iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Jul 29, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #1,681 of 4,252
Hi all, 

I'm new here. Had so much fun reading about the iDSD Micro that I ordered one :)

Wow. I love the iDSD Micro sound. So clear, smooth & expressive.  

Listening to albums with iDSD micro on my iPhone 5S was a joy too. First time I heard such good sound from my iPhone.

Like these features best: Music sounds great with my iMac and iPhone. Great sounding DSD DAC and headphone amp in one small package.

My setup:  iMac (Audirvana+) > iDSD Micro/ iDac > Leben CS300XS > PSB M4U1. 

SACD music is my favourite. CD quality music sounds much better than I've heard before in my setup. 

Now back to exploring my music collection. 

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,682 of 4,252
Got mine yesterday. Very very very impressed. It comes with so much ... stuff. :) 
The Nano was very good indeed, and the Micro is sounding just... well, I think the dual-mono setup in the Micro is really showing its chops here. Great separation and imaging.

Now I need to find another place for my Nano to live, which shouldn't be hard. :)

Jul 30, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #1,684 of 4,252
Ah geez.. I still haven't got my unit .. the lack of shipment updates is really frustrating .. so envious of you guys who have got your units ..

You're not the only one… I'm just hoping I'd get at least an update when I get out of school

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #1,686 of 4,252
Can you spot the iDSD?

Perhaps if I zoom in a little...

From left: TopPing TP20 mkII, iTUBE, iCAN, iDSD. There's an iUSBPower tucked in back there too.

The shelf above has the power brick with all the power supplies plugged in.

The lower cupboard houses the PC and UPS. The top cupboard houses the printer and scanner.

The 'phones are Beyerdynamic T1 and the speakers are Electric Beach M1NX.

And for the terminally inquisitive, yes that is a Hewlett Packard HP-11C. Now 33 years old and still going strong :cool:

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,687 of 4,252
technobear,

Nice sounding system and neat too.

I see why you chose that name :)

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #1,688 of 4,252
Technobear,

Have you tried bypassing your T-amp, having the iDSD in it's turbo mode run your monitor speakers directly? They aren't terribly efficient, but perhaps in a nearfield situation it will be adequate for most situations. Eager for anyone to try this out, would make for a very nice minimalist computer setup.

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #1,689 of 4,252
What if one were to drive their headphones from the variable preamp stage via RCA output? Just curious. Anyone want to try and see if there are any differences in sound? Not necessarily benefits

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #1,690 of 4,252
  Ah geez.. I still haven't got my unit .. the lack of shipment updates is really frustrating .. so envious of you guys who have got your units ..

So apparently my local retailer doesn't know the tracking information for the 2nd batch of Ltd Edt Micro iDSD, so they can't tell me when the iDSD will arrive as well .. more waiting for me i guess

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #1,691 of 4,252
Technobear,

Have you tried bypassing your T-amp, having the iDSD in it's turbo mode run your monitor speakers directly? They aren't terribly efficient, but perhaps in a nearfield situation it will be adequate for most situations. Eager for anyone to try this out, would make for a very nice minimalist computer setup.

Welcome to Head-Fi!

No, I have not tried that. At the moment I am just burning the iDSD in by connecting the headphones to it and it will remain that way for the rest of this month while it burns in.

Personally I would ask ifi Audio first as the RCA output might not be able to handle the low impedance of a set of speakers (or headphones for that matter).

I don't have any suitable cables for such a hook-up anyway. I would have to destroy a perfectly good phono interconnect.

I've posted some early impressions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments/45#post_10756039

:cool:

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #1,692 of 4,252
Only hours away from delivery... after lunch it should be here 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #1,693 of 4,252
Can you spot the iDSD?

Perhaps if I zoom in a little...

From left: TopPing TP20 mkII, iTUBE, iCAN, iDSD. There's an iUSBPower tucked in back there too.

The lower cupboard houses the PC and UPS. The top cupboard houses the printer and scanner.

And for the terminally inquisitive, yes that is a Hewlett Packard HP-11C. Now 33 years old and still going strong
cool.gif

Great setup. And lots of bears!

Do you think the iTUBE is needed with the iDSD? I was thinking about adding a tube buffer stage but nit sure if there is a need. I guess it comes down to preference of sound signature, aka tube sound 

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #1,694 of 4,252

And for the terminally inquisitive, yes that is a Hewlett Packard HP-11C. Now 33 years old and still going strong :cool:

Great setup. And lots of bears!

Do you think the iTUBE is needed with the iDSD? I was thinking about adding a tube buffer stage but nit sure if there is a need. I guess it comes down to preference of sound signature, aka tube sound 

I find the iTUBE to be utterly transparent. Inserting it does nothing to the sound that I can hear. The 3D function is useful on a desktop system though. I can't hear whatever the digital anti-dote is supposed to be doing. The earth lift switch might be useful in some systems but is not needed here.

So, if you need the earth breaker or you need the pre-amp function or you need gain or you need 3D then buy an iTUBE.

If you are just going to use it as a buffer to add 'tubeyness', to my ears it does nothing. YMMV.

It isn't connected between the iDSD and the iCAN. It only feeds the TP20 mkII. I'm thinking of adding a sub so the pre-amp function will be useful if I do (T-amps don't appreciate 3-wire sub connections).

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #1,695 of 4,252
Welcome to Head-Fi!

No, I have not tried that. At the moment I am just burning the iDSD in by connecting the headphones to it and it will remain that way for the rest of this month while it burns in.

Personally I would ask ifi Audio first as the RCA output might not be able to handle the low impedance of a set of speakers (or headphones for that matter).

I don't have any suitable cables for such a hook-up anyway. I would have to destroy a perfectly good phono interconnect.

I've posted some early impressions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments/45#post_10756039

cool.gif

Hi,

Not designed to drive passive speakers via RCAs - but no harm in trying.

Thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back