iBasso IT04 IEM, 4 Drivers. Enjoy the Music! Release: July 2, 2018
Jul 21, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #976 of 1,733
hi, "but you can feel the instrument pumping your throat and chest more on the Phantom's; less so on the A6t. I can then conclude that the Phantom has greater bass extension than the A6t"
pumping your throat more doesn't mean better extention, that means more quantity at the required frequency where the tone of the instrument is
i think i lot of people on this forum have no idea what is that - bass extension
bass extension is the ability of a headphones to output low bass, if a headphone has no roll off at all in the sub bass and it can go as low as 20hz without losing energy there, that is a great bass extension
if it rolls off under 50 hz for example and it is at minus 5db at 20 hz that is good but not great bass extension
now if a headphone has no roll of at the bass, and another one has no roll of at the bass but the second one "has more pop" in the sub bass area, it doesn't mean that the second one has "better" bass extension, it means that the second one has probably more energy in the low bass area, or better dynamic range

Jul 21, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #977 of 1,733
hi, "but you can feel the instrument pumping your throat and chest more on the Phantom's; less so on the A6t. I can then conclude that the Phantom has greater bass extension than the A6t"
pumping your throat more doesn't mean better extention, that means more quantity at the required frequency where the tone of the instrument is
i think i lot of people on this forum have no idea what is that - bass extension
bass extension is the ability of a headphones to output low bass, if a headphone has no roll off at all in the sub bass and it can go as low as 20hz without losing energy there, that is a great bass extension
if it rolls off under 50 hz for example and it is at minus 5db at 20 hz that is good but not great bass extension
now if a headphone has no roll of at the bass, and another one has no roll of at the bass but the second one "has more pop" in the sub bass area, it doesn't mean that the second one has "better" bass extension, it means that the second one has probably more energy in the low bass area, or better dynamic range

Exactly, extension refers to, literally, how low it will "extend" in terms of frequency. Which shouldn't be confused with bass impact which is how hard it hits, referring to the amplitude rather than extension. And also need to keep in mind that you can have a deep extension but due to a roll off, the impact will be attenuated, so you can have the extension down to a nice sub-bass rumble, but overall bass will be on a leaner side.

For the reference, here is an excellent chart which I personally use to describe the sound in all my reviews.

FreqChart.JPG

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #978 of 1,733
I have a set of tracks which I use for a long time to test audio equipment. I've got my IT04 a couple of days before, already listened a bit and burned in for around 40 hours. Today I tried bundled tips, to find out that a pair of them, thanks to longer nozzles, performs better than SpinFit CP100S that I used before with IT03, and sits tighter both on nozzles and in ears. This way a test of tips transformed to listening of all the test tracks!

The portable system that now I have, has passed all the tests at the highest level possible, very first time ever. It was so involving and relaxing, almost 2.5 hours of experience that couldn't imagine before. I even didn't a smoke break, while I usually smoke around 30 cigarettes per day.

This experience includes not only any shapes of sound quality, but also comfort from IEMs. Along with convenience in my usual everyday use, it makes end game setup for me :) It's unbelievable how one small company could succeed in all: DAP+IEM+cable!

I feel sorry that almost nobody could share such an experience!
DX200CuAu-IT04.jpg

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #979 of 1,733
Has anyone compared the IT04 to Noble Sage? How wound they compare at this price point or do most feel the IT04 are playing against some of the more pricier IEM out the like the andromeda?

Jul 21, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #980 of 1,733
I have a set of tracks which I use for a long time to test audio equipment. I've got my IT04 a couple of days before, already listened a bit and burned in for around 40 hours. Today I tried bundled tips, to find out that a pair of them, thanks to longer nozzles, performs better than SpinFit CP100S that I used before with IT03, and sits tighter both on nozzles and in ears. This way a test of tips transformed to listening of all the test tracks!

The portable system that now I have, has passed all the tests at the highest level possible, very first time ever. It was so involving and relaxing, almost 2.5 hours of experience that couldn't imagine before. I even didn't a smoke break, while I usually smoke around 30 cigarettes per day.

