Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Oct 18, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #631 of 915
I've got one of these on the way.

I'm pretty new to the audio gear thing. Two years ago my best headphone was an AKG K52 and my best amp/dac was my phone.

Since then I've had not many. Meze 99 Neo--loved these. Verum mkii (yes, i know, we dont need to discuss the controversy)--enjoyed for a time. Grabbed a couple Grado SR80Xs for me and a mate to watch media together with rather than use cheapo desk computer speakers, and then grabbed a DT 990 600 ohm because I wanted to know what a tried and true decades-old solid studio headphone would be like.

I use a Vali 2++ and a TDA1543 dac that I got from aliexpress.

And now I'm getting an iBasso SR2.

I'm not sure if the perspective of someone like me is especially useful, but I read this entire thread (!!) and I think it's at least interesting, for the iBasso SR2 to be someone's first headphone that cost more than ~$300.

Well.

They cost me $320 because some saint was selling a pair for that price, who had swapped to an all stereo setup and had not yet used their SR2s at all.

$550 headphone that allegedly hits above its price bracket, at a discount?
For me, someone who's favorite headphone (DT 990) is, like, $200 at worst?

What the hell is gonna happen? No idea.

Right now I'm at a point in my audiophile journey where I'm trying to gauge, to me, exactly how much value a headphone gives as compared to a DAC. Because, my TDA1543 dac was such a huge and surprising improvement from my previous batch of dacs (all portable. Fiio BTR5, Q3, and Cayin RU6) that, well, I'm interested. Curious.

The DAC is what's making the music exist in the first place, right? The headphone is just interpretting the signal it gets from the amp. :wink:

(i'm very excited to hear this headphone ok i'm done typing thanks bye)

Oct 18, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #632 of 915
I've got one of these on the way.

I'm pretty new to the audio gear thing. Two years ago my best headphone was an AKG K52 and my best amp/dac was my phone.

Since then I've had not many. Meze 99 Neo--loved these. Verum mkii (yes, i know, we dont need to discuss the controversy)--enjoyed for a time. Grabbed a couple Grado SR80Xs for me and a mate to watch media together with rather than use cheapo desk computer speakers, and then grabbed a DT 990 600 ohm because I wanted to know what a tried and true decades-old solid studio headphone would be like.

I use a Vali 2++ and a TDA1543 dac that I got from aliexpress.

And now I'm getting an iBasso SR2.

I'm not sure if the perspective of someone like me is especially useful, but I read this entire thread (!!) and I think it's at least interesting, for the iBasso SR2 to be someone's first headphone that cost more than ~$300.

Well.

They cost me $320 because some saint was selling a pair for that price, who had swapped to an all stereo setup and had not yet used their SR2s at all.

$550 headphone that allegedly hits above its price bracket, at a discount?
For me, someone who's favorite headphone (DT 990) is, like, $200 at worst?

What the hell is gonna happen? No idea.

Right now I'm at a point in my audiophile journey where I'm trying to gauge, to me, exactly how much value a headphone gives as compared to a DAC. Because, my TDA1543 dac was such a huge and surprising improvement from my previous batch of dacs (all portable. Fiio BTR5, Q3, and Cayin RU6) that, well, I'm interested. Curious.

The DAC is what's making the music exist in the first place, right? The headphone is just interpretting the signal it gets from the amp. :wink:

(i'm very excited to hear this headphone ok i'm done typing thanks bye)
Let us know your first impressions when it arrives. $320 for these is an absolutely steal!

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #634 of 915
They're here!

My absolute first impression is "wow, this sounds so clear and natural!"

way moreso than my meze 99 or dt 990 did that's for sure :beyersmile:
Yes, natural is a good way to put it.

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #635 of 915
They're here!

My absolute first impression is "wow, this sounds so clear and natural!"

way moreso than my meze 99 or dt 990 did that's for sure :beyersmile:
Checks out ✅

Okay, now take your time with them and let us know how the impressions settle in. Don't rush it, take your time with them. I'd say, at least a couple of months!

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #636 of 915
Checks out ✅

Okay, now take your time with them and let us know how the impressions settle in. Don't rush it, take your time with them. I'd say, at least a couple of months!
A couple of months? I burned mine in for about a week, listening a letting them play music and they matured wonderfully.

I really like the Utopia but for a truly natural sound, to me, the SR2 are better but because of the difference, they compliment each other very well with, IMO, the SR2 being on the same level but in a different way. Good stuff!

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #637 of 915
They're very comforting. I can hear more detail in the treble (than my previous pairs) even while the treble isn't hot at all..

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #638 of 915
They're very comforting. I can hear more detail in the treble (than my previous pairs) even while the treble isn't hot at all..
Comforting is a good description of the sound, yet they are also very musical, energetic, and engaging.

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #639 of 915
A couple of months? I burned mine in for about a week, listening a letting them play music and they matured wonderfully.

I really like the Utopia but for a truly natural sound, to me, the SR2 are better but because of the difference, they compliment each other very well with, IMO, the SR2 being on the same level but in a different way. Good stuff!
I'm not talking about breaking in. Honeymoon phase can last quite some time, and for one's impressions to truly settle in, imo, at least a couple of months need to pass. You know, it's like when the ownership of the said item settles in. It's when you're familiar with it, when you've spent considerable time with it, when it feels natural owning it. You don't want to be starstruck, because that's bias.

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #640 of 915
I'm not talking about breaking in. Honeymoon phase can last quite some time, and for one's impressions to truly settle in, imo, at least a couple of months need to pass. You know, it's like when the ownership of the said item settles in. It's when you're familiar with it, when you've spent considerable time with it, when it feels natural owning it. You don't want to be starstruck, because that's bias.
Good point.

Oct 23, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #641 of 915
Уважаемые члены клуба! Выражаю Вам огромную благодарность за информативные и полезные посты! По вашим рекомендациям я приобрел СР-2 больше года назад и до сих пор это мои самые любимые наушники из всего моего зоопарка...))))

Oct 23, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #642 of 915
Уважаемые члены клуба! Выражаю Вам огромную благодарность за информативные и полезные посты! По вашим рекомендациям я приобрел СР-2 больше года назад и до сих пор это мои самые любимые наушники из всего моего зоопарка...))))
Very happy to hear that! A year of ownership, that means that it earned its place as your favorite headphone ;D

Friendly tip: try using Google Translate and post in English, this way more people can understand you)))

Oct 26, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #644 of 915
If you turn your phone upside down, it's still unreadable.
He wrote:

Dear club members! Thank you very much for the informative and useful posts! According to your recommendations, I bought SR-2 more than a year ago and so far these are my favorite headphones from my entire zoo...))))

Oct 27, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #645 of 915
Put my SR2's back on today and I'm am going with some jazz. Started off with Red Clay moved onto Blue Train and am now doing a deep dive with four Donald Byrd albums.
The SR2's may not hit the really high notes with horn jazz, but they also do not have the sometimes piercing highs that come along with them.

Going to run these through the weekend with all my amps.
I LOVE this hobby! :L3000:

20221027_090623.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back