Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Feb 14, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #496 of 915
I just ordered these. If I like them with the regular 3.5mm cable I plan on getting the balanced 4.4mm Pentaconn iBasso cable after listening to what they can do balanced with my Clear's cable. Hopefully they'll be powered well by my sources either way: my Sony WM1A's balanced output, which I use for everything I own, is 250mW+250mW, 16Ω (via the regular 3.5mm jack it puts out only 60mW), and the Lotoo PAW2's output is 125mW via 3.5mm but slightly higher balanced, 150mW+150mW, 32Ω.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #497 of 915
I know I promised a thorough post about the pad comparison, and it's been around 7 months since then. Now that I finally had some free time to actually do this properly, I did it.

After doing the pad comparison and amp module comparison (this one is yet to be published), I would strongly argue that the iBasso SR2 is the best headphone out there under 500 bucks (likely above, but let's just take into consideration its MSRP).

Here's the write-up (now added to my iBasso SR2 review — I highly recommend you give it a read if you haven't already. I promise you will not regret it):

The Approach

This whole A/B test was made possible with the help of iBasso, who supplied me two identical pairs of the SR2. By this I mean that I have two SR2 headphones with the exact same cables. If it weren’t for these two pairs, I wouldn’t have been able to write a valid A/B comparison due to the great amount of time it takes to swap out the ear-pads. This way I had two pairs of headphones that only had different pads, allowing me to just take one off my head, put the other one on and plug it in.

I personally believe that it’s crucial to have two identical pairs of anything in order to write a valid A/B test… especially when audio is in question. This eliminates the most subjective factor which is audio memory — the time it takes to swap out the pads just presents a major flaw due to the fact that anything said or written based on such an A/B test would be based on the very subjective audio memory. While the test I carried out was also based on my audio memory, it significantly cut down the time needed to be able to swap between the two variants. It took me only a couple of seconds to swap between the two variants, while it would’ve taken a couple minutes (if not more than 10 minutes) to perform a pad swap.

Setup:

iBasso DX300 MAX
Android OS
Ultimate Mode On
Filter D3
Low Gain

SR2 with the balanced 4.4mm iBasso CB17 cable

Stock ear-pads — small perforation vs larger perforation

The difference between these two variations is beyond significant. In terms of sheer loudness difference, I would say that the larger perforation ear-pads are 25%-30%. Besides loudness, the larger perforation ear-pads lose that vacuum-like seal that the stock pads offer. This affects the SR2 in a couple of ways. The first being the isolation, and the second being the airiness. In other words, the larger perforation pads sound more open-back, while the stock pads give more of a closed-back experience.

In terms of sound performance, once again, it comes as no surprise that the two ear-pads significantly differ and affect it. In short: the smaller perforation pads offer a much more intense presentation with softer highs and much deeper lows, while the larger perforation pads offer an open-back-like experience where the highs are more pronounced, the upper mids are sharper, and the lows are more tamed.

Let’s talk about vocals for a second. On the larger perforation ones, they are sharper and more airy, but that might not be what everybody is looking for. From just A/B testing between these two pads, I personally preferred the smaller perforation ones because they have more pleasant-sounding vocals.

As expected, both have their pros and cons. The smaller perforation ear-pads provide the physical sensation of rumble, which is something that the larger perforation pads don’t offer, and this rumble sensation mostly comes from that vacuum-like seal that the larger perforation pads don’t have. The larger perforation pads have more details in the upper range, resulting in crisper and clearer treble tones. The biggest advantage that the larger perforation pads have over the smaller perforation ones is the extra space in the soundstage and overall presentation. Elements have more room to breathe, and thus have better definition and clarity. The smaller perforation pads offer a more intense, cinematic-like experience, and that’s something that not everyone is looking for. Also, that extra oomph and rumble in the lower end on the smaller perforation pads provides a less clear, muddier sound (in comparison to the larger perforation ones), and I think that this alone might be the reason why someone migrates to the larger perforation pads.

As a whole, my preference is the stock pads (smaller perforation) because of the more intense sound presentation, and I’m also a sucker for that vacuum-like seal and physical sensation of rumble. It brings more excitement to the SR2.

I would say that anyone looking for a more balanced and neutral sound signature should go for the larger perforation pads.

Stock small perforation ear-pads vs Dekoni Audio Fostex TH / Denon AH ear-pads

The Dekoni Audio pads offer a completely different feel from the stock pads. In terms of its physical characteristics, they are noticeably smaller than the stock pads. This goes for both the inner and outer diameter of the pads, but also for the the thickness and surface area. Though it didn’t appear to be a major difference when measured and A/B compared the pads, on the ears it’s quite significant. The Dekoni pads feel more cozy, which is nothing new for velour.

