dap I want.

I'm gonna try a custom art fibae iem.

May either get the 1, 2 3 or 8.2... Ya I haven't figured out yet haha. I'll probably just get the 1 to get used to the fit and get another after as I need a set for work that's mild and a set for me (that's bright and colorful). I like the designs.

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #48 of 102
On my way to hockey again today, my intention was to try the qdc Anole V3 that RCM suggested. That's not that hard right? Ok, so I got sidetracked. I finally got a chance to try the Aroma Witch Girl Pro and while I managed to do that, I also tried the S version and a short listen of the Witch Girl 12.

I believe the WGP has 1 Dynamic Driver and 4 BA Drivers, so I was hopeful that this could be the one. It was not bad but I found that it did not hit as deep and full in the sub bass as I expected/hoped. The bass was a little too muddy for my tastes and I thought it either took away from the highs or the high was just not as present. Then I moved onto the WGS. I found this to be much better than the WGP as an all rounder but still the sub bass did not hit as hard, using my Intime Go as the reference. Next up was the WG12 and it was not bad at all but it is a little more than double the price of the WGP and WGS. By the time I finished listening to these, I had to make a mad scramble to get to my hockey game in time. And since I am the goalie, I canNOT be late or I will lose the trust and respect of my team mates.

At the WG shop, I found the solution to my tips problem. A few days ago, I picked up the 2-flange silicone tip and foam tip. I bought them in small and medium, respectively but I found that the foam was not getting a tight fit after letting them inflate in my ear. So today, I picked up medium and large tips, respectively. My right ear canal appears to be a decent amount bigger than the left. So now I have two sets of the 2-flange and foam tips. I think I am really going to enjoy the Go and Sora now.

So my focus is actually on the DAP now. I am going to focus on:
1) Hiby R6
2) iBasso DX150 (or should I consider buying a used DX200 for about the same price?)
3) Pioneer XDP-300r
4) Fiio X7 Mk2

One of my concerns is that if I get the UE6 Pro, it has an impedence of 12.5 ohms, which may or may not be an issue with the Hiby R6, if I get that as my DAP. The problem is the one store that sells the UE6 Pro, does not carry the Hiby R6.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #49 of 102
Until the release of the hiby r6 I wouldn't even buy a dap personally.
I never understood why android and snapdragon wasn't something standard in high end daps or at least snapdragon for a fast interface. You pay an insane amount of cash for parts that aren't that expensive, and you can't even get a snapdragon? I saw the review of the dx150 vs the hiby and laughed. I can't believe how laggy some high-end players are.

Hiby r6 is the only dap I want.

I'm gonna try a custom art fibae iem.

May either get the 1, 2 3 or 8.2... Ya I haven't figured out yet haha. I'll probably just get the 1 to get used to the fit and get another after as I need a set for work that's mild and a set for me (that's bright and colorful). I like the designs.
I think I know how you are feeling. I had trouble falling asleep last night because I kept thinking about the R6. :jecklinsmile:

Jul 29, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #50 of 102
On my way to hockey again today, my intention was to try the qdc Anole V3 that RCM suggested. That's not that hard right? Ok, so I got sidetracked. I finally got a chance to try the Aroma Witch Girl Pro and while I managed to do that, I also tried the S version and a short listen of the Witch Girl 12.

I believe the WGP has 1 Direct Drive and 4 BA drivers, so I was hopeful that this could be the one. It was not bad but I found that it did not hit as deep and full in the sub bass as I expected/hoped. The bass was a little too muddy for my tastes and I thought it either took away from the highs or the high was just not as present. Then I moved onto the WGS. I found this to be much better than the WGP as an all rounder but still the sub bass did not hit as hard, using my Intime Go as the reference. Next up was the WG12 and it was not bad at all but it is a little more than double the price of the WGP and WGS. By the time I finished listening to these, I had to make a mad scramble to get to my hockey game in time. And since I am the goalie, I canNOT be late or I will lose the trust and respect of my team mates.

At the WG shop, I found the solution to my tips problem. A few days ago, I picked up the 2-flange silicone tip and foam tip. I bought them in small and medium, respectively but I found that the foam was not getting a tight fit after letting them inflate in my ear. So today, I picked up medium and large tips, respectively. My right ear canal appears to be a decent amount bigger than the left. So now I have two sets of the 2-flange and foam tips. I think I am really going to enjoy the Go and Sora now.

