Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Jul 25, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #391 of 915
I will proceed to release a thorough post on here once I make the A/B comparison (it will take some time).

There are two sets of pads that come with the SR2: the stock ones (smaller perforation), and the larger perforation ones.

The stock ones are the pads that give you true rumble (that you can actually feel vibrate through the pads). They also give you that exclusive vacuum-like seal that completely changes everything. Everything is more intimate, you feel isolated from the world — it's just you and the music. Once you change to the 2nd set of pads (larger perforation), the whole sound signature changes. All of a sudden, you have a much more balanced-sounding headphone. For example, if you found the SR2 to have too much bass quantity with the 1st set of pads, you will definitely much more appreciate the headphones with the 2nd set.

As I always describe myself: If I don't hear it, I won't write about it. I truly put honesty as the priority, I want the reader to be reading my honest words. I know there are a lot of people, especially "reviewers" who completely exaggerate to be closer with the manufacturer. This being said, I heard a very clear and distinct difference when switching between the two sets of pads.

Do expect me to post a thorough post on here. Can't say when I will get to it, but do know that I will certainly put some serious time to express the differences between the two set of stock pads, but also the Dekoni Audio pads.
Just swapped pads. Pretty sure I like the larger hole ones better.

Jul 26, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #392 of 915
The SR2 are in the 500 dollar range but could have easily sold for 3 times that. ...That most likely has been the only thing to hold back the SR2, they are too inexpensive for what you get.
Need to open me eyes as I've now read the list of exceptional headphones you reference in your signature. Your statement and position regarding the SR2 is high praise indeed especially since it's found usefullness in said company. (read Libr4 SR2 comparison to the Ananda in addition to the Moonstar review and comparo)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #393 of 915
@paulybatz, @voja, @jamato8, @Mhog55, @cleg, @Dobrescu George. You guys speak so very highly about SR2's. I've read the whole thread and reviews. Current daily is Monolith M560's JDS Adam stack, which I enjoy thoroughly, not sure if I need to upgrade, but you know Headphone Rabbit Hole. Have been looking at Ananda's, Aiva, M1070, all planar. In the collection are Beyer Custom 1+, Senn 598se, Takstar 82 Pro, Sony MDRv6, M&D MW60 ancient AKG140. Would you recommend the SR2 over the Ananda's, Aiva, M1070 and controversial Verum 1 mkII, as a perhaps last upgrade, (as that is what the next purchase is purposed, but we know how that goes, lol).

I didn't test Verum (and woudn't) as well as M1070. Aiva and Ananda vs SR2 is a matter of preferences, I like SR2 more, but it's taste-based

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #394 of 915
I'm a bit surprised going through reviews. A lot of them state how incredibly laid back these are. While I find them relatively smooth, overly laid back is not a term I would associate these with. I find them quite dyn and engaging myself. Yes, the top end has some butter in the recipe, but there definitely not dark or overly warm. I previously owned the NightOwl. Now that headphone was dark syrup. Not nearly as engaging as the SR2 imo. The SR2 is very non fatiguing, and doesn't have a bright, chirpy, brilliance up top, but I don't consider it dead or lacking in the upper frequencies. That being said, it is a relaxing listen, especially if I put it on after listening to my Quad Era-1 for a bit.

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #395 of 915
I'm a bit surprised going through reviews. A lot of them state how incredibly laid back these are. While I find them relatively smooth, overly laid back is not a term I would associate these with. I find them quite dyn and engaging myself. Yes, the top end has some butter in the recipe, but there definitely not dark or overly warm. I previously owned the NightOwl. Now that headphone was dark syrup. Not nearly as engaging as the SR2 imo. The SR2 is very non fatiguing, and doesn't have a bright, chirpy, brilliance up top, but I don't consider it dead or lacking in the upper frequencies. That being said, it is a relaxing listen, especially if I put it on after listening to my Quad Era-1 for a bit.
LOVE the Quad!

