IEM between $40-$75 - basshead
Aug 15, 2010 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

mkv1500

Head-Fier
Hello

This now i was using CX-300 which broke yesterday. 

So decided to upgrade. 

Here are few things i am looking for in my upgrade

- Budget: $40-$75. Give or take a few bucks
- I am a bass head, so good bass. 
- It should be comfortable to wear, good sound quality, hopefully will get rid of muddy bass now, reliable.
- I prefer a Y shaped lanyard. Had to compromise while using cx-300 as i didn't knew it with one cord short and one long.
- Need normal ear-tips, the one that comes with cx-300 or ep 630. I think those are silicon tips. Not the foam one was a disaster before as i used it. 
- Will be totally relying on your expert views since i can't hear them in store.

Few options that i have are: Hippo VB, Thinksound Rain, Klipsch S4, Etymotic Research ER6i, UE Super 5v or Super 4, FA Silver Bullet and Eterna.

Please advise. Need to buy asap.

Thanks

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 28
Gothamm is making at attempt at humor.

I'd remove the Etymotic offering from your list, and add the Hippo Shroom-EB (cheap and great), and the Panasonic HJE900 (if you can find it used for ~80, it beats the rest of your list.).

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 28
From your list: Hippo VB, Eterna and S4. All pretty much have what you want.

Additional iem: ViSang R03 / Brainwavz M2,

Reviews for all iems

I doubt you can find HJE900 for so cheap, but its definitely worth its usual price (120$ i believe)

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 28
Right for bass, hmmm Brainwavz M2, FA Eternas, Hippo VB and to a lesser extent the Hippo Shroom EB. I wouldn't recommend the Klipsh S4 as I find them muddy? But I strongly recommend you to at least try out the earphones before buying. At least buy something you're satisfied or feel worth the price :)

Aug 19, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 28
Sorry forgot to update here

Got the Meelectronics R1 and Hippo VB. Wanted M2 and VB, but M2 not in stock. So cancel as can't wait. Was thinking of EB, but thought of upgrading to VB instead. i got R1 for $27.49 inclusive of tax and shipping while VB was $79. VB will take 10-15 days to arrive.

May return one of them if not good or else will keep both if i like both, VB for me and R1 for gf. 

Got the R1 and initial impressions are pretty impressive. Tight bass, great mids and good treble. Good thing is bass is not muddy like ep 630 and cx 300, doesn't overlap with mids and is very good to hear. 

Just felt is protrudes a lot, so not good looking, too much wind noise while biking and not good isolation. I am using bi-flange tips as of now. Used medium sized tips but felt as if bass came more towards the left side rather than in between. Any help to solve this? I haven't completed burn-in, have used only for 3-4 hrs. 

Aug 19, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 28

Quote:
Gothamm is making at attempt at humor.

Initially i thought he must be kidding. Honestly, i had balls in my mouth on seeing the pricing. Must be something exceptional to cost so much. Made up of gold/diamond? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 28

Quote:
Initially i thought he must be kidding. Honestly, i had balls in my mouth on seeing the pricing. Must be something exceptional to cost so much. Made up of gold/diamond? 
bigsmile_face.gif

I don't think theres anything demanding that cost, other than what the market will pay. They could probably sell it for half that price and still make a huge profit (or way more due to volume), depending on their costs, and scalability. They use 4 proprietary BA drivers (proprietary means nothing but it's mine. Doesn't have to mean its-so-special.), and an IC for digital crossovers (really special. But can be really cheap. Electronics often cost pennies per part.).

So not gold/diamonds. Design/Performance.

Apparently they are the best things ever. Equivalent or better than $1000 headphones. I havn't been lucky enough to hear them.

A couple of Americans realized they could sell customs for $260... and still make money, built a business around it, and had lots of problems.. but I don't think any of those were due to the pricing.

The custom IEM thing is a high markup business. The people that started doing it used dental molding stuff and drivers from Sony earbuds in the 80's, and it took them forever, and they charged a fortune, to people like Peter Gabriel. Cool stuff really.

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #11 of 28
ZolOft, those are quite expensive. i got a quote from amazon. its $90 plus tax. So will touch $100 easily. Which is not my budget. 

Thanks anyways. i will keep in mind those when i upgrade.

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
check out fischer audio marcus
the latest addition of their budget iems
they say its a bass monster

http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110575908297&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

[size=medium]
any review of marcus? It looks very similar to Silver Bullet. Is it a replacement?

I have returned R1 which didn't work good for me. Though sound quality was a step above cx-300, its isolation was very poor, had wind noise and left ear use to hurt after wearing it for 15-20 mins. 

So i may as well look at marcus, since they are priced at par. 
[/size]

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #14 of 28
Etymotic Research ER6i, UE Super 5v or Super 4 are not going to be bassy enough for a bass head. Neither will Rain, probably. I'd look into TS01 over Rain. Eterna is a good choice. Meelec M11+ is very bassy too, while retaining good mids and highs.

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #15 of 28
I think you will be satisfied with your VB when they arrive. Actually, shouldn't they have arrived yet? This is a quote from Joker's review of them: ".The sub-bass has great rumble and is very controlled - mid-bass bloat common to mid-range earphones with lots of bass is completely absent. As a result, the bass of the VB sounds rather different from that of midbass-heavy earphones like the Sennheiser CX300 – the VB offers plenty of sub-bass rumble with a bit of punch."

I would also recommend the Thinksound TS01, which is supposed to sound similar to the Rain, which I've heard, but much more bass oriented.

If you stretch your budget a bit higher(like, 3 dollars), the Panasonic HJE900 presents a great option. They are currently available for $78 from J&R with free shipping. They have replaceable cables and are built extremely tough. Bass will smack you in the face, and these became popular when they were around the 120 dollar range, and are pretty often compared to headphones twice that price (though i haven't heard anything in that range, personally). 78 is a tremendous deal. Treble might be too harsh, but you can remedy that with the foam mod(stuffing some cheap foam into the nozzle). In any case, the treble shouldn't be any hasher than the Hippo VB, from what I've read. I love mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back