At first I thought the sound would be louder on the Dekoni pads, but it turned out it’s completely the opposite. The stock pads are considerably louder than the Dekoni pads, which I’m thinking has a lot to do with the materials and the inner diameter of the pads. In terms of the sound, it kind of falls between the stock small perforation and the larger perforation pads. The small perforation pads have a bigger sound in general, and they still have a deeper and more present low end. Even though the Dekoni pads have less presence, they are still capable of that physical sensation of rumble that the stock pads have. Something which I was very surprised by is the loudness. The mids sound better and more refined on the Dekoni pads. Also, I found the timbre and overall tonality to be better on the Dekoni pads. The highs remain at a somewhat same level, no major differences there. If anything, the Dekoni pads are a tad brighter. Now, the most significant difference is the soundstage and imaging. This is where the thinner nature of the Dekoni plays a major role, because this is what’s causing the smaller soundstage and overall even more of a closed-back experience.

I would say that the Dekoni pads might be the most refined out of the three, but am still not 100% sure on that. They are all different, that’s for sure, and this is something that allows you to play around with the pads and find what suits you the most.

I am personally having a hard time choosing between the Dekoni pads and the stock small perforation pads.

The stock pads give you a true grand experience and presentation, very intimate, growling lows, good mids, good highs. The Dekoni pads give you a more tame low end, mids with better tonality and timbre, and good highs.

Conclusion​

To think that a headphone priced below $1k comes with two sets of pads that alter the sound performance this much is unbelievable. It’s beyond fascinating and rare. To even have the option to choose between three sets of ear-pads is a true luxury that only a few headphones have. This being said, I think that anyone with a SR2 has a lot of ways to fine tune its sound performance and is extremely lucky to be an owner of such a headphone. What’s more, if you own iBasso’s DX300, you pretty much have an end game setup. Why do I say this? Taking into consideration of all the amp modules and amp module mods available for the DX300, you can consider the combination of SR2 and DX300 a platform. A true platform which allows for precise fine tuning. This, this is what I consider an end game, because you have options. I think people are really missing out on the SR2, and I think it’s mainly due to its fairly low price. If iBasso were to price it at around $2k, I think it would get the praise it deserves.
Well, it's good to know that the Dekoni pads work, should I ever need them. Truth be told, I haven't even bothered trying the 2nd set of pads that come with the headphone. After reading this, I'm fairly certain I would prefer the stock pads anyways. Exactly which Dekoni pads were you using? Almost makes me wish I didn't sell my Teaks and 7200. I'm curious what the Ibasso pads would sound like with them.
I'm not going to say that the SR2 is the best sounding headphone in it's price bracket. Obviously that's subjective, and I certainly haven't heard every headphone out there. What I will say is that I couldn't care less. The SR2 is my jam, and I really can't imagine finding another set of cans in the same price range that I would find more satisfying.
If they truly compete with headphones costing four times as much, that's quite the value. Personally, I highly doubt I'll ever spend that much money on a set anyways. The performance of the SR2 is outstanding imo.

Feb 15, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #498 of 915
What amp are you using…and you know what they say…there’s a headphone for every ear…some people LOVE Grado…some people LOVE ZMF…my posts are my opinion…May you find peace and your path to audio nirvana be as joyous as mine
I'm using two ROON Ropieee endpoints, one with Benchmark DAC3 (DAC/AMP) and second with Yggdrasil A2 / SMSL SH-9, where the latter is more resolving and transparent, while the former less so. Both are quite enjoyable with Ananda, as well as for example Meze Liric, which I had for a week for an audition.

In my view on SR2, which I expressed above, I didn't mean to blame you for my purchasing decision. I respect other's opinions, but my taste is probably so different, that I wanted to express how much subjectivity is in play.

Feb 16, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #499 of 915
Just got my SR2. Pretty impressive right out of the box, and it will run fine balanced from my sources. So I'm getting that iBasso balanced 4.4mm cable.

Feb 16, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #500 of 915
Feb 17, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #501 of 915
Are there any first or third party velour pads for the SR2, that don't ruin the technicalities like soundstage and imaging? I'd love to try the SR2 but leather (and anything similar) doesn't match my head very well for some reason.

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #502 of 915
Any suggestions on a carrying case? I would like one with a handle, which the supplied one lacks. I wonder if this one would fit the SR2 without having to fold the earpieces flat: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DBBRPL...olid=12FIF0EMX0TY9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Both of the Accessory House cases are too small, even the 2XL size for the HD800 and other big headphones. [sigh] I was hoping that these would fit without folding the earpieces flat, because I don't want to keep moving those swivels and I don't want the yokes to touch. The iBasso case is deep enough to fit the headphones unfolded, of course, but it lacks a handle or D-rings for a strap.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #503 of 915
If the metal iBasso emblem is coming off your case, here's what to do to fix the problem. On mine, the emblem was not in place, right out of the box. I was able to peel off the double-sided adhesive tape with a finger nail and some patience. You can use the wadded up adhesive to pull off most of the last vestiges of glue on the metal. There was NOTHING stuck to the fabric on mine. I used 91% isopropyl alcohol to get off anything remaining. I smoothed out the edges of the metal with some metal-polishing sandpaper, and then slightly beveled the edges the same way (just to knock off any sharp stuff). I also sanded the back of the metal for good measure, and cleaned everything with the alcohol. The metal emblem is about 3/16" longer than the depression on the case, but don't cut it down to fit exactly.

