iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Jul 31, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #1,696 of 4,252
I find the iTUBE to be utterly transparent. Inserting it does nothing to the sound that I can hear. The 3D function is useful on a desktop system though. I can't hear whatever the digital anti-dote is supposed to be doing. The earth lift switch might be useful in some systems but is not needed here.

So, if you need the earth breaker or you need the pre-amp function or you need gain or you need 3D then buy an iTUBE.

If you are just going to use it as a buffer to add 'tubeyness', to my ears it does nothing. YMMV.

It isn't connected between the iDSD and the iCAN. It only feeds the TP20 mkII. I'm thinking of adding a sub so the pre-amp function will be useful if I do (T-amps don't appreciate 3-wire sub connections).

The purpose of the Digital Antidote is to fix the ringing (I think it's ringing mentioned in that old iFi post) caused by upsampled files. Since the Micro iDSD already has the BitPerfect setting, the Digital Antidote has nothing to fix. I haven't heard the iTube myself but the reviews indicate that it mostly adds the tubey/musical sound to the harsh digital sounding signals but leaves or adds little to already rich and analog sounding signals.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #1,697 of 4,252
The purpose of the Digital Antidote is to fix the ringing (I think it's ringing mentioned in that old iFi post) caused by upsampled files. Since the Micro iDSD already has the BitPerfect setting, the Digital Antidote has nothing to fix. I haven't heard the iTube myself but the reviews indicate that it mostly adds the tubey/musical sound to the harsh digital sounding signals but leaves or adds little to already rich and analog sounding signals.

I have had the iTUBE for some time now. It is entirely possible that the Optimal Transient filters on the Audiolab 8200CDQ already reduce ringing to a sufficient degree that the anti-dote has little left to do.

Reading the reviews about the iTUBE, one might easily conclude that the presence of the tube somehow makes the sound more special or more musical or less grainy or less fatiguing or some other typical audiophile description of tubeyness but this was not my experience (and I did try hard to discern some difference).

Maybe the T1 just isn't detailed enough or doesn't have a good enough treble response to show these differences. Certainly the Zu Druid MkIV's that I used to own were more transparent and more detailed than the T1. Maybe those using planar headphones or electrostatics will hear a difference.

For me the iTUBE was a waste of money as I don't really need the extra functions and it does nothing to the sound that I can hear. It reminded me to always treat reviews on the internet with caution. I could say the same about the micro iDAC. For me it was nowhere near as wonderful as the reviews all claim and did not in any way raise the bar at its price point.

The micro iDSD is a very different story. Given the choice between this and a second hand Audiolab M-DAC, my money is currently erring towards the micro iDSD being the better buy. As always though, use your own ears to decide.

:cool:

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #1,699 of 4,252
  If anyone is interested in a mint Nano, I'm selling mine. Shoot me a PM if interested.

man, I'm on that selling fence also..... but nano as a iPhone/iPad DAC/Amp and at work device seems a good "more portable iDSD" for the time being...

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #1,700 of 4,252
I charged my micro iDSD to full capacity, my Sennheiser HD 650 is connected, the cyan light is on, playing John Coltrane "Out of this world" in DSD 64... I am speechless... more impressions and photos to follow

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,702 of 4,252
​Will the Micro iDSD use all it's internal circuitry during the Burn-In process if only Headphones are used?
Or is there a part of the Circuit Board that is out of the loop at the RCA Outs?

Thanks...
bigsmile_face.gif

A PM to iFi Audio about this brought this great answer... Thanks iFi Audio!!!

"Hi,

We can confirm 95% of the micro will be burned-in if you use headphones.

So dont lose any sleep - not an issue at all.

Also, first 100 hours should see most of break-in but after 400 hours is full break-in.

Thanks

Owen"

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #1,707 of 4,252
Sorry for the ignorance, but isnt more power from the amp gives more bass and soundstage and not just more volume?and if so, why not always leave on "turbo mode"?

Why would you think that? :confused:

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #1,708 of 4,252
Sorry for the ignorance, but isnt more power from the amp gives more bass and soundstage and not just more volume?and if so, why not always leave on "turbo mode"?

Not all headphones benefits from more power.

Too much power output makes it hard to achieve the perfect volume.

Output impedance heightens

Hisses for IEMs (?)

Drains more power from USB/battery which shortens battery life

Correct me if I am wrong xD

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #1,709 of 4,252
Not sure about the other guys here but on mine there is some very noticeable balance (left/right) issue with this analog volume control when the control is between 8 and 9 o-clock.... not a huge issue and its not un common to see this on Analog Volume Controls...    so with that in mind I plug in what ever head phone or IEM and adjust the power output so that I can adjust the Volume knob to at least the 12 o clock or greater ( maybe 2 o clock at most) 
to me anyway this is the way you should use any equipment that has analog volume control...  

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #1,710 of 4,252
  Not sure about the other guys here but on mine there is some very noticeable balance (left/right) issue with this analog volume control when the control is between 8 and 9 o-clock.... not a huge issue and its not un common to see this on Analog Volume Controls...    so with that in mind I plug in what ever head phone or IEM and adjust the power output so that I can adjust the Volume knob to at least the 12 o clock or greater ( maybe 2 o clock at most) 
to me anyway this is the way you should use any equipment that has analog volume control...  

Spot on.  For my IEMs, I have IEMatch set to "High Sensitity" with the Power Mode set to "Eco".  

When listening to music on the internet I switch the Power Mode to "Normal" to allow me to use the volume knob past 12 o'clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back