iBasso IT04 IEM, 4 Drivers. Enjoy the Music! Release: July 2, 2018
Aug 6, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #1,186 of 1,733
Sort of different animals, seems to me.

I would say that the IT04 are more balanced and neutral, but not in a "boring" way ... they're a great lens on the music, which gets out of the way and lets you enjoy what you're hearing, without paying too much attention to the medium (the IT04 themselves). Some time ago, I ended up calling the IT04 very very very good jack-of-all-trades, with no obvious defects or defining characteristics which one can point at and say "they're that" (bass cannons/monster soundstage/whatever) - they do most everything very competently bordering on extremely well, without exaggerating/overemphasizing any one aspect at the price of something else, IMO (this also means that if one SHOULD be looking for some over emphasis on something -like a basshead- one would probably be disappointed).

I've not had the IMR R1 long (since last Monday:)), atm, and they're not yet out of burn in, so my impressions of them are quite preliminary. With that in mind, I would say that the IMR R1 are more colored, and you have lots more options to personalize them, especially towards more bass. I'm on the blue filters, which should be the most balanced filter (feels to me, at least - but I've not tried yet the copper and golden ones, which are the ones which are supposed to have even more bass), and with blue filters, the IMR R1 feels a bit more v-shaped, and more "fun", than the IT04. Have not yet spent enough time with them to see if they might prove fatiguing, longer term, though. Also, I would not say that they get out of the way... you can feel them, you can tell that you're using THEM, and that they're shaping what you're hearing (and I like the way they shape it - it's done in a very tasteful way, IMHO). They do have defining characteristics, looks to me, and the main ones would probably be great bass (which you can emphasize more and more) and great clarity, without sacrificing too much of anything else (with the blue filters, at least). But I would not call them "neutral".

Hope that makes some sort of sense :) . I like and enjoy both, tbh.... but they do different things (or the same thing -let you listen to music- in different ways:)).

Thank you, very appreciated your impressions, I also use blue filter with my r1

Aug 6, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #1,190 of 1,733
I've spent all day a/b'ing these with my Andromeda and my isine20 now that I have 250 hours on them.

I have to say these are by far the most tolerant of output conditions of the three. If that is important, or you don't like EQ, these are an obvious choice. I forgot how temperamental the isine20 is in particular. Yeesh. I thought the Andromeda could be picky...

Outside of the good staging/openness of the isine20 (honestly, open headphones sound unnatural to me, I much prefer IEMs), they really aren't that competitive with the it04 and Andromeda. Even carefully EQ'd they just don't have the same level of coherence and natural sound as the it04 and Andromeda, and they aren't as detailed or clear, and the planar bass is inferior to the DD and BA bass reproduction.

The Andromeda and it04 are a tale off two sound signatures Objectively, well, there's no objectively outside of one costing $500 versus $1100. Your decision between the two is purely subjective.

I prefer the Andromeda myself, but I realize it's 100% subjective. The it04 offer a laid back sound, great for mellow music, but lacking a bit of impact and dynamic range in comparison. The Andromeda are extremely vivid (if only they had a DD to add some bass impact) and aggressive sounding.

I will contradict what others have said. The Andromeda has a wider soundstage and more air. Separation is about the same, although the bass is more naturally separated on the it04 given the DD.

To me, with the it04 it's like you're dreaming the music. With the Andromeda, is like your sitting in the middle of the band.

To illustrate a few points, "sorry" by nothing but thieves and "so much to say" by Dave Matthews band show the dynamic range difference. "Sorry" is a very aggressive song that really demands good dynamic range or it falls flat. "So much to say", alternatively, sounds exaggerated on the Andromeda and much more to the intended style on the "less dynamic" it04.

If you add in"you don't get me high anymore" by phantogram, and a something like"favorite things" by Incubus, you have 4 songs that really show the difference between these two pairs. One is for mellow, relaxed listening, the other is for having the music kick you in the face.

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #1,191 of 1,733
Anyone have a recommendation for a cable that would pair well with the it04 to aid with stage expansion?
I hope you don't take offense to this but there isn't a cable that exists that will change the soundstage. I've used $20 cables and $400 cables and the only difference is subjectivity I want to like the $400 cable more but in reality there is no difference in the sound. Now the $20 cable may not last as long but that's in the connectors and who cares as I can buy 20 of them for the price of the $400 cable. So save yourself the cash and either get a new dap or new iem's if you want to change the sound signature . I just bought a $20 cable w mmcx and 4.4 connector. Nice cable in feel .mmcx connect nice to it04 and the 4.4 is nice too.

