Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Jan 15, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #466 of 915
So...late to the party. There has been some controversy about crinacles measurements on SR2. Thing about SR2's (also with SR1 but slightly less) is that iBasso is extremely sensitive about positioning. Both on how they're positioned on ones head, measurement device and how the earpads are angled on the headphones. Here is my measurement with earpads that have larger perforations. Measured with minidsp ears, HEQ and 1/12 smoothing.
1642246724649.png

Red and green are very different but position on the measurement rig was only slightly different. So I think Crinacles measurements are correct but show only one possible outcome. I've measured about 100 headphones and SR2 is only headphone that has such big frequency response changes with minor headphone/earpad position adjustments. Black line is average of the two and to my ears sounds most close to what I'm hearing...most of the times anyway. That peak in 4,5khz is real but did not bother me. I know for a fact that my hearing is not sensitive in 4-6khz region so someone else might find the low treble offensive. Crinacles measurements place that between 5-6khz which is propably more accurate considering he has a professional level measurement system.

Let's take a look of the other earpads that are very similar to PT1 pads but perforations on original PT1 are slighly more closed in. I think those are infact PT1 pads but pleather material has changed just a little during production. Or it could be just a matter of other pads being more worn out.
1642247104711.png

Same results as previously. Wild changes in frequency response with just small changes in position of the headphones. Black is again average and closest to what I'm hearing.

So how about compared to SR1 with PT1 pads?
1642247180013.png

When properly positioned and factoring in all the potential changes and measurement errors they're basically the same. In listening tests SR2 has slightly stronger bass but falls little behind in detail retrival compared to SR1. I think that is because SR2 is more closed than SR1. Internal acoustics are the same but SR2 has some foam behind the grille that SR1 does not have. SR1 cups are also basically open to all sides and making it more open than SR2. I think SR2 builds more pressure inside the cups which makes its bass more impactfull but also blurries the microdynamic abilities. Other than that SR1=SR2.

Overall I think SR2 is excellent headphone. Best bass and imaging I've heard in headphones of this price range. Insane macrodynamics too that can challenge Focal Elex. For me PT1 pads offer a nice smooth tuning, not that different from some ZMF headphones. Tonality with the larger perforation pads its bit weird. Midrange has some edgy hardness to it that shows clearly as a hump in the measurements. It's not bad though and sounds better than it measures imo. I wish there were third pads that had tonality between the two options. One issues is lacking treble extension past 13khz. Of course there is not much going on up there but it affects sense of air and is audible. That thing shows up in measurements with all the pads and with SR1 too. It's also present in other measurements so it's not just my rig acting up.

Pros:
- Build quality & Comfort. Cable is awesome
- Excellent textured bass with slam
- Macrodynamics that are close to Focal Elex level
- Well proportioned soundstage and class leading imaging
- 2-in-1: Earpads change the sound so much that it really is two headphones with the price of one.

On the Fence:
- Tuning with both pads is controversial. I would have preferred something in between the two.
- Soundstage is not big for open(ish) headphone

Cons:
- Mediocre resolution. Especially with live-albums SR2 leaves too much detail on the table.
- Headband adjuster keeps sliding up. Luckily it's easy to fix.
- Extremely sensitive on how the earpads and headphones are positioned on ones head.

1642248318864.png

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #468 of 915
In this hobby everything is indeed subjective :) I think what I perceive is an issue with background not being "black" enough. Think of it as sort of a noisefloor for the headphones. Propably just some noise residue that wont dissipate properly and it then drowns fainter sounds. Since it's allmost closed headphone there will be some acoustic amplification of noises going on. It's like there is slight haze in the soundstage that ties everything together. Sounds don't really pop out from the void of dark, since there is always that haze present. That droop of frequencies past 13hz is propably also a factor to some degree. It's not a major issue and mostly bugs me with well recorded live music that has high dynamic range. I'm also perhaps particularly picky about stuff like that. My curse is to be over overanalytical listener. If I wasn't so nitpicky over that sort of stuff and tuning would suit my personal preferences better SR2 would be hands down best €500 headphone I've heard.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #469 of 915
In this hobby everything is indeed subjective :) I think what I perceive is an issue with background not being "black" enough. Think of it as sort of a noisefloor for the headphones. Propably just some noise residue that wont dissipate properly and it then drowns fainter sounds. Since it's allmost closed headphone there will be some acoustic amplification of noises going on. It's like there is slight haze in the soundstage that ties everything together. Sounds don't really pop out from the void of dark, since there is always that haze present. That droop of frequencies past 13hz is propably also a factor to some degree. It's not a major issue and mostly bugs me with well recorded live music that has high dynamic range. I'm also perhaps particularly picky about stuff like that. My curse is to be over overanalytical listener. If I wasn't so nitpicky over that sort of stuff and tuning would suit my personal preferences better SR2 would be hands down best €500 headphone I've heard.
I think “black” isn’t possible with an open back…I’m an analytic listener too..which is why I felt these bested several in the stable making their ownership purposeless.
Great review btw…

