IEM between $40-$75 - basshead
Sep 13, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #16 of 28

Quote:
I think you will be satisfied with your VB when they arrive. Actually, shouldn't they have arrived yet? This is a quote from Joker's review of them: ".The sub-bass has great rumble and is very controlled - mid-bass bloat common to mid-range earphones with lots of bass is completely absent. As a result, the bass of the VB sounds rather different from that of midbass-heavy earphones like the Sennheiser CX300 – the VB offers plenty of sub-bass rumble with a bit of punch."

I would also recommend the Thinksound TS01, which is supposed to sound similar to the Rain, which I've heard, but much more bass oriented.

If you stretch your budget a bit higher(like, 3 dollars), the Panasonic HJE900 presents a great option. They are currently available for $78 from J&R with free shipping. They have replaceable cables and are built extremely tough. Bass will smack you in the face, and these became popular when they were around the 120 dollar range, and are pretty often compared to headphones twice that price (though i haven't heard anything in that range, personally). 78 is a tremendous deal. Treble might be too harsh, but you can remedy that with the foam mod(stuffing some cheap foam into the nozzle). In any case, the treble shouldn't be any hasher than the Hippo VB, from what I've read. I love mine.

I received the VB. And in my 7th post, i said VB for me and R1 for my gf. But after hearing both, getting comfortable with both, my gf kept VB for her. 
L3000.gif

So, i had to use R1 which didn't fit my requirements. So that's why i am hunting new one. 

And this time, isolation is also a priority along with comfort and bass. I will look at TS01 and HJE900. 

Thanks

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #17 of 28
I believe someone once compared the HJE900 isolation to the sennheiser cx300 and said the HJE900 isolate a bit better. They also have no vents facing the outside; I've never experience wind noise with them. You might get some of that with the Thunder, now that I think out it. I wouldn't know, though.

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #18 of 28

Quote:
I believe someone once compared the HJE900 isolation to the sennheiser cx300 and said the HJE900 isolate a bit better. They also have no vents facing the outside; I've never experience wind noise with them. You might get some of that with the Thunder, now that I think out it. I wouldn't know, though.

Since HJE900 and VB are going for the same price. Which would you rate better? Which will isolate more? Which will have less wind noise? Which will be good as a basshead. Let me know if you have tried both of them.

I don't know about HJE900 and haven't rode bike with VB to test wind noise or isolation by traveling in bus/train.

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #19 of 28
I haven't heard both, unfortunately. The best I could do is point you toward Joker's impressions of them on his Multi-IEM thread, as he has heard both. He rates the HJE-900 numberically higher in isolation and sound(9.0 vs 8.25), but neither by such a humongous margin. I would think the HJE900s are the better ones, but I'm biased =P

From someone else who compared the two directly, I remember him eventually preferring the HJE900, which seems like it sounds similar but with better treble and slightly less extending bass. You might just want to get the HJE900 and compare it with the VBs your GF has. Maybe Joker can chime in, as he's heard both.

Sep 13, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #21 of 28

Quote:
Try a different route. Sennheisers cx-400 ii can be bought for £18. Use these with a Fiio E5 amp and turn bass boost on.

Too much of a hassle. Also, i can't have 3 things in my pocket at all times.

I may as well go for HJE900 or VB. 

But......if i am not able to extend my budget till $80 (coming off recent hit from VB and Iphone 4), which one would you suggest for about $50?

Following are available for around $45-$55 that i can remember of

Hippo Shroom EB, Hippo Boom, Thinksound TS01, Crossroads Bijou 3, M11+, FA Marcus, FA Tau. Also Bose In-Ear are available for $54. Link is below, don't know the model name

http://www.electronics-expo.com/make-a-store/item/BOSINEARBW%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20/Bose/In-Ear-Headphones/1.html

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #22 of 28
guys, need serious help. its urgent to order one.

Please help decide between the following after shortlisting

- NuForce ne6 - $40
- Hippo Boom - $43
- BrainWavz m2 - $50

Please advise. Thanks

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #23 of 28

Jays, A-Jays Two

+++bassy - bass will not distort on maximum volume with maximized EQ bass.  (source: sony walkman NWZ-B153F, 10mW+10mW).

+++joy - high joy factor, somehow I enjoy my electronic music more on these than I have before.

+++timbre - acoustics and vocals sound good, so these are suited for pop/rock etc. as well.

---speed - not fast, more decay than attack in these.

---reverb - think "room reverb" not "hall reverb" (Sony MDR-EX500 IEM's have nice hall-like reverb, for example).

---treble - not the most clear and airy treble out there, it's just okay.
+++cable

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #24 of 28

How would you compare A jays two with Brainwavz m2 since they are of same price. 

Lets say, i don't want to compromise sound quality by going for bass. If i can gain sound quality for a loss in quantity of bass, i had be happy. That's what R1 made me realize. 

in that case which is good?
Quote:

Jays, A-Jays Two

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #25 of 28
** UPDATE **

Just went ahead and splurged on Panasonic HJE 900 for $78. 

Couldn't resist 
dt880smile.png

Thanks NapiLopez for the info.

Now the long wait starts. ~10 days. Till then will have to make do with ep 630. 

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #26 of 28

Not familiar with "Brainwavz M2" so I can't say.  From the [limited] number of IEM's I've heard so far, A-Jays Two are the best in the $50-$60 range (subjective taste).  By R1 do you mean RE1?

I've never seen an IEM with a detachable cable like on the Panasonic HJE 900, that's real sweet, good choice.

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #27 of 28

Quote:
** UPDATE **

Just went ahead and splurged on Panasonic HJE 900 for $78. 

Couldn't resist 
dt880smile.png

Thanks NapiLopez for the info.

Now the long wait starts. ~10 days. Till then will have to make do with ep 630. 

Congrats on your purchase! Moving from the CX300 to the HJEs might be quite a jump, but I do hope you will enjoy them. Remember their are effective remedies should you find the treble too harsh, and allow them to burn in(mentally/physically/whatever) and take the time to get used to their sound sig, if you don't like it out of the box. If anything, they are at least mighty pretty =P

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #28 of 28
Kiteki, R1 is by MEElectronics. Its a wooden IEM. 

M2 had long waiting so couldn't order that. I read about A Jays Two, but finally gave it up for HJE900. 

@NapiLopez

Thank You, i will definitely try and get adjusted to it. My only concern is isolation. I can adjust to everything else. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back