So my focus is actually on the DAP now. I am going to focus on:
1) Hiby R6
2) iBasso DX150 (or should I consider buying a used DX200 for about the same price?)
3) Pioneer XDP-300r (recommended to me by my friend but I'm not crazy about the smaller screen)
4) Fiio X7 Mk2

One of my concerns is that if I get the UE6 Pro, it has an impedence of 12.5 ohms, which may or may not be an issue with the Hiby R6, if I get that as my DAP. The problem is the one store that sells the UE6 Pro, does not carry the Hiby R6.

You mean to say dynamic driver not direct drive.

Jul 29, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #51 of 102
I think I know how you are feeling. I had trouble falling asleep last night because I kept thinking about the R6. :jecklinsmile:
It's a very easy decision for me with the R6.

I refuse to get a non Android based DAP. Why should I have less features? I know some people just like their DAP to just play music, and that's why I'm getting it, but I want the underlying Android OS for any thing I may want to add in the future.

ibasso had terrible lag problems in this video

Also just a joke level processor. Why am I paying so much for such a BAD processor? That's what I don't get. For the sum of the parts in the product, and the polish, the Hiby R6 really doesn't seem to have a competitor. It's again, the only reason I'd even buy a DAP.

Pioneer, Android based DAP with an old processor (it's an old product so that's not surprising).

Fiio x7 Mk2, same thing, terrible processor, that can cause the device to lag.

Up to you what you want to get, I know lots of people here care/believe certain things regarding how DAPs/Dacs/Amps work. For me personally, I need a fast processor so that I NEVER experience system lag, Android OS with DTA.
Me Personally:
You really need hard science/testing/referenced books otherwise to talk anything else audio wise. Anything subjective that doesn't have hard data/reasoning behind it, I'm not interested in.

So far DAP wise:
Shangling and hiby are the two brands I'll stick with. I'll only use the R6, but I'll recommend other DAPs to my friends if they don't like/need Android/features that I'm obsessed with.

I think HiBy really delivered a great product with the R6.
Android, DTA, Snapdragon mid level processor should be the STANDARD for a high end product. The fact that audiophiles have been accepting laggy products, until now is mindboggling to me. But hey, to each their own, I'm very happy buying an R6 in my future.

Will probably send mine to a reviewer for testing too, since after reading recent tests of some products that were highly lauded here, that turned out to not be that spectacular on a benchmark, I'm just extremely wary. I know each audio science to know not to trust the vast majority of what people say regarding audio.

Headphones is harder, since I know enough about building speakers to understand what I want out of a speaker, but out of a headphone, I don't understand the construction/driver selection, and that makes me worried, but gotta start somewhere, and a CIEM looks like my best choice for all around use for me. Hoping I'll be happy with the Fibae's. Planning on getting everything by year end, priority on the CIEM first.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #52 of 102
Another available avenue is the qdc Anole V3.

http://musicen.qdc.com/Product/36.html

I just picked up two sets of it in universal. But they offer customs. Also it’s the most bass I have ever heard from a BA arrangement. The configuration is three BAs with an adjustable crossover.

$899 Singapore dollars for the custom.
https://music-sanctuary.com/collections/qdc

I had them set for maximum bass for a week, but now listen in standard mode as they are still V shape. I never get tired of listening to them?

THANKS! for this suggestion. I finally got it right and asked for the qdc Anole V3 at the shop yesterday. You are not kidding! That is the best bass I have heard from a non-DD IEM so far. I had to rush to meet my friend for dinner so I only had about 25 minutes of free time. Then I noticed that right beside it in the display was the V6 so I took that for a test drive too. It is the V3 times two. I really have to go back and give it another listen.

Did you try the V6? And if so, what do you think about it? It is about twice the price of the V3 though.

Just wondering why you bought two of the same IEM though.

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #53 of 102
Thanks for making this more complicated. lol

But I think it might be a little out of my budget. I haven't seen it here in Hong Kong yet but from the quick read, it sounds interesting. Can you describe what your experience was with this IEM? And is it a Custom IEM? I am not familiar with 64 other than seeing them around and I've tested them for a short time but at the time, I had a much lower budget set for this.

