Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Jul 25, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #376 of 915
@paulybatz, @voja, @jamato8, @Mhog55, @cleg, @Dobrescu George. You guys speak so very highly about SR2's. I've read the whole thread and reviews. Current daily is Monolith M560's JDS Adam stack, which I enjoy thoroughly, not sure if I need to upgrade, but you know Headphone Rabbit Hole. Have been looking at Ananda's, Aiva, M1070, all planar. In the collection are Beyer Custom 1+, Senn 598se, Takstar 82 Pro, Sony MDRv6, M&D MW60 ancient AKG140. Would you recommend the SR2 over the Ananda's, Aiva, M1070 and controversial Verum 1 mkII, as a perhaps last upgrade, (as that is what the next purchase is purposed, but we know how that goes, lol).
Right off the bat, I would throw the AIVA's out of the consideration. Now, I have not heard them, but I do have the P-II, and they just are not as enjoyable as the SR2's. The P-II is kind of a warmer, relaxed headphone that can't go as deep as the SR2. SR2 offers the full frequency spectrum, from sub-bass rumble, to the high-frequency sparkle.

Never listened to the Verum 1 MKII (or MKI), nor the Ananda, nor the M1070. However, just speculating, I would keep the Ananda and the SR2 in consideration. I should receive a second set of cables tomorrow, this will allow me to do a direct comparison of the pads on the SR2. I'm not sure how many people know, but I do own two SR2's, which will allow me to do a much more objective A/B test of different pads. Even without the cables, I can tell you that the pads significantly change the sound signature on the SR2. It feels like you get two different headphones. I am not even exaggerating.

To get the most out of planars, you truly do need a powerful source, otherwise you are getting a crappy performance out of them.

As I said in my review, I strongly recommend the SR2. With the recent discovery of how much the pads change the sound, I would say the SR2 definitely deserves to be in consideration as one of the best headphones under 1k. It just offers so much for its price.

That's my two cents.

Jul 25, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #378 of 915
can you describe the differences in pads? I've only used what I think came when delivered, the perforated ones.
I will proceed to release a thorough post on here once I make the A/B comparison (it will take some time).

There are two sets of pads that come with the SR2: the stock ones (smaller perforation), and the larger perforation ones.

The stock ones are the pads that give you true rumble (that you can actually feel vibrate through the pads). They also give you that exclusive vacuum-like seal that completely changes everything. Everything is more intimate, you feel isolated from the world — it's just you and the music. Once you change to the 2nd set of pads (larger perforation), the whole sound signature changes. All of a sudden, you have a much more balanced-sounding headphone. For example, if you found the SR2 to have too much bass quantity with the 1st set of pads, you will definitely much more appreciate the headphones with the 2nd set.

As I always describe myself: If I don't hear it, I won't write about it. I truly put honesty as the priority, I want the reader to be reading my honest words. I know there are a lot of people, especially "reviewers" who completely exaggerate to be closer with the manufacturer. This being said, I heard a very clear and distinct difference when switching between the two sets of pads.

Do expect me to post a thorough post on here. Can't say when I will get to it, but do know that I will certainly put some serious time to express the differences between the two set of stock pads, but also the Dekoni Audio pads.

Jul 25, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #379 of 915
I will proceed to release a thorough post on here once I make the A/B comparison (it will take some time).

There are two sets of pads that come with the SR2: the stock ones (smaller perforation), and the larger perforation ones.

The stock ones are the pads that give you true rumble (that you can actually feel vibrate through the pads). They also give you that exclusive vacuum-like seal that completely changes everything. Everything is more intimate, you feel isolated from the world — it's just you and the music. Once you change to the 2nd set of pads (larger perforation), the whole sound signature changes. All of a sudden, you have a much more balanced-sounding headphone. For example, if you found the SR2 to have too much bass quantity with the 1st set of pads, you will definitely much more appreciate the headphones with the 2nd set.

As I always describe myself: If I don't hear it, I won't write about it. I truly put honesty as the priority, I want the reader to be reading my honest words. I know there are a lot of people, especially "reviewers" who completely exaggerate to be closer with the manufacturer. This being said, I heard a very clear and distinct difference when switching between the two sets of pads.

