Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Jul 24, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #572 of 915
What is everyone using for cable? For me, the stock cable is fine but I most always use Whiplash cable (can't get it any longer), and the clarity, staging and bass impact and definition are all increased.

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #573 of 915
I love that these phones sound so amazing direct out of my computer and iPhone. I can’t imagine there being a more versatile competitor on the market…I’m so glad to have these for so long. I am now taking them everywhere I go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 26, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #574 of 915
What is everyone using for cable? For me, the stock cable is fine but I most always use Whiplash cable (can't get it any longer), and the clarity, staging and bass impact and definition are all increased.
I had Ted Allen make me a silver extra long cable for my home listening. It does make a difference…I don’t have the words to explain it but it’s even broader / tighter / ….maximizes everything.

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #575 of 915
I love that these phones sound so amazing direct out of my computer and iPhone. I can’t imagine there being a more versatile competitor on the market…I’m so glad to have these for so long. I am now taking them everywhere I go.
I just put mine away last night after two weeks of every day use.
They are exactly as advertised in that they are bass and mid monsters.

I am not a treble guy at all but I do realize that you need some to have a complete sound.
I tried them yesterday with Miles Davis and Kind of Blue. With horns is where I really notice a shortage of treble. It was not enjoyable. I switched to the Elex's, played it again and just smiled.

The next time I pull them out I will test for an hour or two and see if my memories hold true.
Then I Really want to do a head to head with the Cascades. They have a lot in common, I think.

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #576 of 915

I am not a treble guy at all but I do realize that you need some to have a complete sound.
I tried them yesterday with Miles Davis and Kind of Blue. With horns is where I really notice a shortage of treble. It was not enjoyable. I switched to the Elex's, played it again and just smiled.

The next time I pull them out I will test for an hour or two and see if my memories hold true.
Then I Really want to do a head to head with the Cascades. They have a lot in common, I think.
…kind of blue listening to Kind Of Blue on Ibasso…😒🤣

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #578 of 915
I assume that the pairing of LD-MK9 and Ibasso ‘kicks bass’ to an overwhelming degree…(much to @JazzVinyl ’s delight?)…

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #579 of 915
Jul 26, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #580 of 915

Is it possible that you are just accustomed to a little more energy and lift in the upper mids and lower treble, being that's how some of your headphones are tuned - such as the Elex and HP-2? Or perhaps it's your preferred tuning?
I admit that the SR2 is a perhaps a little mellow/gentle in these areas, but I don't find it too soft or reserved at all. In fact, it's just right for my subjective tastes. It's not splashy, exaggerated, or bright to my ears either, but it's closer to neutral than the Elex or HP-2. I also find it rather spatial while remaining involved. I suppose it could be considered mildly mello, but tastefully so, and it doesn't have any metallic zing to it, which I heard in even the Clear MG at times with it's full magnesium drivers.
I have several 24/192 vinyl rips, and these files sound superb imo. I find the SR2 plenty resolving, without throwing any extreme, artificial details from the upper frequencies being cranked up. I find the bass to be more layered, taught, and detailed than any other dynamic I've heard, and the mids are simply fantastic. Instrument separation is really good. I here elements in songs I haven't heard before, and they all stand alone, occupying their own space - no issues with congestion or issues hearing each instrument. For me, the level of soundstage is perfect, not sounding too distanced, while retaining a high level of impact, energy, weight, and dynamics. The tuning is about as close to perfection for my tastes as I think I'm likely going to discover. And to top it all off, it's affordable.
I know you don't like to EQ, but these respond to it very well. If you increase the areas where you find it lacking, I think you will be pleasantly surprised and happy you did. I EQ all of my cans, as nothing is perfect out of the box. Or at least not tuned close enough to what I consider dialed in.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #581 of 915
, it's just right for my subjective tastes. It's not splashy, exaggerated, or bright to my ears either, but it's closer to neutral than the Elex or HP-2. I also find it rather spatial while remaining involved. I suppose it could be considered mildly mello, but tastefully so, and it doesn't have any metallic zing to it, which I heard in even the Clear MG at times with it's full magnesium drivers.
I have several 24/192 vinyl rips, and these files sound superb imo. I find the SR2 plenty resolving, without throwing any extreme, artificial details from the upper frequencies being cranked up. I find the bass to be more layered, taught, and detailed than any other dynamic I've heard, and the mids are simply fantastic. Instrument separation is really good. I here elements in songs I haven't heard before, and they all stand alone, occupying their own space - no issues with congestion or issues hearing each instrument. For me, the level of soundstage is perfect, not sounding too distanced, while retaining a high level of impact, energy, weight, and dynamics. The tuning is about as close to perfection for my tastes
You said exactly the way I perceive these phones and with the silver cabling I bought from Ted Allen, typically silver will brighten the sound and I don’t feel that way at all either kind of like your perception of the phones in general… It just makes the sound even better