Jan 15, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #470 of 915
Very good information and detailed hard work. The one thing I don't agree with is the detail of the SR2. The headphones can easily provide it and it isn't the drivers but if lacking, it is the ear pads. I have ear pads that have no perforations, then the ones provided with tiny perforations and I have some that I modified with larger perforations and these surpass my Focal Utopia in detail. I also use a Whiplash cable, the gold plated silver. I can use the same cable on the Focal or the SR2 as I have Ys coming off all my phones of Whiplash cable, as needed, with MMCX, 3.5, connector for the Focal etc. So not the driver or housing or semi closed, I would say mostly the pads, which are very easily to modify.

Jan 15, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #472 of 915
I think “black” isn’t possible with an open back…I’m an analytic listener too..which is why I felt these bested several in the stable making their ownership purposeless.
Great review btw…
Both open back and closed types have their advantages I suppose. Being seperated of outside noises helps alot. On the other hand closed cups introduce reverbs. Some dissipate the noise better others worse. You know what I mean but those who don't it's like hearing the "sea" when you hold a seashell to your ear. Put a speaker in a seashell and thinks get messy :) And thanks! I actually wrote a lengthier review but is in finnish: https://kuulokenurkka.com/arvostelu-ibasso-sr2/
The headphones can easily provide it and it isn't the drivers but if lacking, it is the ear pads.
Thanks. I hope it helped some people because there has been so much controversy about these headphones and impressions seem to be all over the place. It's not even a 2-in-1 headphone but more like 50-in-1 depending on conditions :beyersmile:

What you say about modded pads also make sense. These are indeed insanely sensitive to pad changes. Headphones clamp with different strenght depending on headsize which causes the VERY soft foam deform in different way. That of course changes how much air is passed through and it changes the ratio in which sounds get absorbed or reflected. Usually its not that big deal but in this case it can completely change ones perception of these headphones. Still, in a way root cause could still be the housing and your mod fixes that issue which original pads can't correct. If your mod introduces more air it can alleviate all that messiness that goes around there. Internally SR1/SR2 is basically Grado with paper blocking the opening but instead of foam here we have sealing leather pads. Generally you don't want opposing surfaces facing directly towards back of the driver if all the space you have there is a tube. Of course the design has alot of positive affects too. SR1/SR2 would not sound so good if it didn't. Many headphones have that sort of hidden tube design. Here is JVC DX1000 and ZMF Atticus and Eikon.
1642261201984.png

1642261243090.png

As I regularly listen to Utopia I would also be curious to see pictures of that mod of yours :)

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #473 of 915
So...late to the party. There has been some controversy about crinacles measurements on SR2. Thing about SR2's (also with SR1 but slightly less) is that iBasso is extremely sensitive about positioning. Both on how they're positioned on ones head, measurement device and how the earpads are angled on the headphones. Here is my measurement with earpads that have larger perforations. Measured with minidsp ears, HEQ and 1/12 smoothing.
1642246724649.png
Red and green are very different but position on the measurement rig was only slightly different. So I think Crinacles measurements are correct but show only one possible outcome. I've measured about 100 headphones and SR2 is only headphone that has such big frequency response changes with minor headphone/earpad position adjustments. Black line is average of the two and to my ears sounds most close to what I'm hearing...most of the times anyway. That peak in 4,5khz is real but did not bother me. I know for a fact that my hearing is not sensitive in 4-6khz region so someone else might find the low treble offensive. Crinacles measurements place that between 5-6khz which is propably more accurate considering he has a professional level measurement system.

Let's take a look of the other earpads that are very similar to PT1 pads but perforations on original PT1 are slighly more closed in. I think those are infact PT1 pads but pleather material has changed just a little during production. Or it could be just a matter of other pads being more worn out.
1642247104711.png
Same results as previously. Wild changes in frequency response with just small changes in position of the headphones. Black is again average and closest to what I'm hearing.

So how about compared to SR1 with PT1 pads?
1642247180013.png
When properly positioned and factoring in all the potential changes and measurement errors they're basically the same. In listening tests SR2 has slightly stronger bass but falls little behind in detail retrival compared to SR1. I think that is because SR2 is more closed than SR1. Internal acoustics are the same but SR2 has some foam behind the grille that SR1 does not have. SR1 cups are also basically open to all sides and making it more open than SR2. I think SR2 builds more pressure inside the cups which makes its bass more impactfull but also blurries the microdynamic abilities. Other than that SR1=SR2.

