iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Jun 8, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #1,351 of 1,604
P5 internals.

"We haven’t seen a dedicated amp from iBasso for a while now, and the P5 is the successor to the old P4."
http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-audio-p5-portable-amplifier/reviews/14027

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #1,352 of 1,604

Thank you, ph0n6!

Yes, it seems to be designed to suit the masses...  

/sarc/

We want everything to be slickly styled, smaller, lighter and more convenient, with USB charging and a longer battery life!  

Oh wait...  All of those must-haves will compromise power output and sound quality! Oh well! That's what we want! Give it to us!

/end sarc/

UGH a pb3 without opAmp Rolling >.> 

well on the plus side, I've decided I'm going to do an ASC in EET here in the fall, as there's a part of me that's terrified about not being able to fix my own gear! So much so I think I'd like to move into that feild

either way, I've still got my PB2, an it's been running like a champ for maybe 3 years now! I've never had an issue with it. Here's to hoping they make a Modular PB3, though I doubt they will. "Audio phile" is getting popular, and with that popularity I think there's an increase in the number of customers who want a simpler product [IE less options/tinkering] which is a shame 

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #1,353 of 1,604
Confirmed the power plug on PB2 is 5.5*2.1mm with iBasso so that LPS posted previously will work with it.

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #1,354 of 1,604
If bypassing the internal PB2 battery with a desktop LPS and a linear external battery ( Energizer XPAL ) is it best to fully charge it or fully discharge the original internal battery, if is not going to be the primary power source ?
Also, can it be removed easily ?
That would give more room for a caps upgrade and in Zilch's case, the Sparkos would fit, IF it operates normally with external power only.

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #1,355 of 1,604
  If bypassing the internal PB2 battery with a desktop LPS and a linear external battery ( Energizer XPAL ) is it best to fully charge it or fully discharge the original internal battery, if is not going to be the primary power source ?
Also, can it be removed easily ?
That would give more room for a caps upgrade and in Zilch's case, the Sparkos would fit, IF it operates normally with external power only.

Hi Lohb,

Li-Ion and LiPo batteries should be discharged to a voltage of 3.8V per cell before putting them away in storage.  They will have a voltage as high as 4.2V per cell when fully charged.  

The battery pack in the PB2 has a 3 cells, so when it's fully charged, it would measure as high as 12.6V (4.2V per cell) and when you store it, it should measure exactly 11.4V (3.8V per cell).

It can be easily disconnected, but I think it has some double-sided tape on the underside, because it doesn't come loose easily.  I've never tried to actually remove it completely - I've only noticed that I cannot wiggle it or lift it.

And therein lies my advice - I would just leave it alone. Battery packs are known for eating power power supply noise.  JKenney, maker of the Ciunas DAC, uses LiFePO4 cells inside his DAC to power it, but he encourages his customers to leave the DAC connected to its AC-powered charger.  I have the French-made Audiophonics PCM5102 DAC, which has a really small Li-Ion battery inside, that couldn't possibly power the DAC for longer than about an hour, if that. But that's not the intent. The battery is only there to filter noise. They too, say to operate the DAC with the charger connected at all times.  In their case, they don't provide a power supply - you have to go get one of your choosing.  Weird.  I no longer have it, but for a while I had an inexpensive NOS DAC, also from France, called The Battery DAC.  It had rechargeable batteries inside, but I couldn't hear any difference switching the mains power in and out to charge the batteries during use. But in their case, they encourage the idea that it will be quieter when operating without mains power.  Ironically, the noise floor was so high from using a cheap Philips NOS DAC chip, that using battery power is next to pointless, except for enjoying portable operation, but it was almost too big for that.  :)

So, when using the PB2 as a desktop amp, I run it with the charger switch turned on while supplying it with 16V from the XP8000 + Willy Cable, and - surprise - I leave the XP8000 plugged into its charger.  :)  It's so easy to test for noise - just find an excellent recording that has lots of black silence in it, and try listening carefully, even with the volume cranked up a little higher than you would normally listen.  Try removing the XP8000 from its charger, then plugging it back in, then taking it back out.  You won't hear any increase or decrease in noise.  I can't, anyway.  Then leave the XP8000 plugged into the AC and try unplugging the Willy Cable from the back of the PB2, out and in, out and in.  No changes in the noise floor.  With two batteries in between the mains and your PB2, you've got twice the filtering, assuming there's anything to be said for how JKenney and Audiophonics promote leaving their battery-powered components plugged into the chargers.