Ok, I just spent the last hour or so reading up on the Shure KSE1500. It sounds interesting with a lot of positive reviews but I just don't know if the low sub bass is really there. But it's late here now and I told myself that I was going to go to sleep at a reasonable time tonight and it's already past that time.

So I'll get back to the subsequent posts tomorrow. Thanks guys!

Apologies for the late response. Tried both at a store.

UE6 lacks resolution. Mids sound like they are underwater. Highs sound overly produced if that makes sense. Bass lines are ok, but definitely can be better. UE6 sounds like they have BA lows and DD mids and highs.

N8 on the other hand, is a TOTL performer. N8 goes for texture over speed. Bass lines reach really deep, reverberating and resonating. There is a very satisfying transient, sustain and decay all together. IMO the mids are a little reserved for me. They are smooth but they just aren't forward enough for me. Treble is grainy which seems to be a 64 thing. I don't really like grainy tunings but I am guessing that it is intentional.

In terms of technicalities, staging is pretty deep and wide. The bass is never loose or uncontrolled. Imaging is pretty solid, but not the cream of the crop. Same goes for resolution.

Overall, there is a lot of texture to the N8. Not very suitable for rock/metal but if you're someone who can appreciate beautiful and powerful bass lines, the N8 is for you.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Aug 3, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #54 of 102
Apologies for the late response. Tried both at a store.

UE6 lacks resolution. Mids sound like they are underwater. Highs sound overly produced if that makes sense. Bass lines are ok, but definitely can be better. UE6 sounds like they have BA lows and DD mids and highs.

N8 on the other hand, is a TOTL performer. N8 goes for texture over speed. Bass lines reach really deep, reverberating and resonating. There is a very satisfying transient, sustain and decay all together. IMO the mids are a little reserved for me. They are smooth but they just aren't forward enough for me. Treble is grainy which seems to be a 64 thing. I don't really like grainy tunings but I am guessing that it is intentional.

In terms of technicalities, staging is pretty deep and wide. The bass is never loose or uncontrolled. Imaging is pretty solid, but not the cream of the crop. Same goes for resolution.

Overall, there is a lot of texture to the N8. Not very suitable for rock/metal but if you're someone who can appreciate beautiful and powerful bass lines, the N8 is for you.
I am not having any luck in testing the 64 Audio N8. One of the biggest HP retailer, DMA sells 64 Audio but they did not have the N8 for demo. They also did not have the iBasso IEMs that I have been reading up on when another BM suggested it to me. Everything that I read about the iBasso IT01 IEM was positive. Then I read that there was also an IT03 model but often, the upper model starts to move towards less bass, more refined with less energy up high and less V-shaped, which is not what I wants so I dismissed it and only thought about trying the IT01. Plus, the IT01 is so affordable while the IT03 is a little more than double the price.

So one of my friends suggested that I go to another shop called The Right Shop Audio. When I got there, I realized I had already gone in here before but I thought their pricing was just ok and I didn't know them so I didn't think they would give me any discounts, which is why I try to buy my stuff from one place.

When I first walked in there, I saw so many different DAPs, especially the DX200, which was not on display at DMA. So I decided to give it a listen to see if I would like it. At the top of my list of DAPs is the Hiby R6 but at the back of my mind is a new iBasso DX150 or a second hand DX200. I like the flexibility of the iBasso amp modules but I guess realistically, it's a lot of money for the additional modules so I don't know if I want to go that route. So first I was comparing the DX200 to my own rig (Mate 10 phone with the iDSD BL). Then I realized that I went to DMA yesterday just to try out the iBasso but they didn't have it. I thought that was odd because they carry almost every other IEM brand and they do carry the DX150.