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #1,192 of 1,733
I hope you don't take offense to this but there isn't a cable that exists that will change the soundstage. I've used $20 cables and $400 cables and the only difference is subjectivity I want to like the $400 cable more but in reality there is no difference in the sound. Now the $20 cable may not last as long but that's in the connectors and who cares as I can buy 20 of them for the price of the $400 cable. So save yourself the cash and either get a new dap or new iem's if you want to change the sound signature . I just bought a $20 cable w mmcx and 4.4 connector. Nice cable in feel .mmcx connect nice to it04 and the 4.4 is nice too.
While I don't think a cable will dramatically change the sound, IMO, as the above statement is your opinion, I have heard and have cables that can and do improve on areas of the sound. Won't get into a cable discussion here except to say that I do hear differences in cables.

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #1,193 of 1,733
Had another lovely day with the IT04. There's no denying, it is rising in my affection, the more I listen to them.

The way they are shaped is problematic. I haven't had this much trial and error with fit and tips since my early days with IEMs. I've gotten to a good place with the MandarinEs Symbio W, medium on the Left, small on the Right. But there is still discomfort which can grow to a full pain after a few hours.

I don't like it when companies try and make their universals like customs. The shape is too elaborate and is bound to cause problems with varying ear dimensions. And there's no need to go down that road, not when a more simplistic design works best. I have my tia Fourté in right now, and they just go right in, giving me a perfect seal. No discomfort, even after a full day. It's got nothing to do with price. It's just a perfectly simple design.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #1,194 of 1,733
Had another lovely day with the IT04. There's no denying, it is rising in my affection, the more I listen to them.

The way they are shaped is problematic. I haven't had this much trial and error with fit and tips since my early days with IEMs. I've gotten to a good place with the MandarinEs Symbio W, medium on the Left, small on the Right. But there is still discomfort which can grow to a full pain after a few hours.

I don't like it when companies try and make their universals like customs. The shape is too elaborate and is bound to cause problems with varying ear dimensions. And there's no need to go down that road, not when a more simplistic design works best. I have my tia Fourté in right now, and they just go right in, giving me a perfect seal. No discomfort, even after a full day. It's got nothing to do with price. It's just a perfectly simple design.
I said the the same thing perhaps 1/100th less articulately.

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #1,195 of 1,733

What kind of discomfort are you experiencing, if I may ask? Me, after some time with them, I was feeling some almost pain in the front part of the pinna, where the narrowest part of the shell was pushing from inside on my ear. However, after a while (it took me a bit :)), I realized that it was my fault, actually, as it was I who was pressing them forward, thinking that would help with the seal and placement. When I started doing the opposite, pushing them in in such a way as to have the "fin" on the inner part of the IEM (the other protrusion apart from the nozzle) touch the corresponding part of the outer ear, they were properly seated, and now there's no discomfort/pain for me... Don't know if your case might be similar or totally different, ofc :) .

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #1,196 of 1,733
I use old bi-flange tips and I fit them very well, with IT04 ... astonishment.
I say that because I have not the same size on my left and right ear canal.
@ PinkyPowers : did you try these ?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #1,197 of 1,733
I use old bi-flange tips and I fit them very well, with IT04 ... astonishment.
I say that because I have not the same size on my left and right ear canal.
@ PinkyPowers : did you try these ?

Did I try your old bi-flange tips and stick them in my ears when you weren't looking? Why yes. Yes I did. :wink:

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #1,198 of 1,733
Any thoughts pairing IT04 with Penon Audio GS849 cable?

Hi @bahamot,

Not a whole lot of difference using IT 04 with GS 849, that cable works better with IT 01 in my personal &/or subjective humble opinion, I prefer the CB 13 with IT 04 as it offers slightly wider staging than stock cable CB 12.

Keep in mind, cable rolling doesn't change base sound signature, only tunes it, whether it is enough to notice is another story.

Hope you have a great day !

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #1,199 of 1,733
Anyone have a recommendation for a cable that would pair well with the it04 to aid with stage expansion?

Hi @Geared4me,

As is often said in the controversial world which is cable rolling, base sound signature doesn't change with cable rolling but cable rolling does 'tune' the sound, whether it is noticeable or not is a highly subjective & personal...

Eg, personally I like CB 13 with IT 04 over the stock CB 12 as I feel there is wider staging & slight lift in clarity but that's just me.

Just my humble opinion.

Hope you have a great day !

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #1,200 of 1,733
I find a big change in material (ex: copper -> pure silver), has the most noticeable and drastic change in sound if you want to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back