IE8 issues; advice requested.
Sep 9, 2010 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

cravenz

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright. My IE8s were fine up till now when I recently tried using it with the HDP; I think I'm going to have warranty issues with Sennheiser due to the fact that I probably don't have my warranty/receipt (will be attempting to locate it). Even then, I'm not sure I have a 2 year warranty. I'm wondering if there is a way to fix this or if anyone knows what to do. I don't exactly have a backup IEM and I've just plunged my funds into the HDP which is what has really got me quite annoyed.

Anyhow, I just received my HDP and set about unpacking and followed the instructions regarding the discharge of static. Upon my first use, I paired it with my IE8s and experienced a low volume hiss at all volume levels and everytime I moved the volume knob, I would get microphonic sounds on the right channel of the IE8s. I was informed that this is unusual and has never occurred and is not in sync with IE8s users with the HDP which was my primary reason for getting this.

Unknown to myself, I tried this again later to see if the hiss would disappear, I moved the knob up to 2 - 3 pm again, and the microphonic sounds on the right side just faded and I can't be too sure there was a pop. Now, my IE8s have minimal volume on the right side and I'm considerably distressed about this and I really am not sure that I have my warranty with me and unlikely so due to shifting of houses. This could end up being a very expensive investment on my part now.

I'd like some advice on what course of action to take. There is no hiss experienced when paired with my k702s however, but the hiss is still apparent on the one side of my IE8s. I am currently, rather perturbed about this and hope to resolve this soon as I am now without any IEMs and to be honest, I'm quite annoyed.

Again, help is much appreciated. I'm attempting to dislodge the cable to see if I can have a look at it, but it doesn't exactly budge and I don't want to use too much force for fear or wrecking it.

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 28
Sorry to hear this, Cravenz!

The only thing I can say is that I am careful to remove cables but pinch the cable end housing and pull...does take force.

I try to be careful to put any stress on the cable since that is replaceable with two different sizes on the website but you have to buy on the phone with Customer Service center.

To switch sides back and forth while changing from over the ear to wearing "down" I did detach cables.

Don't know how that will help you inspect the IE8 exactly...but I wish you the best of luck.

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 28

Quote:
Sorry to hear this, Cravenz!

The only thing I can say is that I am careful to remove cables but pinch the cable end housing and pull...does take force.

I try to be careful to put any stress on the cable since that is replaceable with two different sizes on the website but you have to buy on the phone with Customer Service center.

To switch sides back and forth while changing from over the ear to wearing "down" I did detach cables.

Don't know how that will help you inspect the IE8 exactly...but I wish you the best of luck.

No idea how it would either, but thought just unplugging it and putting it back might solve the issue. I'll try anything really!

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 28
In order to see if it might be the cable somehow, I guess you could swap the cables and isolate the problem in the earpiece/speaker- that does makes sense.

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 28
Have you tried with other sources?  Probably dumb to ask, but leave the scene of the accident and try to drive them also...

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 28

Quote:
Have you tried with other sources?  Probably dumb to ask, but leave the scene of the accident and try to drive them also...

yup. I'm running it on my iPhone now, it was the first thing I did and when it sounded the same on my iPhone, I just thought OMFGawd. shrugs.

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #10 of 28

Quote:
In order to see if it might be the cable somehow, I guess you could swap the cables and isolate the problem in the earpiece/speaker- that does makes sense.

good point, I'll try that.

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #13 of 28
That's even worse than waiting for something to really improve the sound and it just doesn't do much at all.

This was the opposite- really sorry, man.

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #14 of 28

Quote:
That's even worse than waiting for something to really improve the sound and it just doesn't do much at all.

This was the opposite- really sorry, man.

don't be saying sorry man, it's not your fault. If I had the money, I'd send it straight in to Senn without a moment to waste, but I just blew my savings on the HDP. I really didn't expect this.

I have my 702s plugged into the HDP now, and I can't be sure that there isn't a channel imbalance, but I am actually quite scared that something will go wrong and it'll mess up my 702s as well.

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #15 of 28
One thing to consider is to get refund on the HDP, especially until you know what will happen with your iems.

Regardless, you will always wonder about the HDP and think it could fry something.

Can't live like that, really...and if Senn doesn't replace it is better to have another pair of iems than an amp you are worried about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back