Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Mar 10, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #511 of 915
I don't quite understand your statement.

I do have some very fine speakers but with good headphones, you can get some excellent sound reproduction. Unlike speakers, it is easy to change the sound reproducers. Maybe I am not understand at all what you are saying. On poorly recorded music, I normally do not listen to it, even though it may be some of my favorite songs. I can't stand boxed in poorly recorded music. It is sad that some excellent songs were done with junk mics and badly trained sound engineers.
To put it simple, I'm asking, what is better on SR2 that they take precedence over Utopia.

Mar 10, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #512 of 915
To put it simple, I'm asking, what is better on SR2 that they take precedence over Utopia.
The Utopia throw a larger soundstage. I have read that they are narrow but I have no idea what the source is as they are very spacious with good upstream sources. The SR2 are a little warmer, more full sounding. They both reveal details in a palpable manner to me, on well recorded music, are realistic, both of them. The Utopia for hundreds of hours had a slightly metallic edge, which I didn't care for but I liked other attributes of them and after hundreds and hundreds of hours, that has finally all but disappeared but it takes so long. I don't like intimate in you face sound. Both the Utopia and the SR2 provide distance and openness, which I enjoy. I use the stock pads on the Utopia and the medium perforated pads for the SR2 (there are two version, one with a lot of air that can breath through the pads and one that is much less so and the prior one is too open and the sound loses bass with them. The timbre on both is very good as is the speed and with the right source, they are very fast, like my electrostatic setup.

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #513 of 915
The Utopia throw a larger soundstage. I have read that they are narrow but I have no idea what the source is as they are very spacious with good upstream sources. The SR2 are a little warmer, more full sounding. They both reveal details in a palpable manner to me, on well recorded music, are realistic, both of them. The Utopia for hundreds of hours had a slightly metallic edge, which I didn't care for but I liked other attributes of them and after hundreds and hundreds of hours, that has finally all but disappeared but it takes so long. I don't like intimate in you face sound. Both the Utopia and the SR2 provide distance and openness, which I enjoy. I use the stock pads on the Utopia and the medium perforated pads for the SR2 (there are two version, one with a lot of air that can breath through the pads and one that is much less so and the prior one is too open and the sound loses bass with them. The timbre on both is very good as is the speed and with the right source, they are very fast, like my electrostatic setup.
I was considering the Radiance as my next, and hopefully last closed back. This causes some hesitation. Don't want to hear that metallic sheen. I'm also worried I won't find a closed back I enjoy as much as the SR2. I'm not willing to spend more than a grand tops. And that's a lot considering the price of the SR2.

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #515 of 915
I use the stock pads on the Utopia and the medium perforated pads for the SR2 (there are two version, one with a lot of air that can breath through the pads and one that is much less so and the prior one is too open and the sound loses bass with them. The timbre on both is very good as is the speed and with the right source, they are very fast, like my electrostatic setup.
I'm confused. Have there been THREE versions of the pads for the SR2? Mine (very new) came with two versions (the smaller holes on the pads installed, and the larger holes on the "other" pair). When you refer to "medium perforated pads," what do you mean?

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #516 of 915
I'm confused. Have there been THREE versions of the pads for the SR2? Mine (very new) came with two versions (the smaller holes on the pads installed, and the larger holes on the "other" pair). When you refer to "medium perforated pads," what do you mean?
The smaller holes. They also used to have pads with no perforations.

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #517 of 915
OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #518 of 915
The smaller holes. They also used to have pads with no perforations.
First time I'm hearing about this. When was this?

I've been following everything about the SR2 from the beginning, never heard about the unperforated pads 👀

@jamato8 are you in the secret VIP iBasso club :wink:?

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #519 of 915
First time I'm hearing about this. When was this?

I've been following everything about the SR2 from the beginning, never heard about the unperforated pads 👀

@jamato8 are you in the secret VIP iBasso club :wink:?
They had them on the SR1.

Mar 10, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #520 of 915
Interesting... The iBasso website lists perforated pads for the SR1. Only pads they show. https://ibasso.com/product/pt1/

I emailed iBasso about getting spare pads for the SR2 and got a quick response. They're $25 a pair (specify which type you want) plus shipping (regular airmail or express).

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #521 of 915
Interesting... The iBasso website lists perforated pads for the SR1. Only pads they show. https://ibasso.com/product/pt1/

I emailed iBasso about getting spare pads for the SR2 and got a quick response. They're $25 a pair (specify which type you want) plus shipping (regular airmail or express).

So 25$ plus shipping for non-perforated pads?
Would u tell us wich the mail to contact them?

May 11, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #522 of 915
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back