Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Feb 13, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #481 of 915
I know I promised a thorough post about the pad comparison, and it's been around 7 months since then. Now that I finally had some free time to actually do this properly, I did it.

After doing the pad comparison and amp module comparison (this one is yet to be published), I would strongly argue that the iBasso SR2 is the best headphone out there under 500 bucks (likely above, but let's just take into consideration its MSRP).

Here's the write-up (now added to my iBasso SR2 review — I highly recommend you give it a read if you haven't already. I promise you will not regret it):

The Approach

This whole A/B test was made possible with the help of iBasso, who supplied me two identical pairs of the SR2. By this I mean that I have two SR2 headphones with the exact same cables. If it weren’t for these two pairs, I wouldn’t have been able to write a valid A/B comparison due to the great amount of time it takes to swap out the ear-pads. This way I had two pairs of headphones that only had different pads, allowing me to just take one off my head, put the other one on and plug it in.

I personally believe that it’s crucial to have two identical pairs of anything in order to write a valid A/B test… especially when audio is in question. This eliminates the most subjective factor which is audio memory — the time it takes to swap out the pads just presents a major flaw due to the fact that anything said or written based on such an A/B test would be based on the very subjective audio memory. While the test I carried out was also based on my audio memory, it significantly cut down the time needed to be able to swap between the two variants. It took me only a couple of seconds to swap between the two variants, while it would’ve taken a couple minutes (if not more than 10 minutes) to perform a pad swap.

Setup:

iBasso DX300 MAX
Android OS
Ultimate Mode On
Filter D3
Low Gain

SR2 with the balanced 4.4mm iBasso CB17 cable

Stock ear-pads — small perforation vs larger perforation

The difference between these two variations is beyond significant. In terms of sheer loudness difference, I would say that the larger perforation ear-pads are 25%-30%. Besides loudness, the larger perforation ear-pads lose that vacuum-like seal that the stock pads offer. This affects the SR2 in a couple of ways. The first being the isolation, and the second being the airiness. In other words, the larger perforation pads sound more open-back, while the stock pads give more of a closed-back experience.

In terms of sound performance, once again, it comes as no surprise that the two ear-pads significantly differ and affect it. In short: the smaller perforation pads offer a much more intense presentation with softer highs and much deeper lows, while the larger perforation pads offer an open-back-like experience where the highs are more pronounced, the upper mids are sharper, and the lows are more tamed.

Let’s talk about vocals for a second. On the larger perforation ones, they are sharper and more airy, but that might not be what everybody is looking for. From just A/B testing between these two pads, I personally preferred the smaller perforation ones because they have more pleasant-sounding vocals.

As expected, both have their pros and cons. The smaller perforation ear-pads provide the physical sensation of rumble, which is something that the larger perforation pads don’t offer, and this rumble sensation mostly comes from that vacuum-like seal that the larger perforation pads don’t have. The larger perforation pads have more details in the upper range, resulting in crisper and clearer treble tones. The biggest advantage that the larger perforation pads have over the smaller perforation ones is the extra space in the soundstage and overall presentation. Elements have more room to breathe, and thus have better definition and clarity. The smaller perforation pads offer a more intense, cinematic-like experience, and that’s something that not everyone is looking for. Also, that extra oomph and rumble in the lower end on the smaller perforation pads provides a less clear, muddier sound (in comparison to the larger perforation ones), and I think that this alone might be the reason why someone migrates to the larger perforation pads.

As a whole, my preference is the stock pads (smaller perforation) because of the more intense sound presentation, and I’m also a sucker for that vacuum-like seal and physical sensation of rumble. It brings more excitement to the SR2.

I would say that anyone looking for a more balanced and neutral sound signature should go for the larger perforation pads.

Stock small perforation ear-pads vs Dekoni Audio Elite Hybrid Fostex TH / Denon AH ear-pads

The Dekoni Audio pads offer a completely different feel from the stock pads. In terms of its physical characteristics, they are noticeably smaller than the stock pads. This goes for both the inner and outer diameter of the pads, but also for the the thickness and surface area. Though it didn’t appear to be a major difference when measured and A/B compared the pads, on the ears it’s quite significant. The Dekoni pads feel more cozy, which is nothing new for velour.