Do expect me to post a thorough post on here. Can't say when I will get to it, but do know that I will certainly put some serious time to express the differences between the two set of stock pads, but also the Dekoni Audio pads.
Thanks for that. Helps a lot!

Jul 25, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #380 of 915
Right off the bat, I would throw the AIVA's out of the consideration. Now, I have not heard them, but I do have the P-II, and they just are not as enjoyable as the SR2's. The P-II is kind of a warmer, relaxed headphone that can't go as deep as the SR2. SR2 offers the full frequency spectrum, from sub-bass rumble, to the high-frequency sparkle.

Never listened to the Verum 1 MKII (or MKI), nor the Ananda, nor the M1070. However, just speculating, I would keep the Ananda and the SR2 in consideration. I should receive a second set of cables tomorrow, this will allow me to do a direct comparison of the pads on the SR2. I'm not sure how many people know, but I do own two SR2's, which will allow me to do a much more objective A/B test of different pads. Even without the cables, I can tell you that the pads significantly change the sound signature on the SR2. It feels like you get two different headphones. I am not even exaggerating.

To get the most out of planars, you truly do need a powerful source, otherwise you are getting a crappy performance out of them.

As I said in my review, I strongly recommend the SR2. With the recent discovery of how much the pads change the sound, I would say the SR2 definitely deserves to be in consideration as one of the best headphones under 1k. It just offers so much for its price.

That's my two cents.
Thanks for the lightning response. Understood, Aiva dropped from list. I hope an SR2 owner who has compared them to Ananda's, M1070 and Verum 1 mkII will chime in.
I've enjoyed the M560 (42Ω)with JDS Adam stack high gain at 1 o'clock for the most part, when I want loud 3 o'clock. It outputs:
  • Max Continuous Power @ 600Ω 136mW (9.05VRMS)
  • Max Continuous Power @ 150Ω 545 mW (9.04VRMS)
  • Max Continuous Power @ 32Ω 1 Watt (5.66 VRMS)

Not enough power?

Jul 25, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #381 of 915
@paulybatz, @voja, @jamato8, @Mhog55, @cleg, @Dobrescu George. You guys speak so very highly about SR2's. I've read the whole thread and reviews. Current daily is Monolith M560's JDS Adam stack, which I enjoy thoroughly, not sure if I need to upgrade, but you know Headphone Rabbit Hole. Have been looking at Ananda's, Aiva, M1070, all planar. In the collection are Beyer Custom 1+, Senn 598se, Takstar 82 Pro, Sony MDRv6, M&D MW60 ancient AKG140. Would you recommend the SR2 over the Ananda's, Aiva, M1070 and controversial Verum 1 mkII, as a perhaps last upgrade, (as that is what the next purchase is purposed, but we know how that goes, lol).
I would

Jul 25, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #382 of 915
Will upgrade then... I've read you prefer the sound signature et. al., enjoy and are still lovin' the SR2 over many other or all cans, including more expensive ones? is the experience just more enjoyable?
As I understand the SR2 has fantastic build, multi signature due to pads, great stock cable, detailed, offers good sound stage and imaging, energized without being sibilant, scalable yet easy to drive, expertly skilled in all headphone attributes but master of none, like the the best utility player ever?
Which begs the question what's there not to like? All of the reviews list no cons at this price point, taking that into account do I stretch for the Ananda's, (also touted as a fantastic all rounder and endgame can for some), then regret not purchasing the SR2 for less?

Jul 25, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #383 of 915
Will upgrade then... I've read you prefer the sound signature et. al., enjoy and are still lovin' the SR2 over many other or all cans, including more expensive ones? is the experience just more enjoyable?
As I understand the SR2 has fantastic build, multi signature due to pads, great stock cable, detailed, offers good sound stage and imaging, energized without being sibilant, scalable yet easy to drive, expertly skilled in all headphone attributes but master of none, like the the best utility player ever?
Which begs the question what's there not to like? All of the reviews list no cons at this price point, taking that into account do I stretch for the Ananda's, (also touted as a fantastic all rounder and endgame can for some), then regret not purchasing the SR2 for less?
HiFiMan being HiFiMan, their most popular products will be around forever. Even though it was not a limited release, I still perceive SR2 as a headphone that will not be available forever. Owning it makes me feel like I'm a part of a small community that knows about it. I think it is a must-own, and that your perspective on other (perhaps more expensive) headphones will change.

