iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
May 25, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #556 of 4,252
I might even replace my current Streamer with the mirco iDSD + micro iUSB. Currently I ran a NAS drive feeding a Streamer but depending how the micro iDSD turns out I might go for some used Mac Mini running AMARA and feeding the micro iDSD with the added benefit of playing DSD files which my current streamer wont be able to support (ever).

May 25, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #557 of 4,252
judging from the answers in the poll above, I believe that the new micro,  will cut a large percentage of sales of the the dsd nano...

If you use your dac mainly at your desktop, with active speakers and/or headphones, there is no reason to go for the nano instead...

unless your priority is a tiny, small factor dac, to carry with you as you travel (which is also possible even with the micro)

in every other factor, the micro will be better...

if  I new about it, I wouldn;t have bought the nano...for the use I need it, its better (all the way) the micro

May 25, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #558 of 4,252
  judging from the answers in the poll above, I believe that the new micro,  will cut a large percentage of sales of the the dsd nano...

If you use your dac mainly at your desktop, with active speakers and/or headphones, there is no reason to go for the nano instead...

unless your priority is a tiny, small factor dac, to carry with you as you travel (which is also possible even with the micro)

in every other factor, the micro will be better...

if  I new about it, I wouldn;t have bought the nano...for the use I need it, its better (all the way) the micro

The micro cost much more than the nano. 

May 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #559 of 4,252
  The micro cost much more than the nano. 

ok...cost is a factor, but its not much more expensive...in my opinion

the nano (in Europe) is listed in the 200 euro, price range, while the micro, in the 500 euro
considering the advantages of the 2 channel chip, the extra features that allows the dac to be way more "flexible" when paired with other equipment, and "all these" in a small more beautiful and usable "package" (with the rca's in the correct side - at the back of the device), then for me the difference in the price is not an issue...

damm... wish I knew...ok...the topic of the thread is about the micro...so I will stop complaining about my choise...

please continue...
normal_smile .gif

May 25, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #560 of 4,252

ok...cost is a factor, but its not much more expensive...in my opinion

For people who would bother to come to a web forum about headphones, then the cost really isn't that much more. For the average person looking to improve their computer or smartphone experience they will say "that cost more than Beats headphones!" The nano is still something people might be willing to snag to go with their iPhone.

I have been following the micro thread pretty closely, and what I haven't completely gathered yet is if the micro will actually perform better purely as a DAC over the nano iDSD. It seems like it uses the same software and hardware. It does have a volume and effects bypass and I suppose details of implementation will be better or more ideal. But I am wondering if as a standalone DAC it will really be significantly better over the nano vs just having more features.

May 25, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #561 of 4,252

For people who would bother to come to a web forum about headphones, then the cost really isn't that much more. For the average person looking to improve their computer or smartphone experience they will say "that cost more than Beats headphones!" The nano is still something people might be willing to snag to go with their iPhone.

I have been following the micro thread pretty closely, and what I haven't completely gathered yet is if the micro will actually perform better purely as a DAC over the nano iDSD. It seems like it uses the same software and hardware. It does have a volume and effects bypass and I suppose details of implementation will be better or more ideal. But I am wondering if as a standalone DAC it will really be significantly better over the nano vs just having more features.

I agree with you...the fact is that from a certain point, in order to achieve small "benefits" in sound, you must pay LOT of money...not to mention that the rest of the setup must be able to reveal the changes we have made in dacs or cables....but...

but, the way I see it,  with modern technology used and research in the field of "dacs", the progress is so fast compared with models made in previous years, that I am not willing to spent thousand of dollars or euros, for the top-notch dacs, which after a small period of time are considered to be "out of date"..

I want to be able to maintain a "balance",  between good sound and money spent...I am not rich...I m an average user, have an average system and want with the budget I have, to "buy" the best I can..

moreover, I believe the majority of us, consider "the chase of good sound" as a hobby...so, I want this "balance" in money spend, to allow me to continue this hobby, and be able to buy and try new technologies, mainly in dacs...well, I will speak only for dacs here...

other people have different opinion and method in the "pursue" of "good sound"...

they wait until the can buy the best dac, costing hundred of dollars and keep it for long period of time, as they consider that if the dac is designed in specific major areas, correctly, then differences in the supported files (pcm, dsd etc), have little to add in the final sound of the device...to sum up, they claim that a very-very good, and as a result, very-very expensive dac, can have better sound when playing even "decent" 44/16 bits (but well recorded) files, compared to an "average" dac, which can play everything you can throw at it...so they keep their expensive dac, and dont bother if it can support dsd, dxd, etc...they examine only the design of the dac..

