iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Jul 31, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #3,946 of 4,252
Anyone can recommend good USB A/A extension cable($50-100)? Stock blue cable is not the best as I understand.

I use DAXX U84-11
http://www.daxx-usa.com/computer/u84.htm

2018-07-24 17-12-10.jpg

I could not find any other cable...

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #3,947 of 4,252
Anyone can recommend good USB A/A extension cable($50-100)? Stock blue cable is not the best as I understand.
Seeing that the communication between iDSD BL and host device is in the digital domain, unless you have digital noise (at the D+ and D- rail) and Vbus issues I don't see another cable would bring any improvement.

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #3,950 of 4,252
How are you Turbo users keeping the damn thing charged? I currently can't make it through a whole work day without it dying on me.

Yes, that is normal, Turbo consumes a TON of power, it is in the specs. For curiosity, what exactly are you powering that requires Turbo? The most I went ever was intro Normal, Turbo would be too much for almost anything I tried to use it with

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #3,951 of 4,252
Yes, that is normal, Turbo consumes a TON of power, it is in the specs. For curiosity, what exactly are you powering that requires Turbo? The most I went ever was intro Normal, Turbo would be too much for almost anything I tried to use it with
Yeah. If you need Turbo to last the whole day you'll need to plug it in.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #3,952 of 4,252

I understand that it requires a ton of power but I'd love to know what I could plug it into that would power it while I use it.

Turbo mode is always on and it powers my LCD-3, LCD-XC, and iSine 20 that way.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #3,953 of 4,252
I understand that it requires a ton of power but I'd love to know what I could plug it into that would power it while I use it.

You don't listen very quiet :)

I'd recommend considering a complementary device like Burson Play for desktop usage if you can't get enough power with iDSD BL, and use iDSD BL more portably

I am not sure it can pull enough power, even if you had a USB port with a larger power ability, there are some, but I don't think iDSD BL's power draw circuits allow it do get more, and it would also get quite hot.

For iSine20, if you haven't tried the Cipher cables, please give them a go, they are the love of iSine20, I actually loved them more with their Cipher cable than anything else, Audeze really nailed it with that Cipher cable, and this is coming from someone who dislikes Apple products in general

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #3,954 of 4,252

Any decent 5V USB power supply should work. Check with iFi support to see what they suggest in terms of amps. I'd guess >1A at least.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #3,956 of 4,252
And I doubt Turbo is needed for iSine. Not sure about how efficient the other Audeze are. But in general only the most power hungry cans need Turbo.

Audeze Headphones are quite power hungry in general, so I can see how someone would want Turbo there, but even so, with MX4, Turbo is a bit of an overkill, I'd say. I haven't tested iDSD BL with LCD-XC or LCD-3 though.,..

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #3,957 of 4,252
I personally use iSilencer 3.0 with it but for sure I prefer an optical connection when possible.

Do you connect the iSilencer 3.0 towards the host device end or toward the iDSD BL?
And has it improved your listening experience?

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #3,960 of 4,252
Any decent 5V USB power supply should work. Check with iFi support to see what they suggest in terms of amps. I'd guess >1A at least.
Not true.

To quote iFi Audio:

It matter nothing if the port charging the iDSD micro has unlimited current. It must signal the iDSD micro that it is what in the USB Standard documents is called either a "dedicated charging port" (DCP) or "charging downstream port' (CDP). Either of these ports use the USB BC1.2 protocol to advertise their ability to supply more than 500mA.

If a port is not advertised as DCP or CDP the iDSD micro will limit the current drawn from the USB but to 500mA, regardless how much current is available. Failure to do so may cause damage to the computer or in the least serious case will produce the dreaded "accessory draws too much current" message.

We have to conform to the industry standards - we don't deviate as we spend a lot of time effort into understanding working to industry policies/guidelines.

In any case, in no way does the LCD-XC need Turbo mode unless you want to permanently damage your hearing. In fact, Normal mode will drive it loud enough to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back