Overall I think SR2 is excellent headphone. Best bass and imaging I've heard in headphones of this price range. Insane macrodynamics too that can challenge Focal Elex. For me PT1 pads offer a nice smooth tuning, not that different from some ZMF headphones. Tonality with the larger perforation pads its bit weird. Midrange has some edgy hardness to it that shows clearly as a hump in the measurements. It's not bad though and sounds better than it measures imo. I wish there were third pads that had tonality between the two options. One issues is lacking treble extension past 13khz. Of course there is not much going on up there but it affects sense of air and is audible. That thing shows up in measurements with all the pads and with SR1 too. It's also present in other measurements so it's not just my rig acting up.

Pros:
- Build quality & Comfort. Cable is awesome
- Excellent textured bass with slam
- Macrodynamics that are close to Focal Elex level
- Well proportioned soundstage and class leading imaging
- 2-in-1: Earpads change the sound so much that it really is two headphones with the price of one.

On the Fence:
- Tuning with both pads is controversial. I would have preferred something in between the two.
- Soundstage is not big for open(ish) headphone

Cons:
- Mediocre resolution. Especially with live-albums SR2 leaves too much detail on the table.
- Headband adjuster keeps sliding up. Luckily it's easy to fix.
- Extremely sensitive on how the earpads and headphones are positioned on ones head.

1642248318864.png
Aren't the SR2 and Elex two rather different animals entirely? I've never heard the Elex, but my understanding is that it has a quite forward and in your face type of presentation.

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #474 of 915
Different yes but not miles apart. Sr2 is not the most laidback headphone with big soundstage either. But yes, SR2 is more "normal" and Elex, like other focals have their own in your face and around your head thing they do.

Dynamics are not tied to presentation directly. For example ZMF Atticus has good macrodynamics but it's a very spacious and laidback headphone, especially for a closed back.

What I mean both SR2 and Elex can really kick you in the groin if needed but they also know when to hold back and portray the sence of calm when that is called for.

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #475 of 915
Different yes but not miles apart. Sr2 is not the most laidback headphone with big soundstage either. But yes, SR2 is more "normal" and Elex, like other focals have their own in your face and around your head thing they do.

Dynamics are not tied to presentation directly. For example ZMF Atticus has good macrodynamics but it's a very spacious and laidback headphone, especially for a closed back.

What I mean both SR2 and Elex can really kick you in the groin if needed but they also know when to hold back and portray the sence of calm when that is called for.
I've been up and down about the Elex. I'm worried it will be a bit too aggressive, leading to fatigue sooner than later. That was my experience with the Kennerton Magni. For the most part, I only listen to rock and metal. I would like to find a closed back to accompany my SR2, with a bit bigger low end response. I'm also considering the Radiance, but would rather not spend that much money.

Jan 15, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #476 of 915
Focals tend to be so intense that they're not for everyone. I have not heard magni but If that is anything like gjallahorn gh40 then I understand if you found it fatiguing over time.

How about denon d5200/d7200? Those are definately not bad and propably better value than radiance (or Celestee).

I always recommend JVC mx100z to pretty much everyone. Not easily accessable but if one does not mind non-detachable cable it's awesome. Propably highest value in headphones I've come across in 10+ years I've spent testing hundreds of headphones.

Jan 15, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #477 of 915
Focals tend to be so intense that they're not for everyone. I have not heard magni but If that is anything like gjallahorn gh40 then I understand if you found it fatiguing over time.

How about denon d5200/d7200? Those are definately not bad and propably better value than radiance (or Celestee).

I always recommend JVC mx100z to pretty much everyone. Not easily accessable but if one does not mind non-detachable cable it's awesome. Propably highest value in headphones I've come across in 10+ years I've spent testing hundreds of headphones.
I've owned both the 5200 and 7200, as well as the Teaks. Didn't make the cut unfortunately. I don't know, maybe I'll try the Aeon 2 closed.

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #478 of 915
Ted Allen silver cable after a short A/B session…ummm…BETTER…beyond my belief…using them single ended…full…deeper bass…beyond over-joyed and in complete awe…more to come in a few days…I had to try it AND so glad I did.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #479 of 915
Okay…now back with the balanced mode…now these phones are just there…I’m glad I had Ted put a little Buddha head splitter…nirvana…honestly unbelievable…pure full clean…I will A:B against my “TOTL” balanced phones but honestly don’t feel the need…the bass is so deep full and the timbre of the Highs are perfectly presented…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 668F8839-04F0-4268-9463-BEF04E49BE8C.jpeg
    668F8839-04F0-4268-9463-BEF04E49BE8C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 24, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #480 of 915
These things Rock…they classical…they blues…figured out how to get Spotify to run on the computer…some Matcha 🍵….and auditory blissssssssssssss

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 5C47A3AF-1A27-4713-A269-6EF11DF2239E.jpeg
    5C47A3AF-1A27-4713-A269-6EF11DF2239E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back