Mike

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #1,356 of 1,604
Thanks Mike, as thorough as ever !
I'm going to go through the Pelican case dimensions next for it as sometimes I have water bottles in my sling/torrential rainy season downpours etc.
Will add any information to the PB2 database. Currently using this for DAC and IEMs.

Pelican 1050 for PB2 with an Energizer/XPAL external battery combo by the looks of it....

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #1,357 of 1,604
Just received my PB2.
It's about 50% of the cubic volume I'd imagined it to be. But that is a good thing.
Now to see if I an get these four single v5i opamps to fit inside.

Nope V5i singles are a no-go. I think duals would just squeeze in.

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #1,358 of 1,604
Ah yes, having a little 'zen' moment here.
This little amp is lovely with my other equipment.
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #1,359 of 1,604

Mike

Mike are you running dummy buffers with the Sparkos ? I think I need to get Sparkos duals, no way to fit the Burson singles ;-(
Do you know what is best to put in the buffer socket to not stand in the way of current for planars...dummies, buffers or actual opamps ?

Currently using the AD797 and wideband buffers with caps due to the V5i's not fitting.

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #1,361 of 1,604
Lohb, I've been running the duals for a week or two now. They're a tight fit, but I don't have any jumpers plugged in

Here's a bad pic taken with my phone.

Nice, how you finding them vs the stock kit ?
I just got told by Burson to try elevating 2 chips with dip adapters of the 4 singles to get then fitting in the PB2.
If no joy, on to Sparkos it is for me.

I'm finding the higher gain settings on PB2 have more bite/attack dynamics but on a thread as old as this it no new information I guess.
Anyway, with these new discrete OPAMPs new to the market they will be taking the SQ of PB2 to a higher level again, hopefully.

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #1,362 of 1,604
Lohb, I've been running the duals for a week or two now. They're a tight fit, but I don't have any jumpers plugged in

By elevating yours, I guess you will be able to use the gain jumpers again.
I see you are not using dummy buffers. Did you roll in a few combinations before choosing an OPAMP in the buffer slots ?
I'm still trying to get to grip with the benefits/drawbacks of different chips in the buffer slots...BUF634P WB gave the 797's a meatier sound, though less clearer from what I can remember.

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #1,363 of 1,604
  Mike are you running dummy buffers with the Sparkos ? I think I need to get Sparkos duals, no way to fit the Burson singles ;-(
Do you know what is best to put in the buffer socket to not stand in the way of current for planars...dummies, buffers or actual opamps ?

Currently using the AD797 and wideband buffers with caps due to the V5i's not fitting.

Hi Lohb,

Yes, I always use dummy buffers in the PB2, when using it with the HD800 or with my recently acquired DT880 600-Ohm (modified by BTG-Audio to use balanced cables).

I would love to have the current gain offered by using "real" buffers in the output stage, but the noise floor is always lower when I use dummy buffers - as heard with highly resolving headphones. When using the LCD-2 rev.1, HD600, and HD650, for example, I cannot hear the increase in noise floor that comes with using "real" op-amps in the buffer stage - so with those headphones, I can enjoy the extra power that comes with using buffer op-amps, without feeling as if I am having to compromise the noise floor.  

And speaking of power vs. noise... check out the comparison chart Sparkos Labs has published:

Source:  http://sparkoslabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/SS3601_SS3602.pdf

Take this chart with a grain of salt, if you like (with it showing the SS360x having more power and lower noise than the other op-amps listed), but I can attest that not only does a pair of SS3602 duals in my PB2 (with dummy buffers) exhibit an audibly lower noise floor than the Burson V5 duals in the same chain, they can drive my 600-Ohm balanced-cabled DT880 with terrific authority. The SS3602 is powerful, even with only the +/- 16V supply voltage of the PB2.  The SS3602 is just coasting along with a +/-16V supply voltage (with the PB2 on external 16V power), given that they can handle supply voltages as high as +/- 22V (compared to the current edition Burson V5's +/-17V).

In looking at the data sheets of a lot of different op-amps, I've noticed that most op-amps tend to yield their lowest noise levels not at their absolute maximum permissible supply voltage, but rather at supply voltages that are roughly 85% to 90% of absolute maximum. Yes, they will give you more output power to your headphones if you can give them their absolute maximum supply voltage, but they will be noisier at their maximum permissible voltage.  Consider how good a match the +/- 16V supply voltage of the PB2 is (on external power), with high gain, to the +/- 22V maximum supply voltage of the Sparkos, vs. the +/-17V maximum supply voltage of the Burson V5. Take note that I am assuming these two discrete op-amps behave a lot like most IC op-amps in terms of low noise at less than maximum power, which might not be the case, but in general, it just makes intuitive sense to me that an op-amp which is not maxed out will generate less noise. 

