Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Apr 8, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #361 of 915
Hi guys, I'm currently using a kiss-modded pair of HD650's. I really dig the HD650's, but I gifted them to my dad a few years ago. I decided to let them go because I found myself using the Audioquest Nighthawk more... I'm only borrowing them back for a few weeks because I wanted to hear them again with my updated gear (Rupert Neve Amp and Bifrost 2 DAC). Spoiler alert, it sounds glorious. So free of any kinds of offensive treble peaks or artificiality.

Anyway, I am on the hunt for a new pair of relaxing headphones with the same sense of refined, inner sense of detail and these have caught my attention.

Zeos from Z Reviews just dropped his review of them and he basically calls them the most relaxing pair of headphones he's ever heard.

Does anyone here have intimate experience of both the HD650 (Stock or modded) and the SR2? I would greatly appreciate a breakdown comparison.

Apr 8, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #362 of 915
I wouldn't exactly call these relaxing. Too dynamic - Denon ah-d7200, Audioquest Nightowl... Those are relaxing. I try not to watch Zeos reviews. His "sound" descriptions usually make no sense, even when he spends more than 90 seconds describing it. I don't find any offensive harsh peaks, or extreme brightness in the presence region. But they aren't super laid back either. An easy listen, but not dark by any means.

Apr 8, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #363 of 915
I wouldn't exactly call these relaxing. Too dynamic - Denon ah-d7200, Audioquest Nightowl... Those are relaxing. I try not to watch Zeos reviews. His "sound" descriptions usually make no sense, even when he spends more than 90 seconds describing it. I don't find any offensive harsh peaks, or extreme brightness in the presence region. But they aren't super laid back either. An easy listen, but not dark by any means.
That is actually a bit reassuring to hear. I don't want another Nighthawk, after all, I already have Nighthawk for when I want to listen to Nighthawk😅.

A balanced frequency response without detail obscuring peaks is what I consider refined and it sounds like these are that based on most impressions I have read.

Interesting to hear about the extra pads that change the sound drastically.

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #364 of 915
That is actually a bit reassuring to hear. I don't want another Nighthawk, after all, I already have Nighthawk for when I want to listen to Nighthawk😅.

A balanced frequency response without detail obscuring peaks is what I consider refined and it sounds like these are that based on most impressions I have read.

Interesting to hear about the extra pads that change the sound drastically.
When you have a chance, perhaps read through the thread. I would recommend looking at the posts from member voja. Also read his review.

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #365 of 915
So I have had the SR2's for 2 days now. It's brilliant. I think the Crinacle measurements are quite accurate however.

The bass is too shy, but the extension is great, so I EQ up by a lot below 100Hz and that takes care of the bass problem fully.
The SR2 is amazingly good with EQ, I think it is due to the special silicone suspension. The bass becomes very dynamic and tactile once you boost the bass.

The mids are elevated and pushed forward, giving a more raw look at voices for example. The good thing is that it's not grating or grainy, I think that is thanks to the Bio-cellulose driver. Treble is a little bit uneven I can sense some ssssibilance but pretty much only if I focus intently on it.

I also found that they do not play well with my desktop stack. I think the SR2 needs an exceptionally clean source with as high Signal-to-noise ratio as possible to sound its best. The SR2 is very efficient after all with a 108dB sensitivity and 24 Ohms of impedance. The slightest input will make the driver move and it better be clean.

Therefore, I am looking to buy the Luxury & Precision W2 high-end DAC/AMP dongle in the future. I believe it will pair extremely well with the SR2. It puts out 235mW into 32 ohms, and the SR2 only needs 50mW according to the spec sheet.

Yeah. These are keepers.

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #367 of 915
So I have had the SR2's for 2 days now. It's brilliant. I think the Crinacle measurements are quite accurate however.

The bass is too shy, but the extension is great, so I EQ up by a lot below 100Hz and that takes care of the bass problem fully.
The SR2 is amazingly good with EQ, I think it is due to the special silicone suspension. The bass becomes very dynamic and tactile once you boost the bass.

The mids are elevated and pushed forward, giving a more raw look at voices for example. The good thing is that it's not grating or grainy, I think that is thanks to the Bio-cellulose driver. Treble is a little bit uneven I can sense some ssssibilance but pretty much only if I focus intently on it.

I also found that they do not play well with my desktop stack. I think the SR2 needs an exceptionally clean source with as high Signal-to-noise ratio as possible to sound its best. The SR2 is very efficient after all with a 108dB sensitivity and 24 Ohms of impedance. The slightest input will make the driver move and it better be clean.

Therefore, I am looking to buy the Luxury & Precision W2 high-end DAC/AMP dongle in the future. I believe it will pair extremely well with the SR2. It puts out 235mW into 32 ohms, and the SR2 only needs 50mW according to the spec sheet.