Make sure to carefully make up your mind. If you are thinking about selling the SR2, you must know it will be harder to sell an SR2 than a Ananda. But as you said, it would feel as though you are missing out on the SR2 if you go straight to the Anandas.

Jul 25, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #384 of 915
HiFiMan being HiFiMan, their most popular products will be around forever. Even though it was not a limited release, I still perceive SR2 as a headphone that will not be available forever. Owning it makes me feel like I'm a part of a small community that knows about it. I think it is a must-own, and that your perspective on other (perhaps more expensive) headphones will change.

Make sure to carefully make up your mind. If you are thinking about selling the SR2, you must know it will be harder to sell an SR2 than a Ananda. But as you said, it would feel as though you are missing out on the SR2 if you go straight to the Anandas.
I am not so sure that future saleable quality of the SR2 won't be good. I remember when they had a very hard time getting rid of the R10 Sony. Saw it on sale and it wasn't till later, that it was finally recognized for what it was. The SR2, well, I have some very fine headphones here and they may be different but are not better than the SR2 and the musical qualities the SR2 possesses are exceptional, especially at the price.

Jul 25, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #385 of 915

I do understand what you're saying and will consider carefully. Currently I prefer to add only one more can, (although as we all know, that is subject to change in the future). Does the SR2 offer everything sonically wise that the Ananda does so well, albeit differently I imagine because no two cans sound the same, (exceptions aside). That really is my dilemma. The M1070 don't quite reach, nor do the Verum 1 mkII, both are half the Ananda's price though. Resale is not a consideration.

@jamato8 "I have some very fine headphones here and they may be different but are not better than the SR2 and the musical qualities the SR2 possesses are exceptional" This might just do it for me. What headphones are you referring to, if I may ask?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #386 of 915
I am not so sure that future saleable quality of the SR2 won't be good. I remember when they had a very hard time getting rid of the R10 Sony. Saw it on sale and it wasn't till later, that it was finally recognized for what it was. The SR2, well, I have some very fine headphones here and they may be different but are not better than the SR2 and the musical qualities the SR2 possesses are exceptional, especially at the price.
Can agree with you!

However, what I meant is that if he wants to get rid of the SR2 fast, it won't be as easy as getting rid of the Anandas.

So far, I am planning on keeping both of my SR2s... which should tell you something about this headphone. "Exceptional" is its second name.

While others are sleeping on these, we are sure as hell enjoying them. I know for a fact I will enjoy and praise them until others "wake up". Tbh, I kinda like how these aren't all that popular, makes them even more special.

@DemolitionMan join the SR2 gang? Your wallet will also appreciate it, and am sure your ears won't regret it (fingers crossed).

Jul 25, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #389 of 915
It seems like just about everybody that buys the Ananda ends up selling it within several months to try the big boy, The Arya.

I am curious about these headphones, but the Focal Elex's are on sale for $599.00 (if you're in North America). I love my Elex's and they are one of the top units in my collection.

I am currently trying to scale down my collection, but would like to add these, as money permits.

From like $350.00 to $700.00, we are spoiled for choice on very nice headphones. A Great time to be into headphones!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #390 of 915
It seems like just about everybody that buys the Ananda ends up selling it within several months to try the big boy, The Arya.

I am curious about these headphones, but the Focal Elex's are on sale for $599.00 (if you're in North America). I love my Elex's and they one of the top units in my collection.

I am currently trying to scale down my collection, but would like to add these, as money permits.

From like $350.00 to $700.00, we are spoiled for choice on very nice headphones. A Great time to be into headphones!
The SR2 are in the 500 dollar range but could have easily sold for 3 times that. Sadly, many (I am not referring to you) think price is what to base sound on. That most likely has been the only thing to hold back the SR2, they are too inexpensive for what you get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back