At first I thought the sound would be louder on the Dekoni pads, but it turned out it’s completely the opposite. The stock pads are considerably louder than the Dekoni pads, which I’m thinking has a lot to do with the materials and the inner diameter of the pads. In terms of the sound, it kind of falls between the stock small perforation and the larger perforation pads. The small perforation pads have a bigger sound in general, and they still have a deeper and more present low end. Even though the Dekoni pads have less presence, they are still capable of that physical sensation of rumble that the stock pads have. Something which I was very surprised by is the loudness. The mids sound better and more refined on the Dekoni pads. Also, I found the timbre and overall tonality to be better on the Dekoni pads. The highs remain at a somewhat same level, no major differences there. If anything, the Dekoni pads are a tad brighter. Now, the most significant difference is the soundstage and imaging. This is where the thinner nature of the Dekoni plays a major role, because this is what’s causing the smaller soundstage and overall even more of a closed-back experience.

I would say that the Dekoni pads might be the most refined out of the three, but am still not 100% sure on that. They are all different, that’s for sure, and this is something that allows you to play around with the pads and find what suits you the most.

I am personally having a hard time choosing between the Dekoni pads and the stock small perforation pads.

The stock pads give you a true grand experience and presentation, very intimate, growling lows, good mids, good highs. The Dekoni pads give you a more tame low end, mids with better tonality and timbre, and good highs.

Conclusion​

To think that a headphone priced below $1k comes with two sets of pads that alter the sound performance this much is unbelievable. It’s beyond fascinating and rare. To even have the option to choose between three sets of ear-pads is a true luxury that only a few headphones have. This being said, I think that anyone with a SR2 has a lot of ways to fine tune its sound performance and is extremely lucky to be an owner of such a headphone. What’s more, if you own iBasso’s DX300, you pretty much have an end game setup. Why do I say this? Taking into consideration of all the amp modules and amp module mods available for the DX300, you can consider the combination of SR2 and DX300 a platform. A true platform which allows for precise fine tuning. This, this is what I consider an end game, because you have options. I think people are really missing out on the SR2, and I think it’s mainly due to its fairly low price. If iBasso were to price it at around $2k, I think it would get the praise it deserves.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #482 of 915
I know I promised a thorough post about the pad comparison, and it's been around 7 months since then. Now that I finally had some free time to actually do this properly, I did it.

After doing the pad comparison and amp module comparison (this one is yet to be published), I would strongly argue that the iBasso SR2 is the best headphone out there under 500 bucks (likely above, but let's just take into consideration its MSRP).

Here's the write-up (now added to my iBasso SR2 review — I highly recommend you give it a read if you haven't already. I promise you will not regret it):

The Approach

This whole A/B test was made possible with the help of iBasso, who supplied me two identical pairs of the SR2. By this I mean that I have two SR2 headphones with the exact same cables. If it weren’t for these two pairs, I wouldn’t have been able to write a valid A/B comparison due to the great amount of time it takes to swap out the ear-pads. This way I had two pairs of headphones that only had different pads, allowing me to just take one off my head, put the other one on and plug it in.

I personally believe that it’s crucial to have two identical pairs of anything in order to write a valid A/B test… especially when audio is in question. This eliminates the most subjective factor which is audio memory — the time it takes to swap out the pads just presents a major flaw due to the fact that anything said or written based on such an A/B test would be based on the very subjective audio memory. While the test I carried out was also based on my audio memory, it significantly cut down the time needed to be able to swap between the two variants. It took me only a couple of seconds to swap between the two variants, while it would’ve taken a couple minutes (if not more than 10 minutes) to perform a pad swap.