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #396 of 915
I didn't test Verum (and woudn't) as well as M1070. Aiva and Ananda vs SR2 is a matter of preferences, I like SR2 more, but it's taste-based
Understand regarding the controversal Verum, the Aiva has been dropped from the list, some have said the Ananda is boring unlike the SR2, and the M1070 is said to be a direct competitor to LCD2.

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #397 of 915
I thought about the M1070's and decided to go for the M1570's. With one certain amp, they are Incredible. It is like listening to speakers. And I haven't even got my balanced cable yet. Of course they are big, heavy and sloppy.

I tried the M570's and disliked them. Skipped the middle and went high. :L3000:

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #398 of 915
I thought about the M1070's and decided to go for the M1570's. With one certain amp, they are Incredible. It is like listening to speakers. And I haven't even got my balanced cable yet. Of course they are big, heavy and sloppy.

I tried the M570's and disliked them. Skipped the middle and went high. :L3000:
The cabling for the M1070 is dual 2.5mm to single 3.5mm, which may influences my decision process as there are issues with the proprietary M1570 mini XLR needing custom for balanced? It has been said that the sound signature between M1070 and M1570 are very similar, 1570 being smoother with larger sound stage, a refined M1070.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #400 of 915
The cabling for the M1070 is dual 2.5mm to single 3.5mm, which may influences my decision process as there are issues with the proprietary M1570 mini XLR needing custom for balanced? It has been said that the sound signature between M1070 and M1570 are very similar, 1570 being smoother with larger sound stage, a refined M1070.
I am into Hart Audio cables for my collection. I have a Hart cable on the way for my 1570's. Pretty inexpensive.

Aug 1, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #403 of 915
Do you consider the Elex your current endgame headphone? Do the 1570's hold there own in comparison?
Unfortunately just missed out on a great deal on a SR2, buyer was just ahead of me in que, doh!
I currently have 11 sets of headphones (including a 10 year old set of Bose NC 'phones). In my ten usable, my top tier is Grado GH2's and Focal Elex's. A 1A and 1B, depending on the day. Close behind them is my CFA Cascades, which I also love.

Everything else falls into pretty good/really good, but I am looking to move several pairs.

I am very impressed by the M1570's. It is like listening to speakers with my Pro iCAN amp. Also enjoying the Argons, but they are hungry.

With all that said, I am very curious about the SR2's. I am all about the mids, as my Grado love will attest. :L3000:
To me, it's mids, bass and then treble.

Aug 1, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #404 of 915
I currently have 11 sets of headphones (including a 10 year old set of Bose NC 'phones). In my ten usable, my top tier is Grado GH2's and Focal Elex's. A 1A and 1B, depending on the day. Close behind them is my CFA Cascades, which I also love.

Everything else falls into pretty good/really good, but I am looking to move several pairs.

I am very impressed by the M1570's. It is like listening to speakers with my Pro iCAN amp. Also enjoying the Argons, but they are hungry.

With all that said, I am very curious about the SR2's. I am all about the mids, as my Grado love will attest. :L3000:
To me, it's mids, bass and then treble.
A set of headphones that have been compared directly with Grado SR325e, (similar sound sig. to GH2?, GH2 featuring superior materials and cord?), Base Audio G12, now $179, orig. $349, Aluminum & plastic build. Not advocating adding more headphones to the collection just thought you might be interested, (also manufactured in the US).

Aug 1, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #405 of 915
A set of headphones that have been compared directly with Grado SR325e, (similar sound sig. to GH2?, GH2 featuring superior materials and cord?), Base Audio G12, now $179, orig. $349, Aluminum & plastic build. Not advocating adding more headphones to the collection just thought you might be interested, (also manufactured in the US).
That is pretty cheap! I liked the SR325e's as they were my first introduction to Grado. Too bright for me, but it led me to climb the Grado tree. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back