iBasso SR3 — 150Ω version of the SR2
Jan 28, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #31 of 281
From what I remember, you will find that move to be a large upgrade. I had the X2's for a while, but it didn't work out.
Maybe some dealers will start discounting SR2's? :relaxed:
"Dealers" is the sticking point for me. The only reason I never bought any DAPs is the only way you could get one was directly from iBasso (at the time I was looking anyways). I really don't want to have to deal with Intl shipping in case of warranty issues.
Some quick math at Bloom's site and the price for an SR3 is getting dangerously close to 4 digits once you consider duties and the sad, sad value of the Canadian Peso

Also, why does the thread title mention the SR3 are an open back version of the SR2. Everything I've read about the SR2 says they are open backed

Jan 28, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #32 of 281
Also, why does the thread title mention the SR3 are an open back version of the SR2. Everything I've read about the SR2 says they are open backed
For whatever reason, the SR2 was marketed as an open-back headphone, when in reality it is a semi-open headphone. I covered this subject thoroughly in my SR2 review.

If you go to the first page of this thread, take a look at the second photo. You can actually see the driver beneath the grill on the SR3—this was not the case with the SR2, which featured two grills. SR2 behaves like a semi-open headphone, therefore I consider and labeled it as such.

Aside from the SR3 being the open-back version of the SR2, it is a 150Ω headphone. Other than that and the cable, everything appears to be just about the same.

I apologize for any confusion caused.

Jan 28, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #33 of 281
For whatever reason, the SR2 was marketed as an open-back headphone, when in reality it is a semi-open headphone. I covered this subject thoroughly in my SR2 review.

If you go to the first page of this thread, take a look at the second photo. You can actually see the driver beneath the grill on the SR3—this was not the case with the SR2, which featured two grills. SR2 behaves like a semi-open headphone, therefore I consider and labeled it as such.

Aside from the SR3 being the open-back version of the SR2, it is a 150Ω headphone. Other than that and the cable, everything appears to be just about the same.

I apologize for any confusion caused.
My wife was beside me all day as I was really enjoying a string of Lee Morgan albums. I asked her if she heard any of my music, she was three feet away, and she said not a note. That surprised me as I was jamming pretty hard, but there it is. Closed back/semi-closed. Certainly not as open as my Grado's, Focals or Hifiman's.

Jan 29, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #34 of 281
They do very well with OTL tube amps thanks to that high impendance, currently watching movies with them, paired with the xDuoo TA-26 and some 1940s RCA tubes. These are very clean sounding, with a low noise floor and have a nicely displayed 3D stage that fits my liking but at the same time, everything feels natural and not overdone. You won't find an exceptionally huge stage with lots of air like in the Aryas but you get the clarity those provide without feeling overdone. It's a thumbs up for me.

As far as comfort, they aren't bad at all. Would've liked to see bigger ear pads so that my ears don't touch the insides of the pads but thats a minor issue that I'm used to dealing with on the smaller headphones. I can fit three knuckles of my hand on the SR3 earpad, in comparison, I can fit 4.5 knuckles on the Aryas which is a loooot of extra space for comfort. My only other dislike so far is the stock cable, never got to try the previous one used on the other SR models. The material they used here for the stock cable sounds great and all but it's not the best one to handle due to the thickness of each core, they are flexible enough but less pliable and don't like the odd turn here and there. The storage solution for the stock cable isn't the best either because it the way you have to bend it will eventually force a specific pattern onto it. Got a custom pure silver cable recently so I'll be using that one for all my devices instead of the stock cable.
IMG_20230116_211245.jpg
I have them and they sound incredible. Better than some 1200 plus dollar headphones I have tried. They are amazing!

Jan 30, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #35 of 281
Jan 30, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #36 of 281
If I like the SR3 then I might sell my SR2...

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #38 of 281
Well, once it's listed on Amazon, I'll order one... :gs1000smile:

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #39 of 281
I just noticed now we have an SR3 thread too.
By the way, it’s definitely not open back like the title says. It’s more of a closed back than any other closed back phones I have. It hardly lets out any sound.

However it has a much wider and spacious sound compared to closed backs which does make you believe it’s an open back. Best of both worlds ?

Feb 1, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #40 of 281
Might be worth renaming this thread to include the SR3. I got a review sample in recently and wanted to share some photos and measureements for those interested:

IMG_8482.jpg IMG_8487.jpg IMG_8488.jpg
IMG_8476.jpg IMG_8463.jpg IMG_8459.jpg
Frequency response 1.png
Frequency response 2.png
Don’t take this the wrong way I’m not rushing you but what’s the review status? It’s been a while since you posted this and I don’t see it at TPU, thanks in advance

Feb 1, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #41 of 281
Feb 1, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #42 of 281
Very nice review thank you. Seems like just what the doctor ordered for those missing that Nighthawk/Owl sound signature? Nice to see some proper cables at this midrange point - others could learn a thing or 2 here. Actually quite tempted (liked the Nighthawk) but am a bit wary when it comes to consistency/longevity?

Feb 1, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #43 of 281
I've already submitted the review, it's in the proofreading stage now and will be published after that. Here's a preview link since you are interested: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/ibasso-sr3-open-back-dynamic-driver-headphones/
Wow thank you so much! So you are echoing what others said here and it’s an easy recommendation for many things including general media consumption . This is exactly what I am looking for, an addition to my HD6xx for genres which are requiring bigger soundstage and easy to listen and wear. Also well built so I can frequently take on and off. This way I can retire my HD 599 and use this for general stuff and for music genres that are not that good with the HD6xx like soundtracks. I’m not familiar with the brand but based on the SR2 thread durability shouldn’t be worse than others.

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #44 of 281
My SR3 arrived 2 days ago! Will try to give it a listen today.

So, I've learned some things.

1) SR3 is NOT an open-back version of the SR2
2) SR3 does NOT use a carbon fiber diaphragm like some of the dealers marketed it to do
3) SR3 and SR2 appear to be (on paper) very similar

I was under the impression that the SR3 is the open-back version of the SR2 due to the following photo:
SR3-188.jpg

If you inspect this photo (render) closely, you will see that there is only one grid. If you ever had a chance to hold the SR2, you would know that there are two grids, the outer one (large), and a micro-mesh grid below it. In the photo above, the micro-mesh grid is missing and the driver is visible. Because we confirmed that the SR3 is not the open-back version of the SR2, what should we rename the thread? Share your suggestions. I'm thinking "SR3 — 150Ω version of the SR2".

Contrary to the render picture from iBasso, the SR3 comes with both grids just like the SR2.

Unlike some dealers have said in their marketing, the SR3 does not use a carbon fiber diaphragm. This disinformation was spread for the SR2 as well. For example, it can be seen from Zeppelin & Co., which I don't blame at all! Long story short, it is a Google Translate error, which I confirmed by using it myself. It does in fact translate the bio-cellulose diaphragm driver as "carbon fiber diaphragm driver".

Take a look at the photos below:

DSCN1879.JPG

DSCN1873.JPG

sr3.JPG

11974445.jpg

Top: SR3
Bottom: SR2

Although the frequency response charts do not share the same same y-axis unit scale, we can draw the following conclusion:
SR3 has less sub-bass, in particular it is 2-4dB quieter between 20-90Hz
SR3 has a small 'dip' at ~1.5kHz
SR3 has a major dip between 2kHz and 3kHz
SR3 is sharper at 4kHz-6kHz
SR3 has a bigger dip at 6.5kHz

Attachments

• sr2.JPG
    sr2.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1878.JPG
    DSCN1878.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0