So I asked to try the IT01. After a few minutes of listening to it, I said to myself, "for sure I am going to buy this". It's so cheap and it has so much of what I like. I didn't mind the Red and Blue option that others don't like, as the all black one is the popular choice. And the stock cable looked like a great deal for the price. Then I figured that I might as well try the other iBasso IT03 since I was there. I didn't expect much. The stock cable actually 'looked' not as nice too. It was a thinner cable with all black covering. Wow! It has such an open / 3D-like sound coming out of it. Like no other IEM I have tried so far. It reminded me of the HD800 but not as wide and still realistic, at least to my ears. Anyway, it just made everything sound more fun and lively. Now the decision was going to be a little harder to make but the IT03 was in the lead. So then I thought I might as well try the IT04 as well, which came out not long ago. It was more than double the price of the IT03 and almost 4 times the price of the IT01! It was very nice too. The bass wasn't as present, I would say that the overall sound was very balanced and very good all around. What you would expect in a flagship. And it came with a very nice 2.5 balanced cable with a 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor. I read in a review that the cable is the iBasso CB12, which retails for more than the IT01 and that doesn't include the 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor, and I think with cheaper looking connectors. I really wanted this cable because it would allow me to make use of the 2.5 balanced out of the future DAP that I was going to get. This part made me really think about getting the IT04, figuring that maybe in the long run, this is the sound that I might move towards wanting.

Then I realized that I shouldn't be doing all these sound comparison using the DX200. I should be using my own rig to compare all IEMs that I listen to. Otherwise the referencing will be all over the place. I need to keep the source consistent. So now I went back to testing all three iBasso IEMs again with my own rig. In total, I was in the shop for at least 4 hours. They were very nice, they didn't give me any trouble or give me any looks for taking so long there. So I decided to try the UE6 Pro since they had it and it's still so rare in HK. I didn't listen for long but I think I will go back there and test it out again and see what their price is on it. Like I said, it's a very nice little shop that packs in a lot of different DAPs and IEMs.

In the end, the open sound of the IT03 did it for me. I asked them if they had the CB12 cable but they only had the CB14 cable so if they would sell me the cable from the IT04 but they couldn't do that. I've been burning the IT03 in since 24 hours ago and they are sounding very nice right now. Earlier today, I had them connected to the Hugo => Pro iCan with double tubes on and it sounded very nice and full bodied but still with the bass and sub bass and good detail all around. Now it is connected to my BL and still sounding very nice.

There's going to be an audio show at the convention centre next weekend so I am thinking about holding out on buying the DAP until after the show, just in case. Although I doubt very highly that there will be a show special on the Hiby R6 or the iBasso DX200. But if there is, I may snatch up the one that is on special if one of them is there. I have never been to any of these audio shows here yet so I don't know what to expect.

Sorry for such a long write up here on such a minor purchase but boy is it ever nice. I recommend that you guys go and try all three of them and report back to me if my super mini review is close to what you hear at all. lol

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #55 of 102
THANKS! for this suggestion. I finally got it right and asked for the qdc Anole V3 at the shop yesterday. You are not kidding! That is the best bass I have heard from a non-DD IEM so far. I had to rush to meet my friend for dinner so I only had about 25 minutes of free time. Then I noticed that right beside it in the display was the V6 so I took that for a test drive too. It is the V3 times two. I really have to go back and give it another listen.

Did you try the V6? And if so, what do you think about it? It is about twice the price of the V3 though.

Just wondering why you bought two of the same IEM though.

I am not having any luck in testing the 64 Audio N8. One of the biggest HP retailer, DMA sells 64 Audio but they did not have the N8 for demo. They also did not have the iBasso IEMs that I have been reading up on when another BM suggested it to me. Everything that I read about the iBasso IT01 IEM was positive. Then I read that there was also an IT03 model but often, the upper model starts to move towards less bass, more refined with less energy up high and less V-shaped, which is not what I wants so I dismissed it and only thought about trying the IT01. Plus, the IT01 is so affordable while the IT03 is a little more than double the price.

So one of my friends suggested that I go to another shop called The Right Shop Audio. When I got there, I realized I had already gone in here before but I thought their pricing was just ok and I didn't know them so I didn't think they would give me any discounts, which is why I try to buy my stuff from one place.

