iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Aug 9, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #1,127 of 1,604
thanks guys for the input. I am needing an amp for the t1's might just buy the ifi idsd 

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #1,128 of 1,604
Well buyed PB2, buyed NJM2068x2 and with hard but find LT1010.

Well what can say: if use NJM2068 with stock buffers you already start see what pb2 play better scene more width.

With LT1010 you will heard fast real bass this like in bass in live rock concert.

Can say what stock pb2 vs pb2 up this real more diferents.

NJM2068 this real max neutral opamp how and sayed Ron. LT1010 this real good buffer for that headphones how isodynamic.

Ron thank you real for advice what better play this real fantastic (I"m sorry what not buyed you kit. But you sayed No...but you respect.)

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #1,129 of 1,604
No really, who can tell if there's another highly customizable balanced portable amplifier capable of 2.5 watts per channel?
So far I am crazy about it:

Also ordered iBasso Hirose balanced connector. Going to try out my soldering skills by making a balanced cable for DT150 myself. Luckily for me DT150 have two physical wires for each channel. Just need to solder them to the correct pins.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #1,130 of 1,604
Isn`t it awesome ?  
I have a balanced hirose cable for my HD800, and it makes for the ultimate transportable system.  

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #1,132 of 1,604
Quote:
  No really, who can tell if there's another highly customizable balanced portable amplifier capable of 2.5 watts per channel?
So far I am crazy about it:

Also ordered iBasso Hirose balanced connector. Going to try out my soldering skills by making a balanced cable for DT150 myself. Luckily for me DT150 have two physical wires for each channel. Just need to solder them to the correct pins.

I really dig your enthusiasm stillevil.
biggrin.gif

If anybody on this thread hasn't seen it yet, check out this stillevil creation:

cc82b639_stillevil_portable_rig.jpeg

http://www.head-fi.org/t/507835/meier-audio-quickstep-also-stepdance-and-2stepdance-discussion-and-impressions-thread/2805#post_10997869

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #1,133 of 1,604

What DAC and which op-amps are you using for your HD800, Dopaminer?

Thanks!

Mike

I use the iBasso DB2.  It`s a `fully balanced` system.  So far I`m using the stock OPA604 opamps but with the BUF634P 180MHz buffers, the ones with the little capacitor cylinders or whatever they are soldered on.  (See pic below).  Also, no gail jumpers, so +6db gain in balanced mode according to the iBasso pdf.  With these opamps and gain setting, I get comfortable listening levels with my HD800 from 11o`clock to 3o`clock on the volume dial.  (as a side note, when I tried the HE-560 single ended from this system at the Tokyo show last month, I buried the volume knob at max and it wasn`t enough)

I found this headfonia page really helpful. 

d

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #1,134 of 1,604
^ OK, I'm very, very intrigued by your use of the DB2 in that rig!  

Nice shot!

Before I had the HD800, I long ago ordered the DB2 and ended up returning it under iBasso's generous 15-day trial guarantee.  I've been very reluctant to order it since then, because if I again don't like it, I'd want to take a loss and sell it on the used market, rather than returning it again, and frankly, the DB2 is not a very popular DAC.  

But my experience with the DB2 is haunting me because, at least with my LCD-2 rev.1 on the PB2, balanced out, I found the dual-Wolfson equipped DB2 to be too dark for my tastes.  Now that I have the HD800, I love the idea, at least, of using a dark DAC with a highly resolving, transparent, and powerful portable amp.  

So, I've been looking for a used DB2, for quite some time now, but they just don't come up - as I don't think there are all that many of them out there. 

Meanwhile, I really believe that in addition to the desireable "darkness" of the DB2 for the HD800, your choice of op-amps in the PB2 is actually softening things for the HD800 - taking away some of the edginess that can be heard with so many tracks, using the unforgiving HD800.

Currently, my favorite portable chain for the HD800 is:

FiiO X5 PCM1792A DAC Line Out > iBasso PB2 with 4x LME49990 and dummy buffers balanced out > Toxic Cables Silver Poison > HD800

For my tastes, this is still too bright (too much energy in the highs), but it retains all the other traits of the HD800 that I like.  