The DT880 600 sounds a little compressed and has slightly uncontrolled bass when using only half of the SS3602 Duals via the TRS jack of the PB2, but when I switch to balanced cables, using the PB2's Hirose jack, the DT880 600 comes to life, finally getting enough power to be all it can be - with the tightest, most textured and detailed bass I've ever heard - way better than my LCD-2 rev.1 in terms of control and texture, even when the LCD-2 is connected to my Oppo HA-1's 4-pin XLR jack, that puts out 2000 mW into 32-Ohms. The bass energy (amplitude) of the DT880 600 is not as great as that of the LCD-2 rev.1, but that's a good thing, as I've long since "matured" in terms of how much bass energy sounds natural and real vs. simply "fun."  The HD800 weaned me of my lust for bass, but the DT880 600, with balanced cables and Beyer's pleather pads (instead of the velour pads), is "just right," as Goldilocks would say. I can also say that the Sparkos SS3602 plus DT880 600 has a more "musical" bass. The warp of a tympani drum, for example, is awesomely slurred through a range of low frequencies rather than sounding like a brief honking at a single frequency. I realize that I'm pitching the DT880 600, here, as much as I am the Sparkos SS3602, but the fact is, I don't get this level of performance with other op-amps in the PB2.  After getting my DT880 600 back from BTG-audio having installed mini-XLR jacks for balanced operation, I ran through some of my favorite opamps with the DT880, not wanting to overlook any special synergies that might exist.  Forget about it.  The Sparkos SS3602 wins!

Basically, thanks to the Sparkos SS3602 duals, my precious PB2, and balanced output to the DT880 600, my HD800 is gathering dust (at least for the moment).  Oh, the HD800 sounds great with the SS3602s but, it just can't muster the bass energy of the $220 DT880 600 with the $70 mod performed by BTG-Audio and Beyer pleather pads. The detail from top to bottom is spectacular. The noise floor is really low. And the treble doesn't have the smoothing "glow" around every note that the (too tall) Burson V5 Duals have. The Sparkos SS3602 yields so much blackness around even the lowest-energy signals, that the soundstage just blossoms. Micro-details against inky black backgrounds are the building blocks of soundstage - they map out the dimensions of the space in which the music was recorded, revealing the weakest of natural reverbs. The DT880 isn't known for having the big soundstage of the HD800, but thanks to the low noise of the Sparkos, the width and depth of the soundstage is surprising.  The Sparkos also place you a lot closer to the stage, where the dynamics are more impactful and vocals more intimate and close (all but feeling the singer's breath on your face) than the Burson V5, where you find yourself sitting farther back from the stage - more laid back,less dynamic, with less "slam."  I attribute the superior dynamics, the bass control and and the authority of drum hits and bass kicks to the SS3602's raw power.  I'm running them with the PB2 jumpers set to high gain.  If I were using much more efficient headphones, these power-related attributes wouldn't be as noticeable relative to the Burson V5s, but the difference in noise floor would be even more noticeable.  

Note, however that I am unable to fully seat the SS3602 into the PB2 sockets:

This has proven to be perfectly OK. They are staying put, with no evidence of rising up out of the sockets on their own, but I have affixed a section of thick packing tape above the Sparkos op-amps, on the underside of the PB2's cover, to provide a non-conductive surface, just in case the SS3602s would touch the bare aluminum.  I've used them with the lid on, without the packing tape, but I feel better having added the packing tape.  There is no room under the PB2's closed case to insert a DIP8 extender.

All that said (I can't help myself thanks to be a fast typist), if I were using the Sparkos SS3602 with less than highly resolving headphones, I wouldn't hesitate to at least try using "real" buffer opamps - to get even more power (through additional current gain), but I would make some careful comparisons while listening with a track that has a lot of silence in it.  I'm pretty sure "real" op-amps could be used instead of dummy buffers, without running into the SS3602s, but I haven't tried it.  :)  

Here's a recording with some silent spaces that really allow the Sparkos SS3602 to show off:   Heart Beat by Antonio Forcione Quartet

Mike

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #1,364 of 1,604

Wow, those sit really close to the exposed gain pins, but I guess nothing is going to move about in there, so if you were going to have a short, it would have happened already.  In truth, they fit better than the Sparkos SS3602, but I would want to use the high gain jumpers.   :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back