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #582 of 915
You said exactly the way I perceive these phones and with the silver cabling I bought from Ted Allen, typically silver will brighten the sound and I don’t feel that way at all either kind of like your perception of the phones in general… It just makes the sound even better
For real. These are the only headphones I appreciate using a pure silver cable with. For all others I own, I use pure copper.

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #583 of 915
Is it possible that you are just accustomed to a little more energy and lift in the upper mids and lower treble, being that's how some of your headphones are tuned - such as the Elex and HP-2? Or perhaps it's your preferred tuning?
I admit that the SR2 is a perhaps a little mellow/gentle in these areas, but I don't find it too soft or reserved at all. In fact, it's just right for my subjective tastes. It's not splashy, exaggerated, or bright to my ears either, but it's closer to neutral than the Elex or HP-2. I also find it rather spatial while remaining involved. I suppose it could be considered mildly mello, but tastefully so, and it doesn't have any metallic zing to it, which I heard in even the Clear MG at times with it's full magnesium drivers.
I have several 24/192 vinyl rips, and these files sound superb imo. I find the SR2 plenty resolving, without throwing any extreme, artificial details from the upper frequencies being cranked up. I find the bass to be more layered, taught, and detailed than any other dynamic I've heard, and the mids are simply fantastic. Instrument separation is really good. I here elements in songs I haven't heard before, and they all stand alone, occupying their own space - no issues with congestion or issues hearing each instrument. For me, the level of soundstage is perfect, not sounding too distanced, while retaining a high level of impact, energy, weight, and dynamics. The tuning is about as close to perfection for my tastes as I think I'm likely going to discover. And to top it all off, it's affordable.
I know you don't like to EQ, but these respond to it very well. If you increase the areas where you find it lacking, I think you will be pleasantly surprised and happy you did. I EQ all of my cans, as nothing is perfect out of the box. Or at least not tuned close enough to what I consider dialed in.
I am sure you are correct. We all hear differently and we all have our own preferences. My top three, by a good margin, are the Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's and HiFiman HE6se V2's. So I definitely like my mids and some high end along with some bass. The Elex's are the closest I have to perfect, for my preferences.

I am sure that is why I have Such a tough time finding a closed back that I can love.

I think the SR2's sound great with clean, clear music. I do find them a little fussier with music than most of my 'phones. Kind of like the T60 Argon's and HiFiman HE-R9's, in my experience.

You are correct about my aversion to EQ'ing. I am actually thinking about selling my Schiit Loki as I never use it any more. If it is too bright, I sell it. If it needs a bit of bass, I have my tube amp and bass boost on my iFi.

To be clear, I do like the SR2's, but I am listening to them in super analytic mode, as I do with any new 'phones.
I think they are too mid-forward for me to let go of. :relaxed:

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #584 of 915
Has anyone heard sundaras or ananda as i woud like to buy sr2 but dont know how it all look after these. Overal i am ibasso fan but their daps and iems, newer heard any their headphones. In some reviews i heard sr2 is better in some areas as bass extension and musicality, but is it truth. Who knows.
For you guys here sr2 seems really special at their price so i believe it could be good adition to hifiman house planar house. Somehow i feel i will like them knowing ibasso and what they do with daps and other stuff.

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #585 of 915
Has anyone heard sundaras or ananda as i woud like to buy sr2 but dont know how it all look after these. Overal i am ibasso fan but their daps and iems, newer heard any their headphones. In some reviews i heard sr2 is better in some areas as bass extension and musicality, but is it truth. Who knows.
For you guys here sr2 seems really special at their price so i believe it could be good adition to hifiman house planar house. Somehow i feel i will like them knowing ibasso and what they do with daps and other stuff.
I cannot see you being unhappy…I had the LCD2 which are planar…sold them promptly after getting these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back