iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Jul 26, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #1,651 of 4,252
This 24 hour charge requirement is seriously testing my self control...

The micro has good weight due to the battery. When I plug in the USB 3.0 cable I can feel the charging circuit charging the battery holding the micro. We are talking about some serious current here!

My new computer built recognized the micro and automatically reload the drivers. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #1,652 of 4,252
Ever so slightly off topic but does anyone know if there is hardware currently available that is capable of recording DSD 512? For DSD 256 there is the Merging Tech Horus and the DAD AX32, but is there anything for 512 yet?

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #1,653 of 4,252
  Ever so slightly off topic but does anyone know if there is hardware currently available that is capable of recording DSD 512? For DSD 256 there is the Merging Tech Horus and the DAD AX32, but is there anything for 512 yet?

To my understanding no. IFI added that capacity for possible future advancement. Personally it means for me that the hardware is no way near its physical limits in playing back 4xDSD for example. When you are not pushing audio equipment hard you tend to maintain the SQ better as the result.

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #1,654 of 4,252
wink.gif
Quote:
  The micro has good weight due to the battery. When I plug in the USB 3.0 cable I can feel the charging circuit charging the battery holding the micro. We are talking about some serious current here!

My new computer built recognized the micro and automatically reload the drivers. 

Knowing Windows,that is a little scary... What Drivers did it load?

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #1,655 of 4,252

Knowing Windows,that is a little scary... What Drivers did it load?

The same drivers that the computer had for the nano. But since I using a different USB3.0 port the computer had to reload the drivers for that port. I had the USB cable all laid out in advance of the micro since the micro uses the type A not the type B of the nano. I need to use a cable that is a bit longer than the one that came with the micro and I decided to try this cable.

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #1,656 of 4,252
  A teaser! Full review coming over the next day or two!!!

Two things I know already.  I have incentive to lose weight so I can fit in this damn tiny T-shirt.  

And, the Octa-Adopter canister, well, it makes a VERY fine drum....

And, apparently mine is number 215 of 512

I think mine was 193.

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #1,657 of 4,252
Got my iDSD Micro today as well! Just waiting for the blue LED to turn off :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh. My. God. Coming from an iDSD Nano & Schiit Asgard 2 (w/ T50RP and HE-500) the difference is just... wow. There aren't enough superlatives in the dictionary to express how impressed I am with this dac/amp... Forgive me but I'm giddy. Will report back when I can express myself with some degree of precision. In summary: I think the iDSD Micro is a game changer. Period.

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #1,659 of 4,252
  I got my prize !

Unbox
https://www.facebook.com/audiogizmo/posts/742544419151679

Internal Pics
https://www.facebook.com/audiogizmo/posts/742533045819483

Hi there,

You are a curious lot, aren't you? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

A public service announcement, for ALL Octa-Adopter owners, PLEASE do not try to open up the micro iDSD (will void your warranty and worse still, you may damage the micro iDSD).

We shall soon upload internal shots for the press and the whole world to see. You need not worry.

The main reason is that getting into the micro iDSD is not a trivial task (special tools and processes are needed), without those, damage to the PCB is likely to ensue.

Alamakazam, we see that the "Filter" switch been slightly bent out of shape, please drop us an email or PM and we would like to resolve that for you. Hope you are handy on the old tech front.

Thank you all!

Side Note:
As previously stated, the global launch is Mon 28 July (see previous Teeny-Weeeny message). That is when the units are supposed to be in store and ready for pickup or will be sent out to customers.

Obviously some distributors and dealers got way toooooo excited or they felt sorry for those of you who whole camped outside. Hence they started to give out the units last week. 
evil_smiley.gif

Some people just have no self-control! 
tongue_smile.gif

By the end of this week, all 512 Octa-Adopters should have their unit.

Once this has been pretty much confirmed and the members have been registered with the iClub, then we shall give you another update.

