iBasso IT01 a fun IEM. Single multilayered graphene driver. !! 99 USD !!
May 17, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #2,086 of 3,079
I havent heard anything by niceHCK, so to follow up, what sound signature are you looking for? bright? dark? bassy, vocals, neutral, etc. Like, what is your favorite genre and/or favorite part of the music to listen to basically
I'm ignorant with regards to technical answers so I'll avoid performance range - use case is 100% portable use with a DAP and main IEMs now are a 3BA NiceHCK Japanese model (DT300).

Was contemplating getting the Rose Mini 2 but realized I'd rather try a DD or Hybrid to compliment what I use now rather than another BA-only pair. Rose Aurora, Vsonic GR07 and the IT01 are what I was considering. A used pair of Sony XBA-N3 was also a consideration but that's like double the price so would rather not.

May 17, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #2,087 of 3,079
I havent heard anything by niceHCK, so to follow up, what sound signature are you looking for? bright? dark? bassy, vocals, neutral, etc. Like, what is your favorite genre and/or favorite part of the music to listen to basically
A lot of assorted dj sets and hip hop mainly. Nothing too bright and typically not vocal heavy, but not looking for bass overload either. Honestly just looking for a signature that's different to my current 3BA one. I think I listen to enough varied music that I'll enjoy one pair more for certain music and another pair for others. I suppose all this is difficult without direct comparisons and I'm just making assumptions, but I don't think I'll be disappointed with the IT01 regardless (unless it sounds extremely similar, which is probably unlikely)

May 17, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #2,088 of 3,079
For reference, Check out my profile to see what headphones/iems im coming from:

I own the IT03 and i honestly cannot recommend that one enough, and it has really great sub-bass (like a subwoofer in your car) and airy highs that are PERFECT for edm, although it is a bit out of your price range. For 100 dollars, I hope the IT01 can live up to its big brother and seems like a safe bet. I love what ibasso is doing and my IT03 is my favorite IEM to use at work.

Otherwise:
The collaboration of Shozy x AAW in the Hibiki Special Edition is a single dynamic that has been making waves and looks beautiful to boot for ~120. I am planning on grabbing a set once i can budget for it. (i just bought the Empire Ears Zeus R so im in the hole a significant chunk of cash :p)
For only 18 dollars , the KZ ZST (single dd and single BA) is one of my favorite iems because it has a nice relaxed vshape sound and fantastic soundstage. i use it probably the most out of all my headphones since its so cheap i dont care about keeping it in the heat of my car, and they amaze me every time. almost all of the audio stuff i own cost more than the ZST. honestly you should just get whatever else + the ZST LOL.
I havent heard the GR07 but lots of people recommend it, including a great review of it by lachlanlikesathing, though it is an older model. If you go for that one make sure you get the "classic" version I hear that ones the best.
The RHA CL1 is REALLY great and has a ceramic driver for a bit over your price range if you can find it. Amazon doesnt have it in stock. Really under rated.
The Pinnacle P1 is a fantastic iem that you can get on the classifieds for much cheaper than buying it new and has a decent sized following
The Fiio F9 pro is exactly 100 dollasr and from when i listened to them at canjam they were pretty good,
The TFZ King and King Pro have a really bombastic sound thats perfect for hip hop and electronic music and come greatly reviewed.
The Shure se215 is a classic with relaxed and warm sound signature and for a long time was the "iem to beat" at around 100 dollars before all the chi-fi stuff hit the scene. I hate the cable though. super thick and unflexible. I would replace the cable immediately. It sounds great with a Campfire Audio SPC Litz cable.
Fidue A83 Dual BA + dynamic driver comes VERY highly reviewed and is an older model so the prices for it have dropped. Used to be around 250-280 new, i think i saw it for 150.

Honorable mentions if you dont mind chi-fi:
magaosi k3
kinera seed, REALLY beautiful with a gorgeous cable.
simgot en700
KZ zs5 (zs6 has sibilance issues)

Lastly, i would recommend you check out Twister6's reviews on this forum. He reviews a ton of iems. also i havent even mentioned anything by Dunu (who caught on to the hybrid game early) and

Goodluck!