This experience includes not only any shapes of sound quality, but also comfort from IEMs. Along with convenience in my usual everyday use, it makes end game setup for me :) It's unbelievable how one small company could succeed in all: DAP+IEM+cable!

I feel sorry that almost nobody could share such an experience!
Is that the infamous copper DX200?

One thing I wished ibasso had done was offer different finish/color for the DX200.

I like all black or even steel finish :frowning2:

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #982 of 1,733
If anybody is having trouble with the fit of the IT04, try different brands of tips, and even different sizes.

My go-to tips are the JVC Spiral Dots size M. But they were not working well for the IT04. They were being crushed, and slowly expanding, and forcing the IEMs out. That's really odd for those tips and my ears.

Right now, I'm using MandarinEs SymbioW size Small. This size rarely fits me with the IEMs I've tired, but IT04 inserts deep, and stretches them out enough, that I'm experiencing great fit with this match. And OUTSTANDING SOUND. :wink:

Jul 21, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #984 of 1,733
If anybody is having trouble with the fit of the IT04, try different brands of tips, and even different sizes.

My go-to tips are the JVC Spiral Dots size M. But they were not working well for the IT04. They were being crushed, and slowly expanding, and forcing the IEMs out. That's really odd for those tips and my ears.

Right now, I'm using MandarinEs SymbioW size Small. This size rarely fits me with the IEMs I've tired, but IT04 inserts deep, and stretches them out enough, that I'm experiencing great fit with this match. And OUTSTANDING SOUND. :wink:

Interesting that this came up today. Normally the SymbioW in Medium work for me but on the IT04 I can't use them at all. They're just painful and also ended up pushing the IEMs out. Last time I ordered I got several in each size so I'll try the Small. Normally they're too small for me but perhaps they'll work. So far I've been really pleased with the stock tips. I haven't even spent any time with the Spiral Dots or the SpinFits yet.

Jul 21, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #985 of 1,733
Is there a big differennce with the NiceHCK hk6 ?

Jul 21, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #986 of 1,733
Is there a big differennce with the NiceHCK hk6 ?

Different tunings but if your looking for a more reference type balance and tuning I can say the IT04 is this. Wider stage. Better instrument separation. Better precision imaging and clarity. Better more refined treble. Bass extension on the IT04 is outstanding. The weakest part of the HK6 is the sub bass. No such weakness on the IT04.

The IT04 represents a substantial upgrade over the HK6. And this is from the guy that introduced the HK6 to this community. I love my HK6 it has a coloration that is very engaging but the IT04 is at a completely different level of sound vs them.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #987 of 1,733
Thanks a lot.
So IT04 wins :) ... Except for the price :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #988 of 1,733
The price is always a factor. However not only are the IT04 a nice upgrade on the sonics of the HK6 but I like them over my semi custom DZ12 as well. Which is a direct upgrade on the HK6. You might get a good idea of the value your getting here.

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #989 of 1,733
Still waiting on a good comparison of the IT04 vs. this N5005.

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #990 of 1,733
Still waiting on a good comparison of the IT04 vs. this N5005.

Very difficult to compare for me due to their very different presentation of the sound.

IT04 hits you quite hard in regards to bass response, it's full and very detailed and you know it's there, however it's not a basshead sound, it's just alive and full of itself. The N5005 is also very detailed and when required will leave you in no doubt of it's presence however it doesn't quite hit so hard, its a bit more subtle. I wouldn't say it's inferior in it's response just different.

The mids and highs on the N5005 are very detailed and very smooth. The separation is second to none between instruments, you could almost place in different parts of the room where the sound may be coming from. Vocals maybe just maybe sit a little out front at times on certain tracks and they are very smooth, almost velvet like. The IT04 are also very detailed in the same departments but maybe not quite as detailed in their separation. What they lack however they more than make up for with their overall level of detail, guitars, cymbals, snare and other instruments that can grate on other iem's are reproduced effortlessly on the IT04.

To be honest both of these earphones at the price they retail for are absolute bargains. They both surpass iem's that are double their price. Both companies have created excellent iem's worthy of their price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back