iBasso IT04 IEM, 4 Drivers. Enjoy the Music! Release: July 2, 2018
Aug 5, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #1,172 of 1,733
IT04 isn't the best in terms of bass quantity if you're a basshead. It really has a high quality to its bass, like the speed, which is really nice for metal and complex drum sets, but what you're looking for is probably Final Audio E5000 (?)

With a source that is "reference" yes. But yesterday I was using my IT04 with the HA-2se and bass boost on and if the track had the bass then the IT04 was easily able to vibrate my earlobes :) I've never experienced that with any IEM before. Does anybody need more bass than that I wonder. I haven't tried it but EQ could achieve the same effect as the bass boost on the HA-2se I would imagine.

Aug 5, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #1,174 of 1,733
I tried the IT04 today and compared to my angie. While the IT04 is a bit clearer and bigger soundstage, it sounds bit bright and dry to my taste. The bass is really good anyway, more bass and extended than on my angie at 1.30 o’clock bass. Will the brightness go away if i change the tips / cable?

Kinda shock what this iem can do at this price, punch above its asking price.

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #1,175 of 1,733
I tried the IT04 today and compared to my angie. While the IT04 is a bit clearer and bigger soundstage, it sounds bit bright and dry to my taste. The bass is really good anyway, more bass and extended than on my angie at 1.30 o’clock bass. Will the brightness go away if i change the tips / cable?

Yup, can confirm. Just slightly bright, and needs to be a little 'wet' and a touch warm in the mid-ranges. I couldn't get my Sony hybrids to work as they keep sliding off. Maybe you can try the small bore mandarins to take some of the edge off from the brightness?

I'm trying to get used to my mandarins. The material is harder than the Sony hybrids, I may need to move a size down.

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #1,176 of 1,733
"chai" is tea in Russian. I was just replying to someone from Moscow, figured it was appropriate :wink:
If i may, chai is derived from Chinese chá (茶) which was passed on to the Persians and then the Russians and Indians.

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #1,177 of 1,733
interestingly enough - the hiss was present even with 0 volume when I tried to start a song , literally any song . The hiss alone is present with 0 volume

That's not interesting. That's how hiss works. Volume has no effect on it. :wink:

Gain steps can and often will increase or decrease the hiss, but regular volume control doesn't.

In fact, when I'm testing a DAP to see how noisy it is, I hit play and turn the volume all the way to 0. If my super sensitive IEMs don't hiss, I know it's a good and quiet device.

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #1,178 of 1,733
I tried these a few days back and thought the spinfit tips were not the best match for these. These were big and glorious. Need the right tips IMO to get the full potential out of these.

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #1,180 of 1,733

If the IT04 sounds dry then it is either music or they aren't burned in IMO. I don't get a dry sound unless the recording is that way. My IT04 are well used so they have no burn in left. :slight_smile:

Aug 5, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #1,181 of 1,733
I tried these a few days back and thought the spinfit tips were not the best match for these. These were big and glorious. Need the right tips IMO to get the full potential out of these.

Tip selection is half about sound and half about comfort :)

I don't actually use Spinfit tips with IT04, just the stock tips they came with , I get excellent comfort and sound, didn't bother to tip roll, you know that saying, if it ain't broken, don't fix it :)

I’m lucky enough to get balanced sound and comfort with the small size of the stock tips.
:ksc75smile:

Same here, tho I think I am getting the best fit with mediums :)

If the IT04 sounds dry then it is either music or they aren't burned in IMO. I don't get a dry sound unless the recording is that way. My IT04 are well used so they have no burn in left. :slight_smile:

It isn't a bad thing for a sound to be on the dry side, it generally means quick, at least as far as those terms work out for Audio Mastering in general, making something more dry means quickening it, making textures more proeminent and bass more resolving instead of sounding large, which is not bad per se.

This being said, I agree with you in terms of IT04 not being very dry, they are fast, but textures are on the natural side of things for me.

I do think they are generally natural to bright, clearly not smooth nor relaxing, which is a good thing, they make excellent partners for exciting and active music :)

Aug 5, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #1,182 of 1,733
With a source that is "reference" yes. But yesterday I was using my IT04 with the HA-2se and bass boost on and if the track had the bass then the IT04 was easily able to vibrate my earlobes :) I've never experienced that with any IEM before. Does anybody need more bass than that I wonder. I haven't tried it but EQ could achieve the same effect as the bass boost on the HA-2se I would imagine.

Oh yes, this means that they can reach very low, especially if there is source material for them , the driver is very capable of pulling incredibly strong and deep bass, and with some EQ one can get good satisfaction, I was more likely talking about their default signature, which is something one needs to consider if they don't like EQ.

Yup, can confirm. Just slightly bright, and needs to be a little 'wet' and a touch warm in the mid-ranges. I couldn't get my Sony hybrids to work as they keep sliding off. Maybe you can try the small bore mandarins to take some of the edge off from the brightness?

I'm trying to get used to my mandarins. The material is harder than the Sony hybrids, I may need to move a size down.

Mandarins can be a little hard for sure. Most foamies can have a smoothing effect on the sound if you prefer a smoother treble :)

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #1,184 of 1,733
How do compare these with the IMR R1?

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #1,185 of 1,733
How do compare these with the IMR R1?
Sort of different animals, seems to me.

I would say that the IT04 are more balanced and neutral, but not in a "boring" way ... they're a great lens on the music, which gets out of the way and lets you enjoy what you're hearing, without paying too much attention to the medium (the IT04 themselves). Some time ago, I ended up calling the IT04 very very very good jack-of-all-trades, with no obvious defects or defining characteristics which one can point at and say "they're that" (bass cannons/monster soundstage/whatever) - they do most everything very competently bordering on extremely well, without exaggerating/overemphasizing any one aspect at the price of something else, IMO (this also means that if one SHOULD be looking for some over emphasis on something -like a basshead- one would probably be disappointed).

I've not had the IMR R1 long (since last Monday:)), atm, and they're not yet out of burn in, so my impressions of them are quite preliminary. With that in mind, I would say that the IMR R1 are more colored, and you have lots more options to personalize them, especially towards more bass. I'm on the blue filters, which should be the most balanced filter (feels to me, at least - but I've not tried yet the copper and golden ones, which are the ones which are supposed to have even more bass), and with blue filters, the IMR R1 feels a bit more v-shaped, and more "fun", than the IT04. Have not yet spent enough time with them to see if they might prove fatiguing, longer term, though. Also, I would not say that they get out of the way... you can feel them, you can tell that you're using THEM, and that they're shaping what you're hearing (and I like the way they shape it - it's done in a very tasteful way, IMHO). They do have defining characteristics, looks to me, and the main ones would probably be great bass (which you can emphasize more and more) and great clarity, without sacrificing too much of anything else (with the blue filters, at least). But I would not call them "neutral".

Hope that makes some sort of sense :) . I like and enjoy both, tbh.... but they do different things (or the same thing -let you listen to music- in different ways:)).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back