IC: B&W P5 vs Beyer T50p vs Senn HD25-1 Shootout
Dec 30, 2010 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I am not quite as into doing the whole review thing as I was a few years back, yet I realised after getting the B&Ws last week that I have three of the main (easy to buy without importing) contenders in the $200-$350 portable headphone range...

Anyways, seeing that I am asking this in the portables forum, this would - if wanted, have my iPhone 4G and Fiio E7 as my source / amp, but I would leave the preferred choice of music up to you...

...So, if you'd like to see a shootout between the three sets of cans listed in the title, please vote in my little poll, and then post which genre of music you would prefer for me to review with...

If you don't want a review, still vote - but, no need to post :wink:

Majority takes it...

Thanks.

Dec 30, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 48
I can't imagine anyone saying no to a shoot-out between those three portable headphones.

Anyway, I personally like to run headphones through ballads and then a good measure of hip hops and rock to measure how well a headphone perform (one of the reason why I like to run through X-Japan's Art of Life as my test so much). Of course, whatever you feel comfortable to write about!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 48
May I suggest a few albums in lossless ? They're not necessarily the kind of music I like, but they're great for testing headphones as their recording quality is excellent :

Massive Attack - Angel
Beck - Sea Changes
Parov Stelar - Seven and Storm
Alan Parsons - A Valid Path
Four Tet - Pause
Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Akira Soundtrack
Kenji Kawai - Ghost In The Shell Soundtrack
James Horner - Avatar Soundtrack
Jean Michel Jarre - Zoolook
Juno Reactor - Shango
Diana Krall - Live in Paris
Passengers - Original Soundtrack 1
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Recoil - Liquid
Talk Talk - The Colour Of Spring
Tom Tykwer - The Perfume Soundtrack
Wagon Christ - Musipal

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 48
Please do

with some (prog)rock/metal

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 48
You are probably the first one who compares these 3 cans! Can't wait for your review!
I was thinking of buying a portable can a while ago, and those 3 were my top choices. I ended up with the HD25-1 II Adidas Originals, because it had a lot of reviews on how great the sound and build quality is.
On the other hand, P5 had mixed reviews and it came out not so long ago (not "time tested'). So I thought I'd just go with the Sennheisers and wait until B&W comes out with something new.

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 48
Sorry Everyone...

Work commitments and other things have kept me away from doing this...

I guess, rather than a full blown review (which - so it seems, 2011 will not allow me to do easily) - If you want to ask questions, and I will answer them - Although, please consider - as this is in the portables forum, and - as per my first post, this will be done with portable equipment...

...I am sure that at some point I will get around to a proper comparison / review, but in the interim - I hope this suggestion helps...

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 48
ok.....how would you rate rock/metal music on the three headphones, according to your sound preferences?

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 48
My sound preferences bounce around like a yo-yo, and the problem with the three cans in question is that ultimately they are so damned different... The easiest way to sum it up in a one paragraph review is that the P5 is geared for bass (contrary to some opinions here, I find these quite bassy) - and vocals - really intimate there IMO... The Senns are jack of all trades, do it all cans, where the Beyers are the treble superstars... I do not believe I have heard hi-hats sounding so crisp / accurate as I have from these!!

Now, back to the question... If you give your ears a couple of days rest from headphones, then try the P5's, they will amaze you with their tone... These have been tuned brilliantly, albeit in a way that makes them sound potentially not so good compared to the other favourites on this forum... The P5s need an investment of your time to shine, as such, these work brilliantly with rock / metal... Whether it be drums, or the screech of a guitar, these will put a smile on your face...

For those without time to invest, the Senns will ultimately be the best 'middle ground' choice, never doing anything perfectly, yet never really letting you down, which is unfortunately what the Beyers do with these genres, sounding just too thin and bright to rock out to - although I should add the caveat that my Beyers are first gen (pre change of ear pads) so my overall fit may be off, but having the smallest driver housing I still feel they will be at a general disadvantage for these genres...