In the meantime, enjoy the tunes!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 27, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #1,660 of 4,252

Hi there,

You are a curious lot, aren't you? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

A public service announcement, for ALL Octa-Adopter owners, PLEASE do not try to open up the micro iDSD (will void your warranty and worse still, you may damage the micro iDSD).

We shall soon upload internal shots for the press and the whole world to see. You need not worry.

The main reason is that getting into the micro iDSD is not a trivial task (special tools and processes are needed), without those, damage to the PCB is likely to ensue.

Alamakazam, we see that the "Filter" switch been slightly bent out of shape, please drop us an email or PM and we would like to resolve that for you. Hope you are handy on the old tech front.

Thank you all!

Side Note:
As previously stated, the global launch is Mon 28 July (see previous Teeny-Weeeny message). That is when the units are supposed to be in store and ready for pickup or will be sent out to customers.

Obviously some distributors and dealers got way toooooo excited or they felt sorry for those of you who whole camped outside. Hence they started to give out the units last week. 
evil_smiley.gif

Some people just have no self-control! 
tongue_smile.gif

By the end of this week, all 512 Octa-Adopters should have their unit.

Once this has been pretty much confirmed and the members have been registered with the iClub, then we shall give you another update.

In the meantime, enjoy the tunes!

nice, I think I can fix them myself :) 

if not wrong the switch is 

JSM08011SAQNL
JSM07011SAQNR

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #1,661 of 4,252
Just started listening to it, less than 15 mins of hearing, at least twice as clear as the idsd nano. Test music is old skool of rock 2. Preamp is very good, using the rca. xbass is good, the 3d for speakers doesn't seems to work too well for my dipole speakers

IFI micro iDSD part one

Yes, with dipole speakers it is hard apply many Psychoacoustics affects to it. My Sound Labs are dipoles as well.  If you really want to hear a strong 3D effect my JBL LSR305 monitors will show off the effect of the 3D switch vividly.  Like IFI, JBL did its homework with the LSR series monitors. The JBL LSR305 is some of the best monitors you can get in its price range. I am only sitting about four feet from my JLSR305 because it is a near field monitor. I have not yet tried the 3D switch with my Airmotiv 6 monitors yet. Normally I did not find the 3D switch all that helpful with well recorded music but with some of my older red book classical music the 3D switch brings back the dynamic brightness of the live concert with more depth.  It seems that these days more users are preferring more bass and more mellow treble without realizing how bright a live concert can be.  Two nights ago I heard the best performance of Aaron Copland's third symphony, and it would be almost impossible to find a recording that will do justice to this piece.  

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #1,662 of 4,252
Damnit, I have no reason to need this, but I want it. Please release the iDSD mini soon.

Also, if anyone is looking to offload their iDSD Nano at a reasonable price, I may be interested. I helped buy one for a friend of mine and I was impressed before I handed it off to him.

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #1,663 of 4,252
Damnit, I have no reason to need this, but I want it. Please release the iDSD mini soon.

Also, if anyone is looking to offload their iDSD Nano at a reasonable price, I may be interested. I helped buy one for a friend of mine and I was impressed before I handed it off to him.

Is there going to be a iDSD "Mini"?   I'm only aware of the iDSD Nano and iDSD Micro.

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #1,665 of 4,252
I have a few hours on my micro iDSD. It's too early to say much but my initial reaction is very positive. I also have the very good iDAC and the iDSD is better. I haven't heard the nano iDSD so I can't comment on the comparison. It really shines with DSD material. With DSD material it has a very natural matter-of-factness to its sound that is appealing. The basic sound signature will be familiar if you are used to iFi: the ultimate emphasis is on being smooth and musical vs absolute detail. It strikes a more sophisticated balance than the iDAC which sounds a bit grainy in comparison.

The headphone amp section of it is really good. It has no trouble driving my Alpha Dog and LCD-3s. It is not good enough to make me consider giving up my dedicated headamp, but it will be AWESOME for traveling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back