iBasso SR3 — 150Ω version of the SR2
Feb 1, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #46 of 290
wonder how this will fare against the hd660s2
I am guessing Very different types of headphones. I own the SR2's and owned the HD660's. They were Nothing alike.
I wonder if people would cross shop them as they are both new? I would guess most people would be hard in one camp or the other.

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #47 of 290
I am guessing Very different types of headphones. I own the SR2's and owned the HD660's. They were Nothing alike.
I wonder if people would cross shop them as they are both new? I would guess most people would be hard in one camp or the other.
i see......i too possibly figured i might get myself a used set of hd660s2 a year or 2 down the road just for the sake curiosity (since my first and only serious headphone was a hd558), since both are at exactly loggerhead in msrp pricing.

anyway, i ordered a set of sr3 recently, likely will arrive 2 weeks later on my end....will run it with a newly purchased fiio k7

i'm no particular audiophile, but just want to consider a treat for myself after owning the hd558 for almost 10 years :upside_down:

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #48 of 290
i see......i too possibly figured i might get myself a used set of hd660s2 a year or 2 down the road just for the sake curiosity (since my first and only serious headphone was a hd558), since both are at exactly loggerhead in msrp pricing.

anyway, i ordered a set of sr3 recently, likely will arrive 2 weeks later on my end....will run it with a newly purchased fiio k7

i'm no particular audiophile, but just want to consider a treat for myself after owning the hd558 for almost 10 years :upside_down:
If the SR3 is similar to the SR2, it will give you a nice bit of bass.
Which the HD660 would Never have given you. They are saying the HD660 S2 will have good bass. You can put me in the skeptic column. I have owned 7 pairs of Sennheisers and never found them much bassier than my Grado's. At least Grado makes their mids and above Amazing.

Feb 1, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #49 of 290
After reading through the marketing materials of sr3 in their china webpage, other than the aforementioned increase in impedance, their cables seems to hold a special attention compared to the sr2. SR3's stock cables are 6N single crystal copper, compared to the silver plated copper of the sr2. @voja mentioned in his detailed sr2 review, their representative mentioned that anything above 4N gets less cost effective. So maybe half of the price increase goes to this particular set of stock cables :smile:

Feb 1, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #50 of 290
After reading through the marketing materials of sr3 in their china webpage, other than the aforementioned increase in impedance, their cables seems to hold a special attention compared to the sr2. SR3's stock cables are 6N single crystal copper, compared to the silver plated copper of the sr2. @voja mentioned in his detailed sr2 review, their representative mentioned that anything above 4N gets less cost effective. So maybe half of the price increase goes to this particular set of stock cables :smile:
Not sure I see the value in upgrading, honestly. Curious to hear the reviews though.

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #52 of 290
Yeah, I'm not sure either. Gonna wait for the full review from Voja. I trust his ears and articulation skills. No pressure bud lol.
Thank you!

Well, I've got some good news for everybody. There definitely is an audible difference between the two. The main question in my review that I will try to answer is whether or not it makes sense to own both the SR2 and the SR3.

I just released the review for the Altiat CAL.1H. I'll try to start writing about the SR3 as soon as possible... But as you know, @Mhog55, there's always something in my way causing a delay.

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #53 of 290
Hello,

I am currently looking for a good pair of headphones for Rap songs (Travis Scott, Drake etc.) and hesitating a lot. I don't really know what i should buy.

In my list I have these two :
- iBasso SR3 (600 EUROS)
- Focal Radiance (670 EUROS)
- Aeon Closed X (430 EUROS)

In term of bass punch whil maintening a good clarity which one would be better ?

I’ve already tested two headphones : Meze 99 and Focal Celestee.
The Meze 99 was too warm, it was like if everything was muddy with too much in the bass so I really didn’t like them.
For the Focal Celestee it was interesting, they sounded really clear, but there was just not enough bass impact/punch for me.

If you have some recommendations don’t hesitate to reply, i would like to not spend more than 700 EUROS on the headphone, ideally 600 EUROS.

In case you ask, for the DAC/AMP i can buy an iFi Zen Dac v2 or SMSL C200.