Yeah. These are keepers.
They need to burn in. The driver needs time to limber up a little. I would bet after that you don't need EQ. I use them on home amps, DX300 etc., and they don't need EQ for good solid bass. IMO

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #368 of 915
They need to burn in. The driver needs time to limber up a little. I would bet after that you don't need EQ. I use them on home amps, DX300 etc., and they don't need EQ for good solid bass. IMO
Out of the box mine have a well extended bass. Reminded me of my Sivga Phoenix with a little less sub bass but I don't have them anymore for a direct comparison.

May 14, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #369 of 915
Hi im interesting to SR2, i have question to SR2 owner, i want to know, how hard to replace eapards on SR2, is this used same mechanisme as SR1? How easy it is to replace it compared to SR1? Maybe if theres any video how to change earpads is works also, also is someone can take a photo on the driver headphone as well (driver looks without earpads attached and how it's look compared to SR1), that will be appreciate, since i couldnot find one, just curious, tks.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #370 of 915
Hi im interesting to SR2, i have question to SR2 owner, i want to know, how hard to replace eapards on SR2, is this used same mechanisme as SR1? How easy it is to replace it compared to SR1? Maybe if theres any video how to change earpads is works also, also is someone can take a photo on the driver headphone as well (driver looks without earpads attached and how it's look compared to SR1), that will be appreciate, since i couldnot find one, just curious, tks.
I know nobody has gotten back to you in time. Hopefully I am not too late to come to the help. I've been extremely busy in the past weeks and that's why I didn't reply earlier. Hope the following two videos help you and others out. It's a basic demonstration, and it's not exactly easy to do on camera with a camera tripod in my face. Once I got off camera, I took the time and put the ear-pads better. It can take around 10-20 minutes to replace the ear-pads.

I have no specific technique when it comes to putting the ear-pads on. You just want to feel them out and see if it works of not. You want to make sure that you align the seam on top with the headphone yoke (try to center it). If you are like me, and you want to make sure the ear-pads are tight, grab something thin and soft — I took a Gilette cardboard (not the razor!!!), but you can take something else. Make sure it is thin and flexible, you don't want something sharp (you can rip or cut the ear-pads). Be gentle, make sure you don't over tighten/overstretch the ear-pads.

I made two videos. I managed to upload one, in which I take the ear-pads off and you can see how the driver looks... well, kinda. It is covered, so you cannot exactly see it. Also, the shiny "things" you see al the way around are what I believe are screw covers.

I should be able to add the second video in around 7 days, in it I show you how I put the ear-pads on and how I tuck them in with the cardboard. Without further ado, here is the video:

As promised, here is the second video (it might look a little sloppy because the tripod and the camera were in the way):

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #371 of 915
I think it is relatively easy but have found they hold up very well. The SR2 are some of the best sounding headphones on the market, IMO, regardless of price.

May 26, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #372 of 915
The SR2 are some of the best sounding headphones on the market
I have to agree with you. And it seems as though they are a IYKYK (if you know, you know). They are our little secret, our gem, our grail.

I like them not just for their sound, everything is pretty much perfect for me. This is THE headphone, my favorite one ever since I got it.

May 27, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #373 of 915
Yes, the crossmember with a Torx on each side. Use a Torx T2 and you can loosen each side and slide it down to where you want to keep the slider.
Can anyone confirm? I'm very happy with the headphones, superb sound and build quality - but they are assembled a bit sloppy.
T2 Torx is correct if i want to adjust the headband screws?

For information: To adjust the earcups (connection to the headbridge) you need a 1.5 allen key.

May 27, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #374 of 915
Can anyone confirm? I'm very happy with the headphones, superb sound and build quality - but they are assembled a bit sloppy.
T2 Torx is correct if i want to adjust the headband screws?

For information: To adjust the earcups (connection to the headbridge) you need a 1.5 allen key.
For the ear cups it is a number 2 Torx. The the other pieces it is a #5 Torx.

Jul 25, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #375 of 915
@paulybatz, @voja, @jamato8, @Mhog55, @cleg, @Dobrescu George. You guys speak so very highly about SR2's. I've read the whole thread and reviews. Current daily is Monolith M560's JDS Adam stack, which I enjoy thoroughly, not sure if I need to upgrade, but you know Headphone Rabbit Hole. Have been looking at Ananda's, Aiva, M1070, all planar. In the collection are Beyer Custom 1+, Senn 598se, Takstar 82 Pro, Sony MDRv6, M&D MW60 ancient AKG140. Would you recommend the SR2 over the Ananda's, Aiva, M1070 and controversial Verum 1 mkII, as a perhaps last upgrade, (as that is what the next purchase is purposed, but we know how that goes, lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back