Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Jul 12, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #541 of 915
Let us know how they compare with the Elex :)
That will be interesting. I thought tube mode was a little too noisy, so I went to SS, but ended up back in tube mode.
I found Two Feet kind of sloppy and noisy. Then I put on Florence and the Machine. Wow was the immediate reaction.
I should also mention these sound really wide. Also they isolate Very well. I was jammin' hard and my wife couldn't hear anything from 5 feet away.
Fun times!

Jul 13, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #544 of 915
Got my SR2's today. I plugged them into my iFi Pro iCAN right away. I went tube at first and then changed to SS. Low gain and no sound effects. The volume is at about 9:30 and plenty loud for me. I am enjoying the sound with no sound mods. Of course I will tinker with them later, but for tonight and likely tomorrow, I just want them "naked". So far, good bass and nice vocals.

20220712_171653.jpg
20220712_171940.jpg
20220712_172140.jpg
20220712_173635_HDR~2.jpg
Yummmmm

Jul 13, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #545 of 915
Got my SR2's today. I plugged them into my iFi Pro iCAN right away. I went tube at first and then changed to SS. Low gain and no sound effects. The volume is at about 9:30 and plenty loud for me. I am enjoying the sound with no sound mods. Of course I will tinker with them later, but for tonight and likely tomorrow, I just want them "naked". So far, good bass and nice vocals.

20220712_171653.jpg
20220712_171940.jpg
20220712_172140.jpg
20220712_173635_HDR~2.jpg
Let me know if you plan to EQ a bit. I have a simple 10 band that to my ears really dialed these in.

Jul 13, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #546 of 915
Let me know if you plan to EQ a bit. I have a simple 10 band that to my ears really dialed these in.
The only EQ I use is my Schiit Loki and to be honest I rarely use that. My only dialing in I do now is rolling tubes on my LD MK9 and adding bass boost and 3D sound effects on my iFi.

Jul 13, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #547 of 915
Sitting down and enjoying the new 'phones. Going through the collection alphabetically, backwards. Really enjoying ZZ Ward. Two old albums, Til the Casket Drops and The Storm. Wow on the bass! I had put one tick of bass boost on my iFi, but had to pull that right back. This combo is as fun and bassy as Two Feet and the HE-R9's.
Weirdly, I did not enjoy Two Feet on these right out of the box last night.
But this is awesome. I forgot how much I liked most of Til the Casket Drops. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #548 of 915
Another update. Well I have been using the SR2's every day from Tuesday to Sunday. Today was all jazz, all day:
1) Charles Mingus - Ah Um
2) Donald Byrd - Byrd's Word
3) Clarence Clemons - Peacemaker
4) Hank Mobley - Peckin' Time
5) Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
6) Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame and Red Clay
7) Horace Silver - Songs for my Father.
Lots of classics!

The SR2's have tons of bass and great mids.
They are definitely lacking in treble, IMO. I love horn jazz and sometimes they can get a little screechy or piercing, depending on the headphone. That never happened with these. On the other hand, they didn't quite hit some of the high notes that I am used to.

So far, bass and mids are great. Treble is somewhat lacking. I am somewhat unsure about clarity and separation. They didn't seem great at first, but then I had some brain burn-in after a few days and they seemed better. I am now Very curious to compare them against my favourites (Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's and HiFiman HE6se V2's). That will happen closer to next weekend. I am also curious how they would stack up against the CFA Cascades.

I can't see adding any bass boost at this time, but I am curious if the 3D sound effect will make any difference at all. Will also toss them on my Violectric V220 and Little Dot MK9 this week. Just about tweaking this week and then start comparing headphones next weekend.
So far, they seem like a nice set, but time will tell how nice.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #549 of 915
Another update. Well I have been using the SR2's every day from Tuesday to Sunday. Today was all jazz, all day:
Lots of classics!

They are definitely lacking in treble, IMO. I love horn jazz and sometimes they can get a little screechy or piercing, depending on the headphone. That never happened with these. On the other hand, they didn't quite hit some of the high notes that I am used to.

So far, bass and mids are great. Treble is somewhat lacking. I am somewhat unsure about clarity and separation. They didn't seem great at first, but then I had some brain burn-in after a few days and they seemed better. I am now Very curious to compare them against my favourites (Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's and HiFiman HE6se V2's). That will happen closer to next weekend. I am also curious how they would stack up against the CFA Cascades.

I can't see adding any bass boost at this time, but I am curious if the 3D sound effect will make any difference at all. Will also toss them on my Violectric V220 and Little Dot MK9 this week. Just about tweaking this week and then start comparing headphones next weekend.
So far, they seem like a nice set, but time will tell how nice.
What cable are you using?

Jul 17, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #550 of 915
Another update. Well I have been using the SR's every day from Tuesday to Sunday. Today was all jazz, all day. To give an idea of what I like:
Lots of classics!

They are definitely lacking in the treble, IMO. I love hirn jazz and sometimes they can get a little screechy or piercing. That never happened with these. On the other hand, they didn't quite hit some of the high notes that I am used to.

I can't see adding any bass boost at this time, but I am curious if the 3D sound effect might make. Will also toss them on my Violectric V220 and Little Dot MK9 this week. Just about tweaking this week and then start comparing headphones next weekend.
So far, they seem like a nice
set, but time will tell how nice.
Good to hear that you are spending more time with them!

Your comments about the SR2's treble are about on-point with my 'after break-in" pair of SR2's. However, in the stock tuning, the treble was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. That's why I am trying to stay away from using the brand-new SR2 as much as possible. If anything, it will allow me to explore different amps and find out whether I am able to find one that makes it sound as close as possible to the out of the box tuning.

Jul 17, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #551 of 915
Jul 17, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #552 of 915

Your comments about the SR2's treble are about on-point with my 'after break-in" pair of SR2's. However, in the stock tuning, the treble was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. That's why I am trying to stay away from using the brand-new SR2 as much as possible. If anything, it will allow me to explore different amps and find out whether I am able to find one that makes it sound as close as possible to the out of the box tuning.
They are going to get used every day for the next week to ten days. Then they will be set aside for a few weeks so that I can return and see if my initial thoughts were still valid.

The next six to eight weeks are going to be all about analysis as I plan to move many items starting in September.

Jul 17, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #553 of 915

Earpads with a that have a few more holes in them, more fenestrated, will bring more highs.

Jul 17, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #554 of 915
Earpads with a that have a few more holes in them, more fenestrated, will bring more highs.
It's not about the ear-pads, but rather the drivers. Since I have two pairs of the SR2 I could easily tell the difference in sound between the two pads (one used, one basically brand-new). They have the same ear-pads, same cable, were driver off the same source.

That's why I am just interested in an amp that will bring out that same 'stock' sound.

Jul 17, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #555 of 915
It's not about the ear-pads, but rather the drivers. Since I have two pairs of the SR2 I could easily tell the difference in sound between the two pads (one used, one basically brand-new). They have the same ear-pads, same cable, were driver off the same source.

That's why I am just interested in an amp that will bring out that same 'stock' sound.
What do the fenestrated pads do for the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back