Setup:

iBasso DX300 MAX
Android OS
Ultimate Mode On
Filter D3
Low Gain

SR2 with the balanced 4.4mm iBasso CB17 cable

Stock ear-pads — small perforation vs larger perforation

The difference between these two variations is beyond significant. In terms of sheer loudness difference, I would say that the larger perforation ear-pads are 25%-30%. Besides loudness, the larger perforation ear-pads lose that vacuum-like seal that the stock pads offer. This affects the SR2 in a couple of ways. The first being the isolation, and the second being the airiness. In other words, the larger perforation pads sound more open-back, while the stock pads give more of a closed-back experience.

In terms of sound performance, once again, it comes as no surprise that the two ear-pads significantly differ and affect it. In short: the smaller perforation pads offer a much more intense presentation with softer highs and much deeper lows, while the larger perforation pads offer an open-back-like experience where the highs are more pronounced, the upper mids are sharper, and the lows are more tamed.

Let’s talk about vocals for a second. On the larger perforation ones, they are sharper and more airy, but that might not be what everybody is looking for. From just A/B testing between these two pads, I personally preferred the smaller perforation ones because they have more pleasant-sounding vocals.

As expected, both have their pros and cons. The smaller perforation ear-pads provide the physical sensation of rumble, which is something that the larger perforation pads don’t offer, and this rumble sensation mostly comes from that vacuum-like seal that the larger perforation pads don’t have. The larger perforation pads have more details in the upper range, resulting in crisper and clearer treble tones. The biggest advantage that the larger perforation pads have over the smaller perforation ones is the extra space in the soundstage and overall presentation. Elements have more room to breathe, and thus have better definition and clarity. The smaller perforation pads offer a more intense, cinematic-like experience, and that’s something that not everyone is looking for. Also, that extra oomph and rumble in the lower end on the smaller perforation pads provides a less clear, muddier sound (in comparison to the larger perforation ones), and I think that this alone might be the reason why someone migrates to the larger perforation pads.

As a whole, my preference is the stock pads (smaller perforation) because of the more intense sound presentation, and I’m also a sucker for that vacuum-like seal and physical sensation of rumble. It brings more excitement to the SR2.

I would say that anyone looking for a more balanced and neutral sound signature should go for the larger perforation pads.

Stock small perforation ear-pads vs Dekoni Audio Fostex TH / Denon AH ear-pads

The Dekoni Audio pads offer a completely different feel from the stock pads. In terms of its physical characteristics, they are noticeably smaller than the stock pads. This goes for both the inner and outer diameter of the pads, but also for the the thickness and surface area. Though it didn’t appear to be a major difference when measured and A/B compared the pads, on the ears it’s quite significant. The Dekoni pads feel more cozy, which is nothing new for velour.

At first I thought the sound would be louder on the Dekoni pads, but it turned out it’s completely the opposite. The stock pads are considerably louder than the Dekoni pads, which I’m thinking has a lot to do with the materials and the inner diameter of the pads. In terms of the sound, it kind of falls between the stock small perforation and the larger perforation pads. The small perforation pads have a bigger sound in general, and they still have a deeper and more present low end. Even though the Dekoni pads have less presence, they are still capable of that physical sensation of rumble that the stock pads have. Something which I was very surprised by is the loudness. The mids sound better and more refined on the Dekoni pads. Also, I found the timbre and overall tonality to be better on the Dekoni pads. The highs remain at a somewhat same level, no major differences there. If anything, the Dekoni pads are a tad brighter. Now, the most significant difference is the soundstage and imaging. This is where the thinner nature of the Dekoni plays a major role, because this is what’s causing the smaller soundstage and overall even more of a closed-back experience.

I would say that the Dekoni pads might be the most refined out of the three, but am still not 100% sure on that. They are all different, that’s for sure, and this is something that allows you to play around with the pads and find what suits you the most.

I am personally having a hard time choosing between the Dekoni pads and the stock small perforation pads.

The stock pads give you a true grand experience and presentation, very intimate, growling lows, good mids, good highs. The Dekoni pads give you a more tame low end, mids with better tonality and timbre, and good highs.