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #2,089 of 3,079
forgot to quote you.
A lot of assorted dj sets and hip hop mainly. Nothing too bright and typically not vocal heavy, but not looking for bass overload either. Honestly just looking for a signature that's different to my current 3BA one. I think I listen to enough varied music that I'll enjoy one pair more for certain music and another pair for others. I suppose all this is difficult without direct comparisons and I'm just making assumptions, but I don't think I'll be disappointed with the IT01 regardless (unless it sounds extremely similar, which is probably unlikely)

May 17, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #2,090 of 3,079
As someone mainly using multi-BA IEMs and looking for either a DD or hybrid in the under $100 range, is this the best option? Praise is almost universal but wondering if there's an alternative I'm ignoring.
GR07 BE if you prefer a neutral sound. IT01 if you want a more V-shaped shaped sound signature. You can't go wrong with either.

May 17, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #2,091 of 3,079
For reference, Check out my profile to see what headphones/iems im coming from:

I own the IT03 and i honestly cannot recommend that one enough, and it has really great sub-bass (like a subwoofer in your car) and airy highs that are PERFECT for edm, although it is a bit out of your price range. For 100 dollars, I hope the IT01 can live up to its big brother and seems like a safe bet. I love what ibasso is doing and my IT03 is my favorite IEM to use at work.

Otherwise:
The collaboration of Shozy x AAW in the Hibiki Special Edition is a single dynamic that has been making waves and looks beautiful to boot for ~120. I am planning on grabbing a set once i can budget for it. (i just bought the Empire Ears Zeus R so im in the hole a significant chunk of cash :p)
For only 18 dollars , the KZ ZST (single dd and single BA) is one of my favorite iems because it has a nice relaxed vshape sound and fantastic soundstage. i use it probably the most out of all my headphones since its so cheap i dont care about keeping it in the heat of my car, and they amaze me every time. almost all of the audio stuff i own cost more than the ZST. honestly you should just get whatever else + the ZST LOL.
I havent heard the GR07 but lots of people recommend it, including a great review of it by lachlanlikesathing, though it is an older model. If you go for that one make sure you get the "classic" version I hear that ones the best.
The RHA CL1 is REALLY great and has a ceramic driver for a bit over your price range if you can find it. Amazon doesnt have it in stock. Really under rated.
The Pinnacle P1 is a fantastic iem that you can get on the classifieds for much cheaper than buying it new and has a decent sized following
The Fiio F9 pro is exactly 100 dollasr and from when i listened to them at canjam they were pretty good,
The TFZ King and King Pro have a really bombastic sound thats perfect for hip hop and electronic music and come greatly reviewed.
The Shure se215 is a classic with relaxed and warm sound signature and for a long time was the "iem to beat" at around 100 dollars before all the chi-fi stuff hit the scene. I hate the cable though. super thick and unflexible. I would replace the cable immediately. It sounds great with a Campfire Audio SPC Litz cable.
Fidue A83 Dual BA + dynamic driver comes VERY highly reviewed and is an older model so the prices for it have dropped. Used to be around 250-280 new, i think i saw it for 150.

Honorable mentions if you dont mind chi-fi:
magaosi k3
kinera seed, REALLY beautiful with a gorgeous cable.
simgot en700
KZ zs5 (zs6 has sibilance issues)

Lastly, i would recommend you check out Twister6's reviews on this forum. He reviews a ton of iems. also i havent even mentioned anything by Dunu (who caught on to the hybrid game early) and

Goodluck!

Thanks for all the recs. It's posts like this that make me realize how saturated the market is! I'll try to hear the TFZ and en700 in store. I think I saw both available to demo at e-earphone. Hibiki special edition seems nice as well, will see if I can find that used here. Didn't try the F9 but demoed the FH1 in store and wasn't really impressed despite being pretty interested in it when it launched.

All that said, the IT01 might still be what I go with unless one of the demos is impressive. Lots of great choices so I'll just have to make one! Well maybe two - but not the ZST. Have been hearing good things about the new ES4 so might go with that lol.

GR07 BE if you prefer a neutral sound. IT01 if you want a more V-shaped shaped sound signature. You can't go wrong with either.
Thanks as well. Might just be anecdotal but I've seen a lot of negatives regarding GR07 build quality so that's maybe another reason to go for the IT01.

