iBasso SR3 — 150Ω version of the SR2
Feb 9, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #76 of 309
some impressions from bloomaudio on the hd660s2 vs sr3 :
https://bloomaudio.com/blogs/articles/hifi-reference-evolution-sennheiser-hd660s2-review

For comparison, the first, most obvious choice is the HD 660S. The other is iBasso’s recent entry into the $500-$1000 headphone market, the SR3. What’s the best use of your budget right now: catch a HD 660S on the cheap? Upgrade to the HD 660S2? Or check out what iBasso brings to the table?

From a build perspective, the HD 660S models are essentially identical, while SR3 has more of a high-end audiophile look, with more of a distinct style, and some more premium feeling materials – though I don’t know if aspects like the hinges will demonstrate the same longevity as Sennheisers. SR3 is also the king of comfort, with a soft, relaxed fit that feels less fatiguing than the HD 600 series tighter grip on your ears.

In terms of sonic performance, it’s a slightly different story. I’m sure there will be mixed reactions from various corners of the audiophile community, but I find HD 660S2 to be a clear hands down improvement over the original HD 660S. The differences are relatively small, and are most noticeable in the bass, but after letting my ears “burn-in” to the HD 660S2, the original sounds a bit thin, as it’s missing the low end support that completes HD 660S2’s sound. The original HD 660S also doesn’t seem to derive any advantage in spaciousness or definition from its slightly brighter sound, making HD 660S2 the clear winner to my ears. HD 660S does have the advantage of being more efficient though, and may still be preferred for users with lowered powered devices.

It’s a different story with iBasso SR3, because there’s a wider spread in the tuning between the two. While HD 660S2 is still very much of a detail and clarity focused, reference headphones, SR3 maintains a neutral sound, but with a much more relaxed signature. SR3’s treble is clearly smoother with less air, while HD 660S2 has a little more bite. SR3 is also somewhat wider than HD 660S2, giving a more spacious sound, but without the Sennheiser’s more tactile holographic feeling imaging.

While a side by side comparison really demonstrates the improvements of HD 660S2 over the original, SR3 is more of a toss-up. For critical listening, or more intense, focused sessions, Sennheiser has an advantage, but if you’re just kicking back and relaxing to listen to some tunes, I’d grab the iBasso.

Feb 9, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #79 of 309
Interested if the paint holds up better than the SR2. The black paint on mine are wearing off and I honestly never take them out of my house.
Mine are flaking on the really thin rails where you adjust the slider. I haven't tightened mine yet and it keeps moving on the left side. And it is scratching the rail like crazy. I got my torx tools in and will adjust before the next use.
The headband is certainly the weak point for these 'phones, but I do love the sound.

Feb 9, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #80 of 309
Mine are flaking on the really thin rails where you adjust the slider. I haven't tightened mine yet and it keeps moving on the left side. And it is scratching the rail like crazy. I got my torx tools in and will adjust before the next use.
The headband is certainly the weak point for these 'phones, but I do love the sound.
I think the build quality and materials are quite good. It's just those thin, short screws that can be a problem. The sliders have been tightened down enough to not slide on their own any more. I found my ideal fit and don't plan on moving them again.

Feb 9, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #81 of 309
I have hardly had to move the sliders on my SR2 since I set them. And I don't plan on moving the stop bars at all.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #82 of 309
I think the build quality and materials are quite good. It's just those thin, short screws that can be a problem. The sliders have been tightened down enough to not slide on their own any more. I found my ideal fit and don't plan on moving them again.
That will be my goal.
It is a flimsy headband and they likely went that route for a few for a few reasons. It certainly keeps them light. And the loose, easy fit is very comfortable, if a bit sloppy. And of course, it reduces costs.
I do like them and am not trying to crap on them. Just how I see it.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #83 of 309
I have hardly had to move the sliders on mine since I set them. And I don't plan on moving the stop bars at all.
I have never adjusted mine as I didn't have the tools. The right side has never moved and I adjust the left side every session. It will be tightened next time.

Feb 9, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #84 of 309
Mine flakes off on the cup holder. I’ve not adjusted the headband since the first day I got these.

Nearly thought about reaching out to Bloom about it, but life’s been busy.

Attachments

• 0C2A0CD9-9D64-410D-AFF6-379B223E62F7.jpeg
    0C2A0CD9-9D64-410D-AFF6-379B223E62F7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 575A4EE2-FB5A-4F8A-BB94-FB89A63F6529.jpeg
    575A4EE2-FB5A-4F8A-BB94-FB89A63F6529.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Feb 9, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #85 of 309
Mine flakes off on the cup holder. I’ve not adjusted the headband since the first day I got these.

Nearly thought about reaching out to Bloom about it, but life’s been busy.
Yikes!
That's kind of like the issue I (and others had) with the yoke on the Aeon 2. It was due to a manf. defect (bad anodizing) and thankfully DCA replaced the parts under warranty

Feb 10, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #87 of 309
Might see what Bloom can do. Hopefully Ibasso is good about this kind of thing.
If they were my cans I'd definitely be making noise about it. That looks far beyond normal wear and tear and I'd have to assume something got messed up during the painting/coating process at the factory

Feb 10, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #89 of 309
They pointed me to the iBasso distributor, so we'll see how things go.
I am very curious how you make out. I have bought several Chinese products directly from China and have had no problems. But I am curious what would happen when you do.
Love to hear their response.

Feb 10, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #90 of 309
I just missed placing an order on Amazon; now unavailable. AARGH!!! Sent an email the importer asking if more will be coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back