When I first walked in there, I saw so many different DAPs, especially the DX200, which was not on display at DMA. So I decided to give it a listen to see if I would like it. At the top of my list of DAPs is the Hiby R6 but at the back of my mind is a new iBasso DX150 or a second hand DX200. I like the flexibility of the iBasso amp modules but I guess realistically, it's a lot of money for the additional modules so I don't know if I want to go that route. So first I was comparing the DX200 to my own rig (Mate 10 phone with the iDSD BL). Then I realized that I went to DMA yesterday just to try out the iBasso but they didn't have it. I thought that was odd because they carry almost every other IEM brand and they do carry the DX150.

So I asked to try the IT01. After a few minutes of listening to it, I said to myself, "for sure I am going to buy this". It's so cheap and it has so much of what I like. I didn't mind the Red and Blue option that others don't like, as the all black one is the popular choice. And the stock cable looked like a great deal for the price. Then I figured that I might as well try the other iBasso IT03 since I was there. I didn't expect much. The stock cable actually 'looked' not as nice too. It was a thinner cable with all black covering. Wow! It has such an open / 3D-like sound coming out of it. Like no other IEM I have tried so far. It reminded me of the HD800 but not as wide and still realistic, at least to my ears. Anyway, it just made everything sound more fun and lively. Now the decision was going to be a little harder to make but the IT03 was in the lead. So then I thought I might as well try the IT04 as well, which came out not long ago. It was more than double the price of the IT03 and almost 4 times the price of the IT01! It was very nice too. The bass wasn't as present, I would say that the overall sound was very balanced and very good all around. What you would expect in a flagship. And it came with a very nice 2.5 balanced cable with a 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor. I read in a review that the cable is the iBasso CB12, which retails for more than the IT01 and that doesn't include the 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor, and I think with cheaper looking connectors. I really wanted this cable because it would allow me to make use of the 2.5 balanced out of the future DAP that I was going to get. This part made me really think about getting the IT04, figuring that maybe in the long run, this is the sound that I might move towards wanting.

Then I realized that I shouldn't be doing all these sound comparison using the DX200. I should be using my own rig to compare all IEMs that I listen to. Otherwise the referencing will be all over the place. I need to keep the source consistent. So now I went back to testing all three iBasso IEMs again with my own rig. In total, I was in the shop for at least 4 hours. They were very nice, they didn't give me any trouble or give me any looks for taking so long there. So I decided to try the UE6 Pro since they had it and it's still so rare in HK. I didn't listen for long but I think I will go back there and test it out again and see what their price is on it. Like I said, it's a very nice little shop that packs in a lot of different DAPs and IEMs.

In the end, the open sound of the IT03 did it for me. I asked them if they had the CB12 cable but they only had the CB14 cable so if they would sell me the cable from the IT04 but they couldn't do that. I've been burning the IT03 in since 24 hours ago and they are sounding very nice right now. Earlier today, I had them connected to the Hugo => Pro iCan with double tubes on and it sounded very nice and full bodied but still with the bass and sub bass and good detail all around. Now it is connected to my BL and still sounding very nice.

There's going to be an audio show at the convention centre next weekend so I am thinking about holding out on buying the DAP until after the show, just in case. Although I doubt very highly that there will be a show special on the Hiby R6 or the iBasso DX200. But if there is, I may snatch up the one that is on special if one of them is there. I have never been to any of these audio shows here yet so I don't know what to expect.

Sorry for such a long write up here on such a minor purchase but boy is it ever nice. I recommend that you guys go and try all three of them and report back to me if my super mini review is close to what you hear at all. lol

Congratulations on your purchase. For some reason I was not notified this thread updated. Sorry for the late response. I purchased two qdc Anole V3 because they fit me so good and liked the signature, actually loved the signature and wanted a back-up pair. I’ve never taken IEMs worth more than $100 on walks and wanted to take the qdc IEMs on walks, but would be sick if something happened to them so, a back up. But....with the Sony Hybrid tips the qdc fit way into my ear. In all my years I’ve never had an IEM block out 100% of outside noise. It’s like being underwater with them on?

They are super smooth and borderline too dark but I never get tired of them. I figure there are up to 4 EQ settings as the two switches can be put 4 ways. I now stay in standard mode on both pairs and the bass is still insane for a BA. I have to say they are different as it’s not a DD bass and it’s a heavy BA bass so it has a rounded and subtle character. I use one pair at home with a 4.4mm balanced cable and one with the stock cable out and about.