Conclusion​

To think that a headphone priced below $1k comes with two sets of pads that alter the sound performance this much is unbelievable. It’s beyond fascinating and rare. To even have the option to choose between three sets of ear-pads is a true luxury that only a few headphones have. This being said, I think that anyone with a SR2 has a lot of ways to fine tune its sound performance and is extremely lucky to be an owner of such a headphone. What’s more, if you own iBasso’s DX300, you pretty much have an end game setup. Why do I say this? Taking into consideration of all the amp modules and amp module mods available for the DX300, you can consider the combination of SR2 and DX300 a platform. A true platform which allows for precise fine tuning. This, this is what I consider an end game, because you have options. I think people are really missing out on the SR2, and I think it’s mainly due to its fairly low price. If iBasso were to price it at around $2k, I think it would get the praise it deserves.
I think that iBasso destroyed the price barrier to high end sound but sadly, some also think they have to pay 2 to 3 thousand or more. Nice review. I like the larger holed pads on the SR2 and I put a pair of the smaller holed pads on my TH900 Fostex, which totally transformed them into a great sound headphone. Different from the SR2 and the SR2 is more open but it did elevate the Fostex from not being listened to much, to much more enjoyable and realistic. SR2s are the real deal!

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #483 of 915
Both of you nail what I still feel one hundred percent…which is why I invested in the silver cables, which to my surprised made them even better…sold everything except one set of much more expensive phones…and only keeping those because I have an appreciation for them as not only being amazing but they are very much in a similar vein to the Ibasso SR2…they also priced theirs well below their true value

Feb 13, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #484 of 915
I think that iBasso destroyed the price barrier to high end sound but sadly, some also think they have to pay 2 to 3 thousand or more. Nice review. I like the larger holed pads on the SR2 and I put a pair of the smaller holed pads on my TH900 Fostex, which totally transformed them into a great sound headphone. Different from the SR2 and the SR2 is more open but it did elevate the Fostex from not being listened to much, to much more enjoyable and realistic. SR2s are the real deal!
I fully agree.

SR2s are the real deal — the best way to put it.

I think that very, very few pairs of headphones on the market are built like the SR2. If you just open it up you can see that this is the real deal — it's a result of professional equipment that only a few posses. It's on Sennheiser/Sony level, if not beyond (this is only related to the complexity of the headphones, not to the sound).

Most headphones on the market are built fairly simply and don't look like they've got too much going on on the inside, but SR2 is not one of those. You open it up and you just know that you must have the very best experts out there to put together such a fine product. You can tell that this was crafted in a lab.

SR2 is still a majorly underrated headphone, and I don't mind it. It just reassures me that iBasso is IYKYK. Should iBasso aim for its craftsmanship to be recognized, it should do a big marketing campaign. However, from what I see, iBasso isn't too interested in wasting their money there, at least not for their headphones.

@jamato8 you are probably one of the only people who has the luxury of owning TOTL luxury headphones and also owning the SR2 — which you said is up there with those big boys. Your contribution is not to be overlooked, because you are a customer — iBasso doesn't pay you to speak as such, but your opinion might and has been misinterpreted in the past. I personally know where you stand, and if anyone sees us—people who know why iBasso is #1 and why iBasso products eat the competition—as people who are creating a fake hype train, it's their loss. We are the few right now, and as always, it's easy to pick on a smaller group of people.

I never had an opportunity to listen to the Sundaras, but I see more and more people saying that it's nothing special. And if you remember well, this is the headphone that everyone was wildin about, and thus everyone joined the noise. I have no doubts that it would be the same with the SR2, but with the SR2 at least you know that the performance is truly up there.

To put SR2's value in perspective, it's 630% (7.2x) its MSRP. This is if we compare it to the Focal Utopia.

We can talk and talk forever, but even if it was 100% its value (2x), it would still be insane.

I think that if you told anyone that a $500 headphone is up there with >$3k headphones, you'd get punched in the face. Most likely they would disapprove of such a headphone existing, and would do everything in their power to humiliate it. While SR2 is a sensitive headphone, it is extremely source sensitive — which only makes me wonder how much better it can perform with a true TOTL amp/dac setup.