Sorry for the rambling way this post has gone, but it is harder than I thought to compares apples to oranges to grapefruit lol

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #11 of 48
No it's fine, you've stated in very clearly and understandable, thank you!

Thing is, I use the T50's for prog.rock/metal and acoustic types of music (newer type earpads). I have a strange relationship with it. Too thin, yes I hear that too, most of the time. Too bright, no definitely not, but I like a little bit brightness with these types of music. But I just can't give a real verdict for myself for my types of music with the Beyers.

When I put them on and listen, i hear it's missing something (too thin), but when I listen for a couple of minutes, I get accustomed to the sound, and like its strengts more than its disadvantages; the easy separation, the brightness (a little bit too much for rock, but way way better than the ESW9 i had before, which was just muddy, I completely disliked that with rock), indeed the cymbals sound of the drums.

Overall, for my music way better according to my taste, then ESW9. The HD-25 is simply too uncomfortable for me to consider, but I am interested in the beautiful looking P5. I'm in doubt whether to buy p5 and sell t50 if I like them more, or return p5 when liking t50 more. But on the other hand, there is something special about the T50 sound. I don't know if I want to miss that. I'm afraid I'll end up keeping both of them....

Finally, the cord of T50's, not good. Very thin and a hooked plug.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #13 of 48

Quote:
you should consider aiaiai tma1 too, imho they are better than t50p, and denon d2000 too

take a look at my signature, the line 'Gone'
redface.gif

Didn't like that sound, definitely not my cup of tea (everyone his own preferences)
:)

There are 2 portables out there at the moment that I would consider: P5 or ES10

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #14 of 48

Quote:
No it's fine, you've stated in very clearly and understandable, thank you!

Thing is, I use the T50's for prog.rock/metal and acoustic types of music (newer type earpads). I have a strange relationship with it. Too thin, yes I hear that too, most of the time. Too bright, no definitely not, but I like a little bit brightness with these types of music. But I just can't give a real verdict for myself for my types of music with the Beyers.

When I put them on and listen, i hear it's missing something (too thin), but when I listen for a couple of minutes, I get accustomed to the sound, and like its strengts more than its disadvantages; the easy separation, the brightness (a little bit too much for rock, but way way better than the ESW9 i had before, which was just muddy, I completely disliked that with rock), indeed the cymbals sound of the drums.

Overall, for my music way better according to my taste, then ESW9. The HD-25 is simply too uncomfortable for me to consider, but I am interested in the beautiful looking P5. I'm in doubt whether to buy p5 and sell t50 if I like them more, or return p5 when liking t50 more. But on the other hand, there is something special about the T50 sound. I don't know if I want to miss that. I'm afraid I'll end up keeping both of them....

Finally, the cord of T50's, not good. Very thin and a hooked plug.

I thought as well that they sounded quite thin, until I decided to go for some brutal headband twisting, and it improved their "body" considerably.

Oh and the cord isn't as rubbish as it looks. First of all, why is there stuck somewhere in our minds as some basic cognitive concept that thicker means stronger ? I've only had one cable issue and it was with the Shure SE420 which has one of the thickest cables around there.
And the hooked plug is actually very good when you put it in your jean pockets : the cable is going tot follow the folds of the tissu when you'll walk. A straight plug creates additional tension on the source headphone out.
Also, the T50p cord seems quite entanglement-free at least relative to the one on the ESW10.

EDIT : I used them with the new pads, which are to me, as I was able to compare them, but not directly, easier to get a good fit with.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #15 of 48
as I use it with the amp, in the pocket of my coat, there's more tension on whole thing then when it would be straight, which is the reason I want it straight.
don't know exactly how to put that in English, but the cable goes up, while the hooked plug want it to go to the right (the straight plug would be just 'up')

true about that a thinner cable doesn't have to be worse that a thick cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back