Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Aug 18, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #601 of 915
So if you buy these new now do you get them with the revised earpads with bigger holes? Looking at Audiophonics (I'm in Europe) I see they sell separately pads type A - I'm guessing these are the OG pads with smaller holes?

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/acce...r-earpads-for-sr2-headphone-pair-p-15879.html

(site is very slow for me atm so maybe check later if it does not load)

Also, what about QC issues - some have mentioned the finish starting flaking off?

Aug 18, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #602 of 915
The SR2 comes with two pairs of pads (larger or smaller holes).

Aug 18, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #603 of 915
How'd you compare the SR2 to the Elex? Having just sold the Elex, I found it very technically accomplished and quite dynamic, but the somewhat cold, steely timbre it exhibited with strings and female vocals ultimately made me sell it, despite liking the headphone quite a bit. I am considering the SR2 now, together with the Avantone Planar as that one also seems well received
My take is going to be different as I love my Elex's and am constantly debating on getting some Clears. I Love the Focal sound.

To me, the SR2's have strong bass and prominent mids which I find awesome. I find the treble a little light/recessed which does take away from the detail. And I find that the detail on the Elex is more precise and cleaner.

My preference are:
1) Clean, prominent mids
2) Strong bass when called upon
3) Enough treble to give the music lots of detail. Especially with female vocals and horns.

I would pick the Elex over the SR2, but I can see people going the other way. But to me, the SR2's do not have the clarity to match my favourites (Elex's, HiFiman HE6se V2's or Grado GH2's).

Of course we all hear differently and there are many people here that feel differently than I do.:smile:

Aug 18, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #604 of 915
I have the Clear sitting on one side of my desk and the SR2 on the other. Both are great for what they are: open or closed cans. (I never felt the Elex was something to chose over the Clear.)

Aug 18, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #605 of 915
My take is going to be different as I love my Elex's and am constantly debating on getting some Clears. I Love the Focal sound.

To me, the SR2's have strong bass and prominent mids which I find awesome. I find the treble a little light/recessed which does take away from the detail. And I find that the detail on the Elex is more precise and cleaner.

My preference are:
1) Clean, prominent mids
3) Enough treble to give the music lots of detail. Especially with female vocals and horns.

I would pick the Elex over the SR2, but I can see people going the other way. But to me, the SR2's do not have the clarity to match my favourites (Elex's, HiFiman HE6se V2's or Grado GH2's).

Of course we all hear differently and there are many people here that feel differently than I do.:smile:
I love the Focal sound too. I really enjoyed the Clear and Utopia. But the Elex is tuned somewhat differently I'd say. Yes, the trademark Focal slam and details are still there, it is very much a Focal, but I preferred the tuning of the other two

Aug 18, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #606 of 915
I have the Clear sitting on one side of my desk and the SR2 on the other. Both are great for what they are: open or closed cans. (I never felt the Elex was something to chose over the Clear.)
In that regard, the SR2 sounds more like a closed headphone then? Also, since you have them both, would it be okay to ask how much you like them with regards to female vocals specifically?

Aug 18, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #607 of 915
If you want more detail with the SR2 all you need is just a little more fenestration on the pads but too much and they get too lean, there is a balance to keeping the slight warmth and fullness to the sound having the highs.

Aug 18, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #608 of 915

My preference are:
1) Clean, prominent mids

Yup! Thanks for sharing. I used to really like the Hifiman house sound but have clearly drifted away over the years :)
Appreciate the comments. The Elex are definitely excellent headphones, with the subjective caveats I mentioned. But I certainly did enjoy them

Aug 18, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #609 of 915
I love the Focal sound too. I really enjoyed the Clear and Utopia. But the Elex is tuned somewhat differently I'd say. Yes, the trademark Focal slam and details are still there, it is very much a Focal, but I preferred the tuning of the other two
I bought the Elex as it was the cheapest. In Canada, the Elex's cost me $1,000.00, landed (Canuck bucks). The Clears would been $2,000.00. The Utopia's run closer to $5,000.00.

I started at Elex and love them. I likely will move up to the Clear and that will be the top for me.
I just can't bring myself to drop $4K to $5K on one set of headphones. I would rather get three to four different headphones (read sound signatures) for the same money.

I am hooked on variety!

Aug 18, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #610 of 915
I bought the Elex as it was the cheapest. In Canada, the Elex's cost me $1,000.00, landed (Canuck bucks). The Clears would been $2,000.00. The Utopia's run closer to $5,000.00.

I started at Elex and love them. I likely will move up to the Clear and that will be the top for me.
I just can't bring myself to drop $4K to $5K on one set of headphones. I would rather get three to four different headphones (read sound signatures) for the same money.

I am hooked on variety!
I agree that the Uber expensive headphones are not worth it. Granted, the best headphone I ever heard was the Sennheiser HE1 but the price tag is ridiculous for most mere mortals

Aug 18, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #612 of 915
I agree that the Uber expensive headphones are not worth it. Granted, the best headphone I ever heard was the Sennheiser HE1 but the price tag is ridiculous for most mere mortals
To me the Utopia are worth it. They have the openness, resolution, layering and quality bass that works very well and not hard to drive. They are enough different from other headphones, that I have, that they are a great compliment/contrast, to the others. The SR2 are a little warmer and with some music I prefer them to the Utopia and it goes back and forth. The ES R10 are a nice addition to this mix as well.

Aug 18, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #613 of 915
The SR2 has plenty of resolution imo, it's just not as clean or prominent as the Elex or MG, which to my ears came across a little stark and cold. No metallic sounding upper mids and lower treble, which could sound a bit artificially enhanced with the SR2. Coming from Focal, the upper frequencies of the SR2 will sound reserved. Details don't pop off as much, but that can be a good thing when your ears don't want to be force fed. Details are still there plenty , just presented a little softer, but the imaging is alive and well. The SR2 is just a smoother ride.
As for the NightOwl comparison, it's been many years since I owned it. The SR2 has deeper, cleaner bass. The mids are more energetic and organic, and the upper frequencies are smoother, but more polished. Better detailing, resolution, and imaging all together.

Aug 18, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #614 of 915
The SR2 has plenty of resolution imo, it's just not as clean or prominent as the Elex or MG, which to my ears came across a little stark and cold. No metallic sounding upper mids and lower treble, which could sound a bit artificially enhanced with the SR2. Coming from Focal, the upper frequencies of the SR2 will sound reserved. Details don't pop off as much, but that can be a good thing when your ears don't want to be force fed. Details are still there plenty , just presented a little softer, but the imaging is alive and well. The SR2 is just a smoother ride.
As for the NightOwl comparison, it's been many years since I owned it. The SR2 has deeper, cleaner bass. The mids are more energetic and organic, and the upper frequencies are smoother, but more polished. Better detailing, resolution, and imaging all together.
I meant the Focals artificial enhanced with the Focals, not the SR2. Just woke up.

Aug 18, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #615 of 915
In that regard, the SR2 sounds more like a closed headphone then? Also, since you have them both, would it be okay to ask how much you like them with regards to female vocals specifically?
Female vocals are great on both (all vocals, actually). I consider the SR2 to be closed. It's not "closed-in" like pure closed designs, but it is definitely nowhere as open as the Clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back