Whenever I share my love for this headphone elsewhere, I get "weird looks". I think people might mistake my praise of this headphone as an ad, because I mention it so often it appears as though I think that everything else sucks but this headphone... which is not true. I just value its sound performance and want others to have the opportunity to experience it.

Here I go again with my SR2 rants.....

Feb 13, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #485 of 915
I fully agree.

I think that very, very few pairs of headphones on the market are built like the SR2. If you just open it up you can see that this is the real deal — it's a result of professional equipment that only a few posses. It's on Sennheiser/Sony level, if not beyond (this is only related to the complexity of the headphones, not to the sound).

Most headphones on the market are built fairly simply and don't look like they've got too much going on on the inside, but SR2 is not one of those. You open it up and you just know that you must have the very best experts out there to put together such a fine product. You can tell that this was crafted in a lab.

SR2 is still a majorly underrated headphone, and I don't mind it. It just reassures me that iBasso is IYKYK. Should iBasso aim for its craftsmanship to be recognized, it should do a big marketing campaign. However, from what I see, iBasso isn't too interested in wasting their money there, at least not for their headphones.

@jamato8 you are probably one of the only people who has the luxury of owning TOTL luxury headphones and also owning the SR2 — which you said is up there with those big boys. Your contribution is not to be overlooked, because you are a customer — iBasso doesn't pay you to speak as such, but your opinion might and has been misinterpreted in the past. I personally know where you stand, and if anyone sees us—people who know why iBasso is #1 and why iBasso products eat the competition—as people who are creating a fake hype train, it's their loss. We are the few right now, and as always, it's easy to pick on a smaller group of people.

I never had an opportunity to listen to the Sundaras, but I see more and more people saying that it's nothing special. And if you remember well, this is the headphone that everyone was wildin about, and thus everyone joined the noise. I have no doubts that it would be the same with the SR2, but with the SR2 at least you know that the performance is truly up there.

To put SR2's value in perspective, it's 630% (7.2x) its MSRP. This is if we compare it to the Focal Utopia.

We can talk and talk forever, but even if it was 100% its value (2x), it would still be insane.

I think that if you told anyone that a $500 headphone is up there with >$3k headphones, you'd get punched in the face. Most likely they would disapprove of such a headphone existing, and would do everything in their power to humiliate it. While SR2 is a sensitive headphone, it is extremely source sensitive — which only makes me wonder how much better it can perform with a true TOTL amp/dac setup.

Whenever I share my love for this headphone elsewhere, I get "weird looks". I think people might mistake my praise of this headphone as an ad, because I mention it so often it appears as though I think that everything else sucks but this headphone... which is not true. I just value its sound performance and want others to have the opportunity to experience it.

Yes…and I’ll say again and top that you “can”
Power these with your iPhone.

Feb 14, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #486 of 915

Things must be pretty rough in Serbia if they punch you in the face for comparing headphones. I think the law of diminishing returns is in full effect once you get past the $500 mark so that isn't completely unreasonable. I was strongly considering the iBasso SR2 but when the Edition XS started getting all the praise I bought it instead. I haven't heard anything else from Hifiman but the Edition XS is excellent. I'm still semi-considering getting an SR2 (there is an open box pair on eBay right now). The problem is if I like it I would have to sell off my Focal Elegia and if I didn't like it I would have to turn around and resell the SR2 immediately, which is a pain. I highly doubt it would be considerably better than either of my headphones if at all in terms of capability, probably more of a sound signature preference.

Feb 14, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #487 of 915
Things must be pretty rough in Serbia if they punch you in the face for comparing headphones.
I think it was pretty obvious that I didn't mean it literally.... 🤔

Either way, whatever it was that you meant by the comment, things here are pretty rough. Salaries are low, living costs are high, so if you are open about spending large sums on money on "unnecessary" things, you'll be judged and get weird looks. I think this goes for many countries where the majority of population lives in poverty and doesn't have good living conditions.