Epoxy is the safest bet for adhering metal to fabric. Thin glues like cyanoacrylate or even contact cement won’t work, which is why a bead of a thick epoxy is needed.

I masked off the case with blue painter's tape around the depression for the emblem, and applied a thin bead of clear 5-minute epoxy glue (JB Weld) in the middle of the rectangular depression - do NOT go all the way to the edges! Because the emblem is longer than the depression, use just enough glue to "fill in" about 1/8" of the central part of the depression so that the plate will touch the glue, which will spread out a bit more when the plate is put on top of the glue bead. Wear disposable nitrile gloves, and don't get any glue threads on the case! That's what the painter's tape will insure against. Remove the painter's tape, and then place the metal emblem over/in the depression, but only place it in the depression and on the glue bead with enough slight pressure to get the glue on the metal - you do NOT want to push so hard that the glue will ooze out past the edge of the metal. If you do get any epoxy glue threads on the front of the metal plate, then 91% alcohol will remove it (use a cotton cloth), as long as you act quickly. Let the case/emblem dry overnight.

(I've asked the US importer to suggest to iBasso that this case really needs a handle, and a pair of D-rings for a shoulder strap. Plus I inquired about the availability of spare earpads for the SR2 - the iBasso website shows only the pads for the SR1.)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #504 of 915
Things must be pretty rough in Serbia if they punch you in the face for comparing headphones. I think the law of diminishing returns is in full effect once you get past the $500 mark so that isn't completely unreasonable. I was strongly considering the iBasso SR2 but when the Edition XS started getting all the praise I bought it instead. I haven't heard anything else from Hifiman but the Edition XS is excellent. I'm still semi-considering getting an SR2 (there is an open box pair on eBay right now). The problem is if I like it I would have to sell off my Focal Elegia and if I didn't like it I would have to turn around and resell the SR2 immediately, which is a pain. I highly doubt it would be considerably better than either of my headphones if at all in terms of capability, probably more of a sound signature preference.
I haven’t thought about my old Elegia since I sold them to buy the SR2. YMMV, but IMO they’re a much more satisfying listen.

Mar 5, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #505 of 915
I haven’t thought about my old Elegia since I sold them to buy the SR2. YMMV, but IMO they’re a much more satisfying listen.
Maybe, but I think I'm done with new headphones for awhile. And I also wouldn't have a good closed back anymore.

Mar 9, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #506 of 915
This headphone never disappoints.

Just yesterday I finally had the chance to watch Blade Runner 2049 on my MacBook. What a ride.

I used the stock pads, and the rumble was gorgeous. I love the small perforated pads for their physical sensation of rumble. Of course, space and positioning was on point.

Music, movies, probably gaming, SR2 is a beast.

The longer your own the SR2, the more you appreciate it. The more it fascinates you how others are missing out on it, yet you own it and are having one of the best headphone experiences out there.

Mar 10, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #507 of 915
These headphones have stellar imaging and mids

Mar 10, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #508 of 915
These headphones have stellar imaging and mids
Out of all my headphones, I use the SR2 and the Utopia all the time. About 60% SR2 and then Utopia.

Mar 10, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #509 of 915
Out of all my headphones, I use the SR2 and the Utopia all the time. About 60% SR2 and then Utopia.
As somebody who listens to speakers most of the time I never had the desire to have more than one headphones. Reading your post, I can't imagine benefits of using SR2 instead of TOTL model having both. Is it because of the music, that some is recorded so bad, that hearing it "full monty" is unpleasant?

Mar 10, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #510 of 915
As somebody who listens to speakers most of the time I never had the desire to have more than one headphones. Reading your post, I can't imagine benefits of using SR2 instead of TOTL model having both. Is it because of the music, that some is recorded so bad, that hearing it "full monty" is unpleasant?
I don't quite understand your statement.

I do have some very fine speakers but with good headphones, you can get some excellent sound reproduction. Unlike speakers, it is easy to change the sound reproducers. Maybe I am not understand at all what you are saying. On poorly recorded music, I normally do not listen to it, even though it may be some of my favorite songs. I can't stand boxed in poorly recorded music. It is sad that some excellent songs were done with junk mics and badly trained sound engineers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back