I, also examine the design of the dac...but I have to make some compromises cause of the limits of my budget...so I check the "design" but also the features of the dac...so, can an "average" and "decent designed" dac, which supports many hi-rez files and has many features, allow me, to "catch" the performance level of a high-end dac?...don't know...probably it can't

and which "method" is more correct?...who is spending more money, at the end of the day?...me, or the "high-end fellow" ? that, don;t know either...

but as I mentioned, I see it as a hobby...and because I see it as a hobby, I want to be able to buy and try different things-technologies, within the limits of my budget...to "evolve" my hobby..

as a result, I have chosen to stay in the hobby, as an "average user" and try "average equipment" in my setup, equipment that I can easilly change if I want to, than spending thousand of dollars-euros in top-notch equipment and keeping it for 5 or more years...I will be bored to tell you the truth

you can say, I am materialistic...probably 
normal_smile .gif

May 25, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #562 of 4,252
Dont forget that the iDSD nano with the iPurifier is a great combo. Of course the iPurifier can be used with any USB DAC which gives it some added value there. Lots of possibilities... Like what was said above, for most of us with limited funds, its more fun to be able to buy a piece and play with other options given that we have some money left in the account.

May 25, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #563 of 4,252
Keeping an audio equipment for more than 5 years and call it your final rig? Nope, not if you are still on Head-Fi :D I mean after 5 years you may be still keeping the audio equipment but chances are, you will upgrade it after some time. Head-Fi virus is fully installed in us, not even the best anti virus can protect you from that but you, your self control (but Head-Fi lowers it when it comes to audio :wink: )

I do see the difference in value for both Micro and nano IMO. Look into iCan micro and nano. *I love the chasis, who designed it?*

May 27, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #565 of 4,252
The Final Countdown

We are truly sorry…
We have shown the beta micro iDSD in Tokyo and Munich, everyone who saw it was amazed by it.

However, we have to hang our heads in shame.

We have let you all down, we were just unable to produce the micro iDSD with the same features as the beta unit shown in Tokyo and Munich.

Call it fate, it just wasn’t to be. The winners on this thread are not going to get anything close to the beta micro iDSD and neither are the people on the waiting list.

So here is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth…
The production micro iDSD is going to annihilate the beta micro iDSD!!!

The production micro iDSD is going to make the beta micro iDSD look like yesteryear technology!

Over the past few months, in a secure mountainside facility, the iFi skunkworks team has been burning the midnight oil, beavering away to bring you some absolutely stonking features in the forthcoming micro iDSD.

The nano iDSD has already blazed a trail. Well, the micro iDSD will be the most out of this world iFi product yet – the ground beneath the advanced DAC sector is already quaking.

The production micro iDSD is going take the audio sector to another level. Oh yes it is.

As we approach the official global launch of the micro iDSD (beginning of July), we are going to gradually announce the mind-blowing features of the production micro iDSD. All of the suggested features that were popular in this Crowd-Design thread we took to heart. We ran with them and then added a dash of “Factor X.”

The culmination of all this is that the micro iDSD is going to be a DAC headamp that will leave all others DACs floundering in its wake. Like a Gerald R. Ford class aircraft carrier in a sea of Ford-Class defence boats.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Countdown_(film) (1980 movie)

The Fantastic Three

The features fall into two categories.

Category 1. "Outta this World." (OTW)
There are 3 and each is jaw-droppingly good. We shall give divulge them in ascending order of mind-blowingness.

But to make it fun because you like a challenge (and so do we), we will be giving out clues as to what they are. To begin with, the clues will be quite abstract but over the coming days/weeks, they will gradually zero in.

- Who will be the first to guess all 3 features?

- Will any of you be able to successfully guess all 3 “Outta this World” features before all the clues are out of the bag?

- hint: see the above picture for the first clue to OTW Feature #3

Category 2. "Super Duper” (SD)
Covers exclusive iFi features. Some are new, some have trickled-down from AMR, some are carried over from other iFi products which you guys on this Crowd-Design thread have voted for.

For sure, each and every single feature will allow you to squeeze so much sonic performance out of the cigarillo-sized micro iDSD that you not stop listening to music with the micro iDSD. You will just not stop grinning from ear to ear (no pun intended).

Today, looking at the final prototype of the micro iDSD, we still cannot believe how “feature-rich and sonically-stonking” the micro iDSD is going to be.

We are buzzed! Are you ready?  We sure are!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 27, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #567 of 4,252
It will be capable of time travel?

Jokes aside , my iDSD nano , iCAN nano & iTube Micro , when put and played together , are absolutely capable of time travelling , passing hours in minutes ! Insanely good products !

May 27, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #569 of 4,252
So it came through a vortex in the Pacific ocean?

The culmination of all this is that the micro iDSD is going to be a DAC headamp that will leave all others DACs floundering in its wake. Like a Gerald R. Ford class aircraft carrier in a sea of Ford-Class defence boats.

Them is some powerful words...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back