Enjoy what makes you happy. If you found your peace with the Elegia and Edition XS, you have no need to take risks. You know the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Feb 14, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #488 of 915
I think it was pretty obvious that I didn't mean it literally.... 🤔

Either way, whatever it was that you meant by the comment, things here are pretty rough. Salaries are low, living costs are high, so if you are open about spending large sums on money on "unnecessary" things, you'll be judged and get weird looks. I think this goes for many countries where the majority of population lives in poverty and doesn't have good living conditions.

Enjoy what makes you happy. If you found your peace with the Elegia and Edition XS, you have no need to take risks. You know the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I was just joking, not trying to make a political statement. I agree that paying $3,000 for a headphone is insane no matter how much money you have. As for the second part it's the fear of missing out. Everyone wants to get the best they can get for their budget and it's hard to know what that is without trying it for yourself. For all I know I could get the SR2 and be blown away by it.

Feb 14, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #489 of 915
I was just joking, not trying to make a political statement. I agree that paying $3,000 for a headphone is insane no matter how much money you have. As for the second part it's the fear of missing out. Everyone wants to get the best they can get for their budget and it's hard to know what that is without trying it for yourself. For all I know I could get the SR2 and be blown away by it.
It's hard to make out when someone is joking, especially if non-obvious sarcasm is in question.

In terms of money and cost of headphones, it should give you a better idea of how seriously I approach my reviews. When I write something, I am truly thinking whether or not this product is worth someone's hard earned money. Even if I'm reviewing something expensive, I don't overlook small flaws and things that should not be overlooked at that price point. Different standards are present at different price points, but value is something I take very, very seriously!

I would not be able to sleep at night if I did what the majority of these reviewers are doing – posting positive reviews in their interest. Honestly and truth are the only things in my interest, anything else is dirty and I don't want anything to do with it.

I think $3000, $5000, hell $50,000 is okay for headphones as long as it's what fulfills you. However, the headphone MUST have a very good excuse and a set of features that make it worth that sort of money. Luxury costs, and there a lot of different hobbies out there. If you are willing to pay whatever obsurd amount of money to be fulfilled and happy, that's on you. Every adult has the freedom of choosing how they want to spend their money.

But as a reviewer it's your job to critically judge something without bias/interest. If bias or interest is involved, it's not a review, it's an ad.

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #490 of 915
For anyone interested I am selling a mint SR2 to EU buyers (in the classifieds). Bought them after reading twice through the whole thread and a lot of positive reviews online. I have to agree it is very well built, comfortable, musical, enjoyable and diverse pair of cans. I chose to keep my current daily cans EMU Teak as the SR2 are not so much different from the Teak and I was looking for a complementary set. However the SR2 are also very special and I can easily see how some will like them better than the Teak and prefer the SR2 to be their preferred daily can.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #491 of 915
I fully agree.

Let me express sort of alternative opinion. My experience with buying headphones based on glorifying rants (@paulybatz) is rather sad. I spotted SR2 last year for a good price, so I purchased them with the idea it could be something warmer with more bass to complement my Hifiman Ananda. Unfortunately, SR2 in my view, are not one level below, but several levels under. So I sold them after few weeks. Especially, they disappointed me in bass region. Not enough and also not good! I realized I like well articulated, structured planar bass, not this boomy, wooly bass clouds. Furthermore, mids and treble were not better than Ananda. The only aspects, where SR2 is better, is comfort and build quality.

BTW, quite the same story with Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition - also purchased and already sold. These have really nice strong bass, but details are not there. Even after EQ in 8 kHZ region, they don't sound good to my ears. Unfortunately, local market is not so strong, so lots of head-fi sponsors are not represented in brick and mortar stores (ZMF, DCA to mention some). It's hard to make right purchasing decisions without auditioning.

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #492 of 915
Let me express sort of alternative opinion. My experience with buying headphones based on glorifying rants (@paulybatz) is rather sad. I spotted SR2 last year for a good price, so I purchased them with the idea it could be something warmer with more bass to complement my Hifiman Ananda. Unfortunately, SR2 in my view, are not one level below, but several levels under. So I sold them after few weeks. Especially, they disappointed me in bass region. Not enough and also not good! I realized I like well articulated, structured planar bass, not this boomy, wooly bass clouds. Furthermore, mids and treble were not better than Ananda. The only aspects, where SR2 is better, is comfort and build quality.