So... the hunt for a used DB2 continues, as I do not want to buy a new one and take a loss selling it used, if I don't like it...

Mike

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #1,135 of 1,604
  ^ OK, I'm very, very intrigued by your use of the DB2 in that rig!  

Before I had the HD800, I long ago ordered the DB2 and ended up returning it under iBasso's generous 15-day trial guarantee.  I've been very reluctant to order it since then, because if I again don't like it, I'd want to take a loss and sell it on the used market, rather than returning it again, and frankly, the DB2 is not a very popular DAC.  

But my experience with the DB2 is haunting me because, at least with my LCD-2 rev.1 on the PB2, balanced out, I found the dual-Wolfson equipped DB2 to be too dark for my tastes.  Now that I have the HD800, I love the idea, at least, of using a dark DAC with a highly resolving, transparent, and powerful portable amp.  

So, I've been looking for a used DB2, for quite some time now, but they just don't come up - as I don't think there are all that many of them out there. 

Meanwhile, I really believe that in addition to the desireable "darkness" of the DB2 for the HD800, your choice of op-amps in the PB2 is actually softening things for the HD800 - taking away some of the edginess that can be heard with so many tracks, using the unforgiving HD800.

Currently, my favorite portable chain for the HD800 is:

FiiO X5 PCM1792A DAC Line Out > iBasso PB2 with 4x LME49990 and dummy buffers balanced out > Toxic Cables Silver Poison > HD800

For my tastes, this is still too bright (too much energy in the highs), but it retains all the other traits of the HD800 that I like.  

So... the hunt for a used DB2 continues, as I do not want to buy a new one and take a loss selling it used, if I don't like it...

Mike

I always thought the reason used DB2s don`t come up for sale very often is because their owners love them too much !  
The DB2 is really amazing, with it`s true balanced structure, including 2 batteries...  As for shrillness of the HD800, I have always been transported by my HD800, and any music file that that I own which sounds bad with it, I replace with a better version.  I have steadily replaced my music library with better / different versions of the recordings.  For example, I have multiple versions of Massive Attack albums, from my own CD rips, to 24bit `needle drops`, DVD-A rips.  With modern jazz, I have recently been exploring all the SACD rips flooding the sharing sites, and I am always on the lookout for a viable PS3 to rip my own.  Plus, I have joined every single Hi-Res download site I can find, get their samplers, create mixes of my faves.  I simply don`t listen to youtube, or spotify, or iTunes, or MP3 even.  I believe there is a sonic difference between lossy and lossless files, and I believe dsd does have something special.  

I also believe in the placebo effect and am not bothered if that is what I am enjoying.  

My desktop / main headphone amp is a locally-made 3w tube amp, so maybe that`s why I enjoy the DB2 so much.  

Fiio X5 is interesting.  With my db2/pb2 I used the iBasso dx50 as transport, with their short digital interconnect.  

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #1,136 of 1,604
Haha!  Maybe you're right about why the DB2 never comes up for sale - it's not because nobody bought any - it's because they don't want to sell them!  
biggrin.gif

It sounds as if you are way more aggressive than most people at finding high quality recordings - good for you!  I haven't invested as much time as I should to that endeavor, but I'm sure it's very rewarding.

It's beginning to look like I'm just going to have to buy another DB2 to hear it with my HD800... 

Mike

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,137 of 1,604
I must make a new cable with hirose connector for my HD800s

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #1,138 of 1,604
I must make a new cable with hirose connector for my HD800s

What I did was made a universal Hirose to full size XLR adapter cable ready to accept any custom cable terminated with XLR at one end (SE535, HE-500, LCD 2.2 etc)

The coaxial cable from iBasso DX50 (right angle 3.5mm) to DB2 (right angle RCA) is RG179 75 ohm flexible cable, tiny and just right size for 3.5mm plug

DB2/PB2 combo with balanced mod AKG K712 via universal hirose to XLR > XLR to mini XLR > mini XLR to mini XLR

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #1,139 of 1,604
burdieOoooh nice

I've already got a hirose to XLR adapter. I wanted an excuse to make a straight through to hirose 1.5m HD800 cable so I can put the rig in my pocket or bag and walk around with it if I wanted to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back