May 17, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #2,092 of 3,079
Thanks for all the recs. It's posts like this that make me realize how saturated the market is! I'll try to hear the TFZ and en700 in store. I think I saw both available to demo at e-earphone.
Just give the King Pros a try! Also do e-earphone have any information regarding TFZ Secret Garden. If the King Pros are not your cup of tea then you could get the IT01s.

May 17, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #2,093 of 3,079
Just give the King Pros a try! Also do e-earphone have any information regarding TFZ Secret Garden. If the King Pros are not your cup of tea then you could get the IT01s.
The unused price of the King Pro is a bit more than I want to spend but they might have a used pair I'd buy. And the Secret Gardens are those multi-BA models right? Don't think I've seen anything about them really.

May 17, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #2,094 of 3,079
The unused price of the King Pro is a bit more than I want to spend but they might have a used pair I'd buy. And the Secret Gardens are those multi-BA models right? Don't think I've seen anything about them really.
Thanks for the reply. Indeed they are the multi BA ones. I hope you find what you like at the end of the day. Not much beats the IT01s for the price IMO.

May 18, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #2,095 of 3,079
The IT01 are incredible for $99 when cable, fit, isolation, sub-bass, bass, and aesthetics considered.

May 18, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #2,096 of 3,079
the a73 is warmer and to my ears has a little more natural, analog-sounding tonality

Can you think of one or two steps up from the A73 , also warm, analog-sounding but not so fatiguing. Maybe a llttle less bass, more clarity and stage? Testet the Pinnacle P1 and didnt like it at all. Somewhat cold and grainy, difficukt to drive, but great soundstage.

May 18, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #2,097 of 3,079
Can you think of one or two steps up from the A73 , also warm, analog-sounding but not so fatiguing. Maybe a llttle less bass, more clarity and stage? Testet the Pinnacle P1 and didnt like it at all. Somewhat cold and grainy, difficukt to drive, but great soundstage.
the current rave is the nicehck hk6 (10ba), which you can get for around $200 with headfi discount (look at dsnut's the discovery! thread); the ultimate ears ue900s (which are going for cheap used) and the rhythmos sd7 would would be others in your criteria. i've also heard great things about the HiFi Boy OS v3 but haven't heard 'em myself.

May 18, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #2,098 of 3,079
I've never really been a believer in expensive cables. I really wanted to see how much of a difference the IT01's are compared to SE215's. I didn't expect it to be so close once I switched cables.
The IT01's are a little easier to drive so I had to balance it towards the SE215's. The midrange is a little more pronounced on the Shures and the bass is a little wider on the iBasso's. Treble is actually very similar. The lack of Treble on the 215's appear to be based on the cable, because with the iBasso cable they really come to life.

Again, I need another iBasso cable. I honestly can't believe how different they sound with this cable.

As you can see from the pictures the Shure's tuck better into the ear which is great for laying down or bedtime. You also don't get cone flex. The Shure's also block ambient sound a little better.

iBasso has a richer sound stage especially considering the quality of cable that it comes with. (With the SE846 cable the iBasso's seem to be missing some Treble just like the 215's).

I really wish I still had the 846's. I'd love to hear them with these cables.
Well, iBasso cable was made to smoothen out iBasso signature and CSD. Tried with other iem and they turn smooth and rolled of. Brainwavz b400 rolled of. It just goes well with Tesla driven phones.

I tried linum SuperBaX balanced on iBasso it01 and they sounded sharp and sometimes sibilant. But resolution increases and bass and mid became tighter and more linear.

I stole my friend's pwaudio no.5 copper to test on iBasso, and as marketed by pwaudio, the cable is not neutral by smooth(I liked pwaudio for no snake oil, just sound characteristics shift).

It sounded like iBasso normal cabke, but more linear, balanced and holographic.

So my recommendation is to go with copper litz cable with iBasso it01

May 19, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #2,099 of 3,079
I have my 01 paired with Ref. 8, the sound is much richer and Bass is more solid, definitely brings out the best comparing to lab II, source is an 10 yrs old Kenwood MGR-A7, not sure which brings which to life, but really enjoyable listening

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back