BTW, quite the same story with Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition - also purchased and already sold. These have really nice strong bass, but details are not there. Even after EQ in 8 kHZ region, they don't sound good to my ears. Unfortunately, local market is not so strong, so lots of head-fi sponsors are not represented in brick and mortar stores (ZMF, DCA to mention some). It's hard to make right purchasing decisions without auditioning.
Interesting. I would have liked to have heard your SR2. This is not what I hear at all. I trade off with the Utopia, which some like and some do not. The Pioneer Master 1, which suck until you get good cable for them and then they come to life but the bass is not as good as the Utopia or the SR2. Then there are many others I have that I enjoy but running across the preference I have, which is good transparency (which equates to bass control and definition, spatial creation of the venue and good frequency extremes), comfort and build quality. The SR2 are there but I also use the upgraded cable and use the Whiplash gold/silver cable a lot in 8 braid (sadly no longer available as they are out of business. The wire was made in Europe in a extremely high end wire manufacturer). So there are variables and I like the SR2 with the pads that have the larger holes, not too large, but enough for them to breath and then, for me, they really come into focus.

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #493 of 915

With all respect, I fully disagree with you on this one.

I personally never really cared with Pauly's "rants", as though I could see that he is just a very satisfied and enthusiastic customer.

I wrote my whole review based on my personal opinion, expertise, and knowledge. I judged the headphones' qualities critically, and in no way shape or form would I ever call the bass "boomy, wooly bass clouds". Oh, and believe me, I am someone who hates bass that isn't responsive and tight (speed of attack and decay). I also consider myself as someone who deeply cares about the sound quality, and when I review things I judge them very carefully. I'm not one of those dudes that sits down and writes a review in a day not giving a crap what he wrote... and I'm pretty sure that anyone who has been following my work for long enough knows that.

I never saw the SR2 as a warm headphone, and if warmth is what you are after, you should've never pulled the trigger on the SR2. Sorry to put it like that, but I really don't see how anyone could call these warm. I guess it depends what you are driving them with — but even saying this makes me skeptical because I don't think you could drive these so badly to the point where the bass is bad.

I don't know whether you had a faulty unit or just had a bad source, but the SR2 you are describing has nothing to do with the SR2 that I own.

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #494 of 915

What amp are you using…and you know what they say…there’s a headphone for every ear…some people LOVE Grado…some people LOVE ZMF…my posts are my opinion…May you find peace and your path to audio nirvana be as joyous as mine

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #495 of 915
With all respect, I fully disagree with you on this one.

I personally never really cared with Pauly's "rants", as though I could see that he is just a very satisfied and enthusiastic customer.

I wrote my whole review based on my personal opinion, expertise, and knowledge. I judged the headphones' qualities critically, and in no way shape or form would I ever call the bass "boomy, wooly bass clouds". Oh, and believe me, I am someone who hates bass that isn't responsive and tight (speed of attack and decay). I also consider myself as someone who deeply cares about the sound quality, and when I review things I judge them very carefully. I'm not one of those dudes that sits down and writes a review in a day not giving a crap what he wrote... and I'm pretty sure that anyone who has been following my work for long enough knows that.

I never saw the SR2 as a warm headphone, and if warmth is what you are after, you should've never pulled the trigger on the SR2. Sorry to put it like that, but I really don't see how anyone could call these warm. I guess it depends what you are driving them with — but even saying this makes me skeptical because I don't think you could drive these so badly to the point where the bass is bad.

I don't know whether you had a faulty unit or just had a bad source, but the SR2 you are describing has nothing to do with the SR2 that I own.
I question the amp / source as well…I have them now balanced through my RME ADI pro 2 …which puts out a lot of juice…and they will go as far as I want without clipping or distortion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back