iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
May 28, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #586 of 4,252
  I think that a Lightning connector could explain the removable/upgradable USB card.  ifi may also be planning other modular connectivity through the USB card interface like I2S, or an upgrade option for noise isolation.  Just my guesses...

One update to these guess.  Since the USB port is the source of signal and power, it may make more sense that the connection options be USB, FireWire and Lightning connectors.  

May 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #588 of 4,252

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Countdown_(film) (1980 movie)

see the above picture for the first clue to OTW Feature #3

Considering your announcement on your FB page, it could be something related to power supply.
Micro iDSD's price should be around 500 euros you say, that is equivalent to the price of micro iDSD + iUSB.
Considering that you might want to have similar prices for the same line of products, the iDSD could merge the two, integrating a stable and pure power supply through the battery. USB will charge the battery filtering distortion from usb (computer). 
This is my guess, I have no idea if it is technically possible or not!
Maybe there could be two USB ports in the back of the iDSD, one for signal+power and one for power only (having the other one working for signal only, just like on the iUSB). This will be perfect for normal USB cables or a Gemini cable upgrade 

May 28, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #589 of 4,252

Considering your announcement on your FB page, it could be something related to power supply.
Micro iDSD's price should be around 500 euros you say, that is equivalent to the price of micro iDSD + iUSB.
Considering that you might want to have similar prices for the same line of products, the iDSD could merge the two, integrating a stable and pure power supply through the battery. USB will charge the battery filtering distortion from usb (computer). 
This is my guess, I have no idea if it is technically possible or not!
Maybe there could be two USB ports in the back of the iDSD, one for signal+power and one for power only (having the other one working for signal only, just like on the iUSB). This will be perfect for normal USB cables or a Gemini cable upgrade 

I don't think its the implementation of the iUSB. I just bought one some weeks ago and it really needs its own box for all the electronics inside (by judging the pictures available on the web). Furthermore I don't think there is any space for two USB ports at the back of the micro iDSD. 

What i still hope for is the implementation of galvanic isolation (i.e. what the iPurifier does). I think its pretty much a standard in USB audio these days and i consider it a must, I am currently holding back on purchasing a seperate iPurifier until I am 100% sure if its implemented or not

May 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #590 of 4,252
Maybe the picture is suggesting there will be galvanic isolation.  Ships have a unique electrical wiring system where neutral is not tied to ground.  The lightning bolt should not affect the "essential" controls of the ship due to how faults are handled on a ship.  Hmm...

May 28, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #591 of 4,252
  Maybe the picture is suggesting there will be galvanic isolation.  Ships have a unique electrical wiring system where neutral is not tied to ground.  The lightning bolt should not affect the "essential" controls of the ship due to how faults are handled on a ship.  Hmm...

most interesting thought, i am intrigued....

May 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #592 of 4,252
Super Duper Features 1.1.
The Dual-Core Burr-Brown DACs

Background
Due to cost constraints surrounding an extra DAC chipset and added parts count, few DACs at any price feature more than 1 chipset. But the micro iDSD features x2, hence Dual-Core.

Technical Explanation
Doubling the DAC results in 3dB lower in noise floor and better channel separation. In layman terms, together with other power supply improvements and advanced channel interleaving, the noise floor of the iDSD micro has been halved. All of this = stellar sonic performance.

How this benefits the listener 
Better inner resolution, better tonality. More meatier sound, hence codename "Meaty Monster." It really does give a hefty and weight to all genres of music. The only apt analogy is that compared with other DACs, what you here is sometimes only the bones, but the micro iDSD puts flesh and meat to the bones. This should not be confused with more bass. As every instrument throughout the dynamic range has greater gravitas.

With singers, you have Sarah McLachlan at the upper end and Julia Fordham at the lower end of the vocal range. The micro iDSD gives that greater realism and definition to these two singers and if you heard either live, you would say, "yup" that is more like the real deal.

Sarah McLachlan: When She Loved Me

Julia Fordham: Love Moves in Mysterious Ways

Now where did we leave our Kleenex?

Outta This World feature #3.

The next clue is:

(hint: foreground and background clues)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 28, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #594 of 4,252

Outta This World feature #3.

The next clue is:

(hint: foreground and background clues)

Ok, so the wind farm in the background could symbolise clean power. Perhaps this is an integration of the tech in the IPurifier?

May 28, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #595 of 4,252
Does the picture suggest that the unit will run off of battery power until the batteries need to recharged?  That is when the utility or USB power will take over.

May 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #596 of 4,252
Maybe mountainous power? Lots of power, more than 400mw of the ican?

May 28, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #597 of 4,252
by golly I hope this iFi teasing doesn't go on for long!  It's painful and excruciating.

despite already owning nano iDSD, GO450, HiFi-M8,  this micro iDSD has me fully engaged!

May 28, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #599 of 4,252
High power, good snr and whatnot. Also gain settings!

May 28, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #600 of 4,252
[Lightening conductor]
Quote:
Nice guess! Don't know what benefit this would bring, though, and I don't see a whole lot of people asking for this...

You, obviously, never suffered a direct strike to the ear.

Switchable tube.

So people can prove it sounds the same in a blind test

Technical Explanation
Doubling the DAC results in 3dB lower in noise floor

Anyone complain that they could hear the noise floor before? When people tell me that some tweak resulted in a lower noise floor, I tell them that, if I could hear the noise floor, I'd throw that equipment away. (exception: my turntable, of course)

Look, I know I'm just boring, but enough of the party games and the hyper marketing. Please. Just go back to to the old role of making some nice kit and selling it normally. It's getting tedious.

OK... so now everybody hates me. Hey, it's not so bad that I threw the iCAN out of the window.

Yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back