iBasso P3 Opamp Rolling Thread *Let the rolling begin!
Mar 26, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #76 of 122
Ok guys, I am officially in the club.

I am listening to OPA2111 in both L/R and 3/4 with iBasso buffer.

It sounds somewhat laidback, somewhat warm. I kind of wish that it has more treble sparkle, not sure if it is the treble extension or I just prefer a brighter sound signature. Overall pretty ok, btw it isn't burned in yet.

How long does it take to burn in?

I guess by removing the buffer it would sound brighter? But I intentionally installed it to burn it in, assuming if buffer does burn in.
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #78 of 122
Questions:

- How long does it take to burn in the P3?
- When AC adapter is used, would the battery stop draining?
- Does low and high gain sound any different? I notice that most of you guys are using high gain mode. But for me even in low gain with IEMs I can't go past 9 o'clock, and 12 o'clock is loud enough for the very inefficient K501.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #80 of 122
I haven't noticed a great deal of difference in the sound of my P3 since new and now. I am not sure that "burn-in" is a real issue with the P3.

When the AC adapter is used, the batteries are not draining.

I have never tried high gain, as, like you, I find that low gain powers all of my headphone to far greater volume than I can ever use.

There are several opamps that will provide more high-end detail and sparkle. The ADA4841 is one of them. Very open and airy with excellent detail. I think you will also find that the OPA2107 will provide more detail in the high frequencies also.

The P3 Heron is, IMO, one of the best portable amps available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Questions:

- How long does it take to burn in the P3?
- When AC adapter is used, would the battery stop draining?
- Does low and high gain sound any different? I notice that most of you guys are using high gain mode. But for me even in low gain with IEMs I can't go past 9 o'clock, and 12 o'clock is loud enough for the very inefficient K501.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #81 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the batteries need to be a specific mAh? I've got a few 250mAh lying around but thought I ought to buy some new/better quality ones Like Vapextech 1100mAh.

How long the 250 MA cells will play depends upon your choice of opamps and phones. I would suggest investing in a set of Eneloops. They self-discharge very little, and perform way above their Ma rating.

Whatever you decide, make sure the capacity of all 6 cells are the same, otherwise the lowest one will be your weak link and result in poorer performance.

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #84 of 122
Played around with the opamps that comes with the P3 and also OPA2107, OPA2111, OPA2132, LT1028, LT1358, LT1364, LT1469. Most of them are ok sounding. My favorite is the OPA2111 and OPA2107. The former being warm sounding, has a wide soundstage, laidback but detailed. The later being comparatively brighter sounding and bring the details to your face.

I started out with OPA2111 in the L/R/3/4 and the iBasso buffer in place, and went back to the same combo. For now I imagine that I'd go back and forth between this combo and OPA2107 in L/R while keeping the rest the same.

Next would be waiting for the "Topkit" to arrive from Ron.
biggrin.gif

I am curious about the LMH6321 buffer, it replaces the BUF634 in the PIMETA v2 as the default buffer. Does anyone have these to try it on your P3?

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #85 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The P3 Heron is, IMO, one of the best portable amps available.

You know, before I bought the amp I wouldn't have thought it possible. But after using my P3 for a month and a half, I tried out the Xin Reference, Voyager, and one other amp I can't remember and I preferred my P3 over them. Well but YMMV seeing that I only briefly tried them like around 5mins listening time each and it might be due to component matching or my ears simply not used to those amps.

and fyi I'm using a L/R 2x AD845 and Ground OPA2132 combination.

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #86 of 122
I got mine yesterday and even the stock Opamp combo to my ears was real good, I thought I'd listen for a while before I start changing. I'm not too technically minded so can anyone tell me is there a 'rule of thumb' for Opamps that require buffers or is it just a case of trial and error as to what sounds good with and without.

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #87 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine yesterday and even the stock Opamp combo to my ears was real good, I thought I'd listen for a while before I start changing. I'm not too technically minded so can anyone tell me is there a 'rule of thumb' for Opamps that require buffers or is it just a case of trial and error as to what sounds good with and without.

Generally, I find that opamps that output a lot of current can be used without buffers and still supply plenty of headroom and punch. Such opamps might include: THS4032, AD8397, AD797, LMH6643, AD8656 (6v only!). Output current can be found in the .pdf datasheets for each opamp.

Even opamps with average output still greatly exceed the current supplied by most unamped players, so unless your phones are extremely inefficient, most opamps will perform adequately without buffers.

Buffers also act as impedance matching devices, so some opamps may need buffers to deliver their full potential performance with some phones.

All things being equal, I feel that the fewer devices that are in the signal path, the less chance there is for stray inductance and capacitance artifacts and phase differences being introduced into the amplified signal.

Despite all the info in datasheets and theoretical mumbo-jumbo, it is still all about what sounds best to your ears. Just pick your favorite opamps and try them with and without buffers and go with what sounds the best to your ears.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #89 of 122
I already said I was impressed by the SQ of this little amp even with the stock Opamps. I've been playing around and have come to the conclusion that yes, there are a few combinations that sound fairly, even very good with most music genre. As I mostly listen to various electronica, psy-chillout/dub, IDM, downtempo stuff (Shen, Shpongle, Ott, Slackbaba, Kuba, Pitch Black, Vibrasphere etc.....you get the picture) I've been experimenting trying to find a signature that suits this best, I think I've found it.

OPA637 L/R
Ibasso Buffers
AD8610 3/4

If you like the above genre (s) and have these Opamps try the combo. I'm blown away by this amp and then some.
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #90 of 122
Addictive, eh???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back