I did hear the V6, but take into account it’s more of a reference sound. The V6 does not have the bass. I had just listened to the IT04 and there was something about the mids I didn’t like, and the V6 qdc had the same......too expanded detail in the mids. I love the look of the Chameleon color in the V6, but yes, even with the switches to bass, it was missing what the V3 has. As long as I have some detail, I’m actually more about tone.

I have a feeling qdc will make another “fun” IEM with six BA drivers.

So now your on a DAP mission......I take?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #56 of 102
Congratulations on your purchase. For some reason I was not notified this thread updated.

... As long as I have some detail, I’m actually more about tone.

So now your on a DAP mission......I take?

Cheers!
Thanks. I'm enjoying the IT03 now as I work and play away here. :)

Something is messed up about the notification function here. I often do not notifications on other threads that I am in as well. And when I go to subscribed threads, my own threads do not show up. Wouldn't my own thread be part of the subscription list?

I think I am starting to understand a little more when you talk about the tone. Not long ago, I was all about the detail but now that I have started to use IEMs on the go, I think I am moving towards adding a little more tone to my 'wants list'. Maybe it has to do with the fact that it is IN your ear, kind of like in your face. That the too much detail becomes more fatiguing when in IEMs vs open back headphones?

The DAP is going to be the next thing on my buy list and then after getting it all set up, then I will use that to resume my search for a CIEM. The main reasons why I was leaning towards buying both together was that then I would only have to deal with the wife ONCE instead of twice. Also, the fear that if I buy the DAP first and then try to get that CIEM after, that right after the DAP purchase she might say, "ok that will be your last purchase for a little while now right?" lol

So I'll see how convinced I am about any particular CIEM as THE ONE for me. Or if the audio show coming up has a special deal that I could not turn down. :)

Aug 3, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #57 of 102
Thanks. I'm enjoying the IT03 now as I work and play away here. :)

Something is messed up about the notification function here. I often do not notifications on other threads that I am in as well. And when I go to subscribed threads, my own threads do not show up. Wouldn't my own thread be part of the subscription list?

I think I am starting to understand a little more when you talk about the tone. Not long ago, I was all about the detail but now that I have started to use IEMs on the go, I think I am moving towards adding a little more tone to my 'wants list'. Maybe it has to do with the fact that it is IN your ear, kind of like in your face. That the too much detail becomes more fatiguing when in IEMs vs open back headphones?

The DAP is going to be the next thing on my buy list and then after getting it all set up, then I will use that to resume my search for a CIEM. The main reasons why I was leaning towards buying both together was that then I would only have to deal with the wife ONCE instead of twice. Also, the fear that if I buy the DAP first and then try to get that CIEM after, that right after the DAP purchase she might say, "ok that will be your last purchase for a little while now right?" lol

So I'll see how convinced I am about any particular CIEM as THE ONE for me. Or if the audio show coming up has a special deal that I could not turn down. :)

Every marriage is different, though I’ve been married 19 years, and I’ve learned the best way to deal with issues is to talk the least. I’m not saying don’t communicate, but keep it short and to the point. There is a good chance that this hobby has robbed an ample amount of money from family wellfair for folks. The wife’s job is to make sure everything runs smoothly. Still always remember she loves you and is way more flexible than she lets on.

We all know these purchases are a waist of money but give us grand pleasure. It’s only life experiences which affect your quality of life, so our perception of music adds to our quality of life. Still none of this stuff is a worthwhile investment. It breaks and it ages and the technology dates. And in some ways this hobby is like gambling as it’s never enough. She is trying to save you from that, as wives can smell that stuff.

Aug 5, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #58 of 102
Every marriage is different, though I’ve been married 19 years, and I’ve learned the best way to deal with issues is to talk the least. I’m not saying don’t communicate, but keep it short and to the point. There is a good chance that this hobby has robbed an ample amount of money from family wellfair for folks. The wife’s job is to make sure everything runs smoothly. Still always remember she loves you and is way more flexible than she lets on.

