iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
May 1, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #3,826 of 4,252
Bigger battery and more power are givens. I don't find those being worth $400..

If bigger battery, more power and additional features aren't worth it to you, and you don't hear any significant differences on your gear, then save your money and move on.

Having Sensitive IEMs like Andromedas and more power hungry planars like HE-5LEs and HE-560s, it is very difficult to find a single amp that can drive them well. The Micro BL does that with aplomb and there are headphones in my collection that benefit from the 3D and XBASS.

I think most of us here trust iFi's responses here and on their own webpage over what is on an Amazon page. And I think most of us here are pretty clear on the battery charging situation and accept that state of affairs as the best that could be achieved for a device with these performance capabilities.

May 1, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #3,827 of 4,252
What is on the Amazon page is from an iFi representative, for crying out loud. Do you people not realize that you're just on an obscure forum and how tucked away the iFi FAQ is? Even that disregarded, there's a clear contradiction here. I couldn't care less what you people trust. You are not more authoritative than an iFi representative on Amazon. I'm not asking for clarification from you. If I were an iFi representative in this thread I would find it pretty important to address a contradiction like this, directly on Amazon. This isn't about me, it isn't about you, it's about the information on the product in a place that is pretty significant. Many people are not going to be aware of the existence of this forum, let alone attach significance to this thread and fish for information, and when they read something on Amazon from an iFi representative they're not going to fish out the FAQ on iFi's site to check for possible contradictions.

May 1, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #3,828 of 4,252
What is on the Amazon page is from an iFi representative, for crying out loud. Do you people not realize that you're just on an obscure forum and how tucked away the iFi FAQ is? Even that disregarded, there's a clear contradiction here. I couldn't care less what you people trust. You are not more authoritative than an iFi representative on Amazon. I'm not asking for clarification from you. If I were an iFi representative in this thread I would find it pretty important to address a contradiction like this, directly on Amazon. This isn't about me, it isn't about you, it's about the information on the product in a place that is pretty significant. Many people are not going to be aware of the existence of this forum, let alone attach significance to this thread and fish for information, and when they read something on Amazon from an iFi representative they're not going to fish out the FAQ on iFi's site to check for possible contradictions.
I believe they have a support email address than you can write to so that they, not anyone who is not IFI audio, can directly address your concerns.

May 1, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #3,829 of 4,252

r-e-l-a-x. If Micro BL isn't for you, then move on.

May 1, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #3,830 of 4,252
I just want to know how well the battery is preserved. I really want both a desktop and portable DAC/amp solution and while I may not be crazy about the value I'm getting at the moment it's going to be either the Nano or Micro as I find the Mojo harsh. Given I'm also going away from the extremely easy to drive HEXv2 it will probably end up being the Micro BL.

May 1, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #3,831 of 4,252
Soon these post going to be edited out.

May 1, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #3,833 of 4,252
May 1, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #3,834 of 4,252
There's no banter, it's concrete questions and concerns stemming from statements made directly by iFi. Not to mention much of the point of this forum is "banter", posting impressions and having a back and forth. It's sort of an adult thing to do.

May 1, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #3,835 of 4,252
There's no banter, it's concrete questions and concerns stemming from statements made directly by iFi. Not to mention much of the point of this forum is "banter", posting impressions and having a back and forth. It's sort of an adult thing to do.
So you think this "obscure" forum is a better place to get that info from ifi than opening a support ticket and getting something constructive out of your time? Perhaps my thinking is entirely misconceived and you're just venting for whatever reason.

May 1, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #3,836 of 4,252
I think this stuff should be as public as possible. Again, this is not something that applies to an individual. If what I'm being told here is true then the representative on Amazon is misleading about the product, intention notwithstanding. That should be sorted out so potential buyers aren't given false impressions.

I also like how no one here bothered sharing their experiences with the battery as a whole. Or are all of you using the Micro BL primarily as a (trans)portable DAC/amp?

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #3,837 of 4,252
I think this stuff should be as public as possible. Again, this is not something that applies to an individual. If what I'm being told here is true then the representative on Amazon is misleading about the product, intention notwithstanding. That should be sorted out so potential buyers aren't given false impressions.

I also like how no one here bothered sharing their experiences with the battery as a whole. Or are all of you using the Micro BL primarily as a (trans)portable DAC/amp?
Well I cant speak for others but yes i only use the Bl as a transportable DAC/amp and the dedicated dac duty to the stereo system is done by the ifi iOne. I agree with you about the information being public, what i am saying is opening a support ticket would get a more conclusive answer.

May 1, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #3,838 of 4,252
I've seen a representative around here so was hoping for a response.

Here's how I'm planning to use the Micro BL if I keep it. Constantly plugged into my PC in Normal or Turbo mode. Occasional and relatively light use portably. How long will the battery last, i.e. how long will the device last? Now I don't even know what I should be doing to handle it best and whether I would get interruption.

May 2, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #3,839 of 4,252
My understanding (and experience) is that the micro BL will run indefinitely when supplied with a 500 mA USB in Eco mode, but discharges in normal or turbo. However, with a USB hub that supports 2 amp fast charging (or the iUSB power supplies) then the BL will go a really long time (maybe forever) in normal mode. The blue charging light stays lit only for 30 seconds or so after turning off the device after several hours in normal mode when using the iUSB nano. That makes me think it’s at near full charge.

I almost never use turbo mode. The power output is really high in normal mode. Only when listening to really quiet classical tracks using the HD6XX do I use turbo. In that case the BL seems to warm up and the charging light stays on after turning it off even when connected to the iUSB.

As far as not noticing a difference between the nano and micro, I can’t comment. However I notice the difference (major improvement) in sound quality with the BL vs. a dragonfly red with harder to drive headphones (HD6xx, AFC, etc.) vs. easier to drive (ATH-m50x, MSR7, etc.).

Overall I really love this device and use it more than my jotunheim most days.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #3,840 of 4,252
I've seen a representative around here so was hoping for a response.

Here's how I'm planning to use the Micro BL if I keep it. Constantly plugged into my PC in Normal or Turbo mode. Occasional and relatively light use portably. How long will the battery last, i.e. how long will the device last? Now I don't even know what I should be doing to handle it best and whether I would get interruption.
As has already been stated, the info is already here on the forum. Indeed it is in this very thread. Please learn to use the search. We are not your personal assistants, sitting here waiting to endlessly repeat ourselves.

It took all of 5 seconds to find this post:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ids...se-info-page-153.711217/page-60#post-10646012

which answers your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back