IC: B&W P5 vs Beyer T50p vs Senn HD25-1 Shootout
Jan 11, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #16 of 48
The one thing I will add, compared to the HD25 and P5, as good as the treble extension is on the T50P, there is an unnatural coloration to the upper frequencies which is easy to pick out... Easily forgotten after a few minutes of listening, but - once you pick up on it, it's always there in the back of your mind... Obviously YMMV and this may really work for you - just something additional to note.

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #17 of 48
Very interesting read.

Proglover may I ask why you didn't like the AiAiAi TMA-1?

But, I agree the T50P are great for rock and acoustic music.  You might be surprised on how well it can handle some classical songs as well.

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #18 of 48

Quote:

Proglover may I ask why you didn't like the AiAiAi TMA-1?

Offcourse.
I'm not very comfortable yet describing sound in English, but I'll do my best;
the sound was dark, much darker than T50's. I expected it to be a nice alternative with a good punch off bass, but it didn't have that either. As a whole, the sound was just 'monotome' to me, with no 'dynamics'. Boring, too far away also.

I honestly couldn't imagine this was a 180 euro/usd priced headphone, I was surprisingly dissapointed.

I guess price doesn't tell it all, plus, everyone his own taste.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #19 of 48
You did got me interested in those P5's, Duncan.

I'm getting them, should be here next week

the search for portable headphone nirvana goes on. If I don't like them, p5's are not hard to lose i think.

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #20 of 48
Hey Proglover...

I hope you like them! (or, like you say, even if you don't, they'll be easy to pass on)...

...My only advice, as per my description earlier, the P5 and T50p are such polar opposites that if you listen to the T50p when the P5 turn up, they'll probably sound awful...

There is plenty of love available in the P5 though, extra especially for vocals (as I've been finding out lately) :)

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #21 of 48

Quote:
Hey Proglover...

I hope you like them! (or, like you say, even if you don't, they'll be easy to pass on)...

...My only advice, as per my description earlier, the P5 and T50p are such polar opposites that if you listen to the T50p when the P5 turn up, they'll probably sound awful...

There is plenty of love available in the P5 though, extra especially for vocals (as I've been finding out lately) :)

How about the HD25s? How do they do with vocals compared to the P5? I really like vocals and I might made a wrong decision buying the HD25 (still not arrived).
Does the HD25 have more detail than the P5?

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #22 of 48
Thanks Duncan:)

about the HD-25's yliu: I don't have them, but listened to them as on of the first potential cans when I began with this headphone hobby. They're pretty fast, punchy headphones, in my memory a lot better than TMA-1's, but I found the clampage a bit strong, at that moment I preferred some Beyerdynamics as full size cans.

I think that HD25's have a bit more detail than P5's, but I'm not sure about that, so to others; correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #23 of 48
So I got the P5's this morning

this is very very VERY different from T50's. These B&W's have more in common with ESW9's, although those differ too, but are less opposites then p5-T50

I don't know if I can listen to these exclusively for a couple of days, because my Denon D7000's also came in today, but the first listening session with P5 is not very positive. (although Sinatra's swinging sessions do sound fine on these). The sound signature reminds me a little bit of two things actually, at first hearing: my B&W 603 speakers and my PX-100
blink.gif

But I've learned not to judge a headphone by first hearing. If my opinion stays this way, I'll sell them or trade for E(S)W10's, to try those.

About the looks and built: fantastic! I mean, I thought the ESW9 were one of the most beautiful (portable) headphones I've had/seen, but these are way better looking, yet different offcourse. I love that the pads are attached with magnets, how cool is that!

Comfort is definitely above average. More comfortable then T50's, way more then HD-25's, comparible with ESW9 to me.

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #24 of 48
My HD25-1 II just arrived, and I love them! Crisp clear highs, clear lush mids, and punchy bass that extends plenty low. From the other reviews I'd excepted less bass.

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #25 of 48
congrats, enjoy them!

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #26 of 48

Quote:
My HD25-1 II just arrived, and I love them! Crisp clear highs, clear lush mids, and punchy bass that extends plenty low. From the other reviews I'd excepted less bass.

yliu.

I'm glad you like them as they are, but they can be improved greatly.

When people don't believe a cable swap can be heard I AB the standard steel cable with an APS V2.  Faces smile with the realisation that they were wrong.  My HD25's are now 'blessed' with TWAg cables and they transform them into the king of durable audiophile headphones.
Not a good as JH13's but very enjoyable.

Happy listening but the journey is never over!

Sceptre

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #27 of 48

Quote:
yliu.

I'm glad you like them as they are, but they can be improved greatly.

When people don't believe a cable swap can be heard I AB the standard steel cable with an APS V2.  Faces smile with the realisation that they were wrong.  My HD25's are now 'blessed' with TWAg cables and they transform them into the king of durable audiophile headphones.
Not a good as JH13's but very enjoyable.

Happy listening but the journey is never over!

Sceptre

Uhmmm... 225 USD for a cable, I guess I can't afford it right now.

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #29 of 48
I was bitterly disappointed with the P5. I'm far from a treble teak, but the P5 was just WAAAY too dark. I prefer the T50p, but as Duncan put quite well, there is a strange coloration to them that sometimes I completely forget about, but sometimes I can't. I liked the HD25-II a lot when I had them, except for the comfort, which I thought was much too vice-like.

Sadly, the perfect $300 portable headphone has yet to avail itself, at least to me...

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #30 of 48
I think a good headphone should be good with all sorts of music. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. 

And hellz yeah we want to see that shootout. :)

Quote:
So, I am not quite as into doing the whole review thing as I was a few years back, yet I realised after getting the B&Ws last week that I have three of the main (easy to buy without importing) contenders in the $200-$350 portable headphone range...

Anyways, seeing that I am asking this in the portables forum, this would - if wanted, have my iPhone 4G and Fiio E7 as my source / amp, but I would leave the preferred choice of music up to you...

...So, if you'd like to see a shootout between the three sets of cans listed in the title, please vote in my little poll, and then post which genre of music you would prefer for me to review with...

If you don't want a review, still vote - but, no need to post :wink:

Majority takes it...

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back