We all know these purchases are a waist of money but give us grand pleasure. It’s only life experiences which affect your quality of life, so our perception of music adds to our quality of life. Still none of this stuff is a worthwhile investment. It breaks and it ages and the technology dates. And in some ways this hobby is like gambling as it’s never enough. She is trying to save you from that, as wives can smell that stuff.
Well said. I am fortunate to be able to buy the few things that I buy and still have are future reasonably/comfortably set. Without her, my future would not be in such a rosy state, financially. :wink:

Aug 5, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #59 of 102
Well said. I am fortunate to be able to buy the few things that I buy and still have are future reasonably/comfortably set. Without her, my future would not be in such a rosy state, financially. :wink:

When I took my then future wife to be to see my place, I lived in a beautiful villa. Only my credit cards were maxed out and my room looked like a pawn shop. It had giant guitar amps and speakers everywhere and thousands of LP records. I had reel to reel tape decks and giant mixing boards. There was this small path to make it to the bed. I’m surprised she married me?

Edit: I just realized our bedroom still has giant guitar amps?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #60 of 102
Looks like we will be learning about all new Sony stuff this month!

Walkmans, IEMs and headphones.

In August 2018, Sony Sony will release a new series of alcohol sounds during the Hong Kong Advanced Audiovisual Exhibition HKAVSHOW 2018, including the Walkman and new headphones: Signature alcohol series new brothers: IER-Z1R and DMP-Z1, Sony in the ear Stage monitor headphones series: IER-M7 and IER-M9, as well as upgraded headphones - MDR-Z7M2 (MDR-Z7 upgrade)!
1, Signature alcohol series new brothers: IER-Z1R and DMP-Z1
The new Signature Alcohol series, the new brothers IER-Z1R and DMP-Z1, enhances the high-definition sound quality experience, from listening to sublimation to the level of experience, providing a better music experience for audiophiles.
DMP-Z1 product concept: suitable for indoor use, such as home, cafe, hotel and so on. Sit back and enjoy listening to music and put the player on the desk or on the side table.
IER-Z1R product concept: Shows excellent 100kHz effect in the ear, the core is the sound and experience.
2, Sony in-ear stage monitor headphones series: IER-M7 and IER-M9
Provides the best tone balance and absolute noise isolation for stage monitoring, while also providing you with a stable wearing experience that avoids the loss of headphones during the show. This is Sony's music experience tailored for professionals and audiophiles. The IER-M7 is Sony's first in-ear stage monitor, and the IER-M9 is a high-end advanced in-ear stage monitor. Equipped with a newly developed balanced armature (BA) drive and linear acoustic reproduction system for superior sound and precise sound performance.
What M7 and M9 have in common:

• Drive unit structure: T-type armature instead of U-type to achieve low distortion and return without compromising sound
  • Audio-grade film capacitors for cross-network circuits are applied to provide sophisticated sound with low distortion
  • Optimized material and shape, lightweight, comfortable and stable
M9 upgrades:
  • M7 is a quadruple balanced armature drive unit, M9 is a five-fold drive armature unit
  • The M9 housing is made of aluminum-magnesium alloy and M7 is made of resin.
  • The IER-M9's newly developed super tweeter uses a magnesium alloy diaphragm with high hardness and high internal friction, a gold-plated terminal and a silver-plated brass voice coil to increase the driving force of the super tweeter. These wires are used in the symphony to faithfully reproduce the original sound without losing a slight faint signal and ensuring low distortion when delivering rich and clear sound.
  • The IER-M9 uses a shell molded waveguide as the sound path to the human ear. Through a short, wide sound path, this waveguide achieves an ideal frequency response, thereby suppressing spike acoustic resonance.
3, upgraded headset - MDR-Z7M2 (MDR-Z7 upgrade)
The entry-level model of the high-quality audio world, the development of the "Sony sound effect" of the Z1R technology, support for high-resolution audio playback, and the use of the new 70mm HD drive unit, with Fibonacci spiral grid, high aluminum-plated LCD Molecular diaphragm. There are also 3.0m silver-plated OFC lines and gold-plated stereo mini plugs, as well as 1.2m silver-plated OFC and gold-plated balanced standard plugs, as well as gold-plated plug adapters.

End of the post from iavlife.com. Perhaps Sony China or even Sony asked for it to be taken down. Below are the links to photos of the post:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back