iBasso P3 Opamp Rolling Thread *Let the rolling begin!
May 17, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #106 of 122
nice one, the AD823 sounds almost as good as the AD825 IMO and 797's rule so i'm not surprised you like this combo
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #108 of 122
I'm not familiar with the OPA827 but you do have to be real careful soldering those damn things. I've found that the 2 x 797's that came with the P3 complement many chip set ups. I tend to leave them in situe and roll 1/2 and buffers.

Are the 827's any good? (not yours of course)

Edit: Man I just checked out the price of those things (£16 each), sorry about you killing them you must be well angry.....

May 26, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #109 of 122
The Ibasso P3+ seems to be up on the Ibasso website and it seems to come with some different opamps too.

I wonder if anyone can tell me what's different from the P3+ over the P3. And also what kind of battery life people are getting with their prefered opamp setups in the P3 and on what gain.

I'll probably end up purchasing a P3+ in a week or 2.

May 27, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #110 of 122
Looking at it I can't see any immediate difference apart from the bundled OpAmps. With the standard P3 you didn't get AD827, AD712, AD8066, LMH6655, LMH6643 or the BUF634 buffer chips. It may be that the original didn't have Nichicon or Dale components but I can't say for sure, maybe someone else knows more?

I'm getting about 16-20 hours with my favourite chipset - AD823 in 1/2 / Ibasso Transistor Buffers / AD797's in 3/4. Although this is my favorite chipset, it shines best with my W3's. The best chipset I've found for the IE8's is the same apart from AD843's in 1/2.

I've ordered the AD827, 712 and 8066 from Farnell so will be rolling them tomorrow night all being well.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #112 of 122
has anyone here tried AD829 in L/R or 3/4? this chip is (supposedly) for hi-res video application, nevertheless i did pair it with OPA627AU (soic) with this combo : AD829 + bypass + OPA627AU... to my ears, this combo delivers certain degree of Ron's TopKit quality with much forward (thicker) mid register.... prior to this, AD829 oscillates like hell with my other combo...
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #113 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by denging /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has anyone here tried AD829 in L/R or 3/4? this chip is (supposedly) for hi-res video application, nevertheless i did pair it with OPA627AU (soic) with this combo : AD829 + bypass + OPA627AU... to my ears, this combo delivers certain degree of Ron's TopKit quality with much forward (thicker) mid register.... prior to this, AD829 oscillates like hell with my other combo...
wink.gif

AD829 is a cranky opamp. It often needs external compensation (a cap from pin 5 to ground), especially if used as a unity gain voltage follower. Besides the input bias current is huge resulting in a massive DC offset if the bias currents aren't balanced.

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #114 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ibasso P3+ seems to be up on the Ibasso website and it seems to come with some different opamps too.

I wonder if anyone can tell me what's different from the P3+ over the P3. And also what kind of battery life people are getting with their prefered opamp setups in the P3 and on what gain.

I'll probably end up purchasing a P3+ in a week or 2.

The P3+ has many updated internal components plus gold-plated circuit boards and battery contacts. There are more possiblities for opamp rolling and one can select from virtual ground or 4-channel ground or even bypass the ground sockets.

It also allows for some different opamps to be used in the grounds.

The sound of the P3+ is improved beyond my best efforts with the P3 Topkit. iBasso just raised the bar a little higher. They took a very good amp and just made it better.

The major differences I hear between the two are most apparent in the more open spatial soundstage and depth of imaging, not so much tonally. The sound is much less confined to the inside of the head.

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #115 of 122
Any set up to suggest? So far I tried only the stocked buffers and opamps and I think the amp it's not bad but nothing exceptional. In particular with my in-ear sennheiser ie6 I hardly ear an improvement.
Now I also got an enormous problem because I ear a strange buzz while the amp is powered by the batteries, on the contrary if it is powered by the power adapter everything's ok.

Can anybody help me? Any suggestions?

P.S.: already read the first pages. Maybe I only need some "training"?

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #116 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by acvtre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any set up to suggest? So far I tried only the stocked buffers and opamps and I think the amp it's not bad but nothing exceptional. In particular with my in-ear sennheiser ie6 I hardly ear an improvement.
Now I also got an enormous problem because I ear a strange buzz while the amp is powered by the batteries, on the contrary if it is powered by the power adapter everything's ok.

Can anybody help me? Any suggestions?

P.S.: already read the first pages. Maybe I only need some "training"?

First thing to try is to replace the batteries with a fresh set of good rechargeables ( Eneloops) or alkalines. Keep in mind that the power adapter does NOT recharge batteries.

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #117 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First thing to try is to replace the batteries with a fresh set of good rechargeables ( Eneloops) or alkalines. Keep in mind that the power adapter does NOT recharge batteries.

Already done and doesn't work.

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #118 of 122
What kind of setup would you suggest, in order to hear a big improvement with my cowon D2 and akg k240 MKII? Don't bother 'bout the cost or what else.
I was wondering how do you test the set ups. Do you use it for days or can you hear immediately the difference? Do you use particular songs?

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #119 of 122
Hi, everyone

I'm new to this opamp-rolling thing but I just want to make my P3 as neutral as possible to "neutralize" (pun intended) the coloration of the amp in order to enjoy the warmness of the ESW9.

In short, I'll like to iQubelize the P3.
tongue_smile.gif

What sort of opamp combo should I be looking at ?

Cheers !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back