IEM <$50 Wide Musical Taste, No Idea Where to Start
May 19, 2017 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

0nebarwarrior

New Head-Fier
Hello!

Started off with basic apple headphones many years ago, then moved up to skullcandy ink'd and thought they were great (At the time). After going though about 5-6 pairs of those with wire issues, I finally got a pair of Senso Activebuds S-250 the other day, to avoid further wire problems.

The sound on these wireless buds are garbage. I don't know how to describe it (I'm new to this whole headphone world) but it sounds like the base just drowns everything. Like a layer of water or as if I'm listening to it in my garage. While skullcandy are not good by means, I could pick up each individual instrument, as if they each had their own "layer" within the song; they had a punch with base and treble the Senso lacked. That's what lead me here, where I found out skullcandy was bad, and the wide variety of better options I had at my disposal.

I listen to a wide variety of music: classical music, electro, heavy metal, only really avoiding rap and country. Because of this, I'm afraid of picking an IEM that's too bright or warm, and hurt one genre of music or the other. Of course, given I listened on skullcandy for years with out noticing the low quality, this point may be irrelevant.

Budget: $50 or less
Use: Mostly private listening, slight travel
Want best sound for all music genres
Don't care about comfort

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 7
I like the SoundMAGIC E10C and the Beyerdynamic Byron in your price range. Both are terrific and good with a wide variety of music. Instrument separation is great. You can't go wrong with either. Both well-made, BTW. My E10 are 4 yrs old and in new condition. Cable is a rock.

May 22, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 7
I like the SoundMAGIC E10C and the Beyerdynamic Byron in your price range. Both are terrific and good with a wide variety of music. Instrument separation is great. You can't go wrong with either. Both well-made, BTW. My E10 are 4 yrs old and in new condition. Cable is a rock.
Thanks for the response! I've read a lot of good things about soundMAGIC; seems like they are the best in class. Might actually go for a pair of E50s; they're only $3-4 more for, presumably, a newer model.

May 23, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #5 of 7
Hello!

Started off with basic apple headphones many years ago, then moved up to skullcandy ink'd and thought they were great (At the time). After going though about 5-6 pairs of those with wire issues, I finally got a pair of Senso Activebuds S-250 the other day, to avoid further wire problems.

The sound on these wireless buds are garbage. I don't know how to describe it (I'm new to this whole headphone world) but it sounds like the base just drowns everything. Like a layer of water or as if I'm listening to it in my garage. While skullcandy are not good by means, I could pick up each individual instrument, as if they each had their own "layer" within the song; they had a punch with base and treble the Senso lacked. That's what lead me here, where I found out skullcandy was bad, and the wide variety of better options I had at my disposal.

I listen to a wide variety of music: classical music, electro, heavy metal, only really avoiding rap and country. Because of this, I'm afraid of picking an IEM that's too bright or warm, and hurt one genre of music or the other. Of course, given I listened on skullcandy for years with out noticing the low quality, this point may be irrelevant.

Don't care about comfort
You should give the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore/Basso a try. It should suit your needs as an all around IEM at the price you are looking at. The Shure SE112 is also another option as is the Audio Technica ATH IM50 if you can find it for under $50. I've also heard good things about the MEE Audio M6 Pro which cost $49.99.

May 23, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #6 of 7
I heard good things about the Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD, they sport Dual Dynamic & a Balanced Armature for only 30$ and are often compared to the 1More Triple drivers.

May 23, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 7
Hello!

Don't care about comfort

Look up the MEE M6Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back