IE8 ? Monster Miles Davis Tribute ? some (relatively) bass-loving ba driver phones? for hard rock, metal, jazz, funk/soul
Feb 11, 2011 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

blubibk

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I spent about 9 hours searching and reading now and I don't know why, but with every hour I feel more confused about my buying decision.
This forum seems like really offering the most informations and really worth staying.

I'm planning to buy a replacement for my 2,5 year old Sennheiser IE8s I was quite happy with (car vs IE8 => left channel only).
I'm not a musician, I just love listening to music (2-3h/day so they shouldn't hurt after 20 min), I am planning to spend up to 350€ / 480$ / 300 GBP for it.
Music: (hard) rock, (heavy) metal, jazz, funk/soul

Trying to explain my taste:

I read the multi IEM review and think I "need" "more" bass than the author does.
Not huge amounts / one gigantic woooooom that swallows everything else and very slow (I had a pair of Sennheiser CX300 and I didn't like them at all) but I really can't do anything with those UE Super.fi 3 Studio of a friend of mine (bass barely there, nothing at all or just bzzzzzz below a certain not very low frequency).

My IE8s were ok for me, maybe a bit too much for jazz/funk/soul (at minimum setting). I do want my future iem/p's to move some air, but only for the short amounts of time the music specifies and not limiting the rest of the freq. .
It sounds strange but I think I liked the bass of the ie8s because I could feel it a little bit on the skin/ear in addition to hearing it because of its lower isolation/looser fit(could be completely nonsense too, just ignore it eventually).
I do like warmer mids and hate way-too-loud-giving-me-headache sssssh highs (super.fi 3) (on well mastered tracks, otherwise I obviously can't blame the phones). Isolaton is not that important, a secure fit is.

There isn't much I really didn't like (ie8) but maybe that's just because I have nothing to compare with it. (maybe a little bit 

From what I read until now, I could buy another pair of ie8s, triple-fi 10s (don't want 'em, don't like the antenna-like-stand-out-of-the-ear-feeling of most UEs) or Monster Miles Davis Tribute Jazz? What is the most "bass loving" ba driven iem(/p) and would that be a huge difference?

thank you !!

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 6
The closest to IE8 sound Signature you can find is JVC HA-FX700, (Dynamic Driver)
For BA, SM3 is another great IEMs
Perhaps worth it to take a look at new Radius w21 Dual Driver or current W11.

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 6
Don't forget the new Westone 4 is just coming out this week! You might want to wait and hear the impressions!

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 6
thanks, I'll wait for Westone 4 impressions/reviews and am torn between
  1. Senn IE8 (240€)
  2. JVC HA-FX700 (255€)
  3. EarSonics SM3 (325€) and
  4. Monster Miles Davis Tribute (330€)

in the meantime. :wink:

update: dropped SM3 (e-guitars seem to sound a bit tame in comparison and their shape doesn't look very comfortable) and IE8 (want something new and too much bass)

Does someone know how comfort/fit and sibilance are (subjectively) in comparison to the IE8?

Feb 25, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
thanks, I'll wait for Westone 4 impressions/reviews and am torn between
  1. Senn IE8 (240€)
  2. JVC HA-FX700 (255€)
  3. EarSonics SM3 (325€) and
  4. Monster Miles Davis Tribute (330€)

in the meantime. :wink:

update: dropped SM3 (e-guitars seem to sound a bit tame in comparison and their shape doesn't look very comfortable) and IE8 (want something new and too much bass)

Does someone know how comfort/fit and sibilance are (subjectively) in comparison to the IE8?

Hmm i haven heard FX700 (i am saving up for it though), despite that on what i could give you on my impression on MDs, will say you won be disappointed in getting those, its bass is pretty different from IE8, Its smooth and immersive, sort of a miniature scale of a good bass-tuned hi-fi system.

On genres such as jazz, bossa nova you can feel the smooth bass-line, flowing through musically in accordance with its lush and warm mid. Yet when genres such as Trance, Techno, Heavy R&B calls for it, its bass extension and impact could satisfy basshead and audiophiles without offending either one at the same time.

Lastly not to mention its lifetime warranty cant be beaten.

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks to all of you!

I thought I arrived at a decision with the fx700, after finding out jvc europe won't offer any warranty service for products bought in other countries I changed my mind, though.
I was about to buy the MD's when I found out 1964 Ears offers quad driver custom IEMs for just 50€ more than the MD's.
So i finally ordered a pair of 1964-Qs and hope they won't take too long to ship them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back