Thanks a lot in advance

(PS: I might create a forum post to have more recommendations)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #54 of 290
Hello,

I am currently looking for a good pair of headphones for Rap songs (Travis Scott, Drake etc.) and hesitating a lot. I don't really know what i should buy.

In my list I have these two :
- iBasso SR3
- Focal Radiance
- Aeon Closed X

In term of bass punch whil maintening a good clarity which one would be better ?

I’ve already tested two headphones : Meze 99 and Focal Celestee.
The Meze 99 was too warm, it was like if everything was muddy with too much in the bass so I really didn’t like them.
For the Focal Celestee it was interesting, they sounded really clear, but there was just not enough bass impact/punch for me.

If you have some recommendations don’t hesitate to reply.

Thanks a lot in advance

(PS: I m ight create a forum post to have more recommendations)
I can only offer actual experience on one 'phone on your list and that would the Radiance. They have good, strong bass in a very balanced headphone. Not sure if they would suffice for rap. They certainly are not basshead 'phones.

I have not heard the SR3, but I do own the SR2 and I think they might be a good fit for rap. Very bass driven, but nice mids. To me they're a little soft in upper registers, but that works for me. I have Grado's for the high stuff. But of course I have never heard the SR3, so I am speculating.

I am not a DCA fan in general for a few reasons:
1) Mis-shapen pads that have to be adjusted regularly.
2) Glued on pads.
3) Cables are less common and will cost more to replace/upgrade
4) Require more power to drive. This may also be an issue with the new SR3's.

I will throw out something else for you: CFA Cascades. I think they may be discontinued now. Tons of bass, although it is a little messy.

Happy hunting

Feb 2, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #55 of 290
I just noticed now we have an SR3 thread too.
By the way, it’s definitely not open back like the title says. It’s more of a closed back than any other closed back phones I have. It hardly lets out any sound.

However it has a much wider and spacious sound compared to closed backs which does make you believe it’s an open back. Best of both worlds ?
It's an open back headphone but because of the design
The cable is of very very good quality. Everything about this headphone the SR3 is high quality. Man I love this headphone soo much.

Feb 2, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #56 of 290

I have the Fiio K7 and runs great from it.

Feb 2, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #57 of 290
It's an open back headphone but because of the design

The cable is of very very good quality. Everything about this headphone the SR3 is high quality. Man I love this headphone soo much.
I have the Fiio K7 and runs great from it.
Great to know that you are satisfied with this set of headphone. We are running it identical then :beyersmile:

Judging by your username, presumably, you're the one that left the 5 star comment on bloomaudio?

Feb 2, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #58 of 290
Feb 2, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #59 of 290
I can only offer actual experience on one 'phone on your list and that would the Radiance. They have good, strong bass in a very balanced headphone. Not sure if they would suffice for rap. They certainly are not basshead 'phones.

I have not heard the SR3, but I do own the SR2 and I think they might be a good fit for rap. Very bass driven, but nice mids. To me they're a little soft in upper registers, but that works for me. I have Grado's for the high stuff. But of course I have never heard the SR3, so I am speculating.

I am not a DCA fan in general for a few reasons:
1) Mis-shapen pads that have to be adjusted regularly.
2) Glued on pads.
3) Cables are less common and will cost more to replace/upgrade
4) Require more power to drive. This may also be an issue with the new SR3's.

I will throw out something else for you: CFA Cascades. I think they may be discontinued now. Tons of bass, although it is a little messy.

Happy hunting

Hello, good to ear that the Radiance might be good for what i want.

Cascades are in stock in France but at 899 EUROS, so too much for me sadly.

I've upaded my original post with budget and per headphones price.

Thanks for the answer :)

Feb 2, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #60 of 290
Hello, good to ear that the Radiance might be good for what i want.

Cascades are in stock in France but at 899 EUROS, so too much for me sadly.

I've upaded my original post with budget and per headphones price.

Thanks for the answer :)
I own the SR2 and recently sold my Radiance. I know I'm in the minority, but nothing stood out regarding the Radiance. Not bad by any means, but nothing special either. That being said, it is an easy listen, but I think the SR2 has better sonic characteristics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back