Ibasso DX90 - which headphones do you prefer to use with DX90?
Nov 10, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #46 of 127
I use the Dunu DN-1000 IEMs everyday with my DX90, and I think it sounds wonderful.

Nov 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #48 of 127
Thanks Pasopati, you had the chance to test this yourself? I am quite positive after reviews about it. Just that there aren't a set here in sg that i can test it for myself.

Just offering my 2 cents here. Opinion only, so I can't provide "proof", but I'm just a listener, and say what sounds good to me. Charts, specs, graphs, and the like just go over my head.

My best iems are old UE Super.Fi3s and a pair of original-style VMODA Bass-Freqs, but with either, the DX90 more than offers enough power on even the LOW Gain setting. I have a FIIO e17amp/DAC, which when used as AMP-only, I would think is similar to the e12a, but I really can't imagine a reason to use it with iems on the DX90. The DX90's internal amp is more than capable and very quiet to my ears. The FIIO is just overkill for it. Now for my original-generation iPad, the FIIO makes a difference, and slightly less-so with my iPad Air and iPhone 4s or 5, but still better than the Apple units alone. Now the iFi iDSD Micro I use with my DX90 because it adds more than just power. It adds spaciousness, separates the instruments a bit better, and to my ears adds just a little bit more detail over the DX90 alone. But I primarily listen to Koss Porta Pros with modded ear pads (most underrated headphone EVER in my view!) or my Sennheiser HD-650 phones when I use it with the DX90. (Yes, the iDSD Micro puts out THAT much power! Not only does it drive the HD-650s, but it makes them sound GOOD. Just shy of how they sound through the ASGARD 2 dedicated desktop amp!)

So, I'd skip the FIIO if I had it to do over again, and save up some extra for at least the iDSD Nano (~$180 USD) if not, then iDSD Micro. Why pay twice when you are just going to question if you could have gotten better sound if you had just waited a little and paid more, and best of all, only paid once? That said, if being responsible to your budget constraints means getting an $80 FIIO instead of a $180 iFi iDSD Nano, then I can vouch for the e17 being a very capable portable DAC/amp unit that I don't hesitate to match to my Apple mobile devices or old-style MP3 players when I'm not carrying around the DX90. (i.e. I can leave the FIIO with an old MP3 player in my glove box so I always have music with me when I go out, and not worry too much about hundreds of dollars of equipment "just sitting" in my garage overnight.) :wink:

Best of luck going forward!

Ken N.:wink:

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #49 of 127
For me, mostly modded PortaPro or KSC75 for on-ears and FitEar Parterre for IEM.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #50 of 127
Just offering my 2 cents here. Opinion only, so I can't provide "proof", but I'm just a listener, and say what sounds good to me. Charts, specs, graphs, and the like just go over my head.

My best iems are old UE Super.Fi3s and a pair of original-style VMODA Bass-Freqs, but with either, the DX90 more than offers enough power on even the LOW Gain setting. I have a FIIO e17amp/DAC, which when used as AMP-only, I would think is similar to the e12a, but I really can't imagine a reason to use it with iems on the DX90. The DX90's internal amp is more than capable and very quiet to my ears. The FIIO is just overkill for it. Now for my original-generation iPad, the FIIO makes a difference, and slightly less-so with my iPad Air and iPhone 4s or 5, but still better than the Apple units alone. Now the iFi iDSD Micro I use with my DX90 because it adds more than just power. It adds spaciousness, separates the instruments a bit better, and to my ears adds just a little bit more detail over the DX90 alone. But I primarily listen to Koss Porta Pros with modded ear pads (most underrated headphone EVER in my view!) or my Sennheiser HD-650 phones when I use it with the DX90. (Yes, the iDSD Micro puts out THAT much power! Not only does it drive the HD-650s, but it makes them sound GOOD. Just shy of how they sound through the ASGARD 2 dedicated desktop amp!)

So, I'd skip the FIIO if I had it to do over again, and save up some extra for at least the iDSD Nano (~$180 USD) if not, then iDSD Micro. Why pay twice when you are just going to question if you could have gotten better sound if you had just waited a little and paid more, and best of all, only paid once? That said, if being responsible to your budget constraints means getting an $80 FIIO instead of a $180 iFi iDSD Nano, then I can vouch for the e17 being a very capable portable DAC/amp unit that I don't hesitate to match to my Apple mobile devices or old-style MP3 players when I'm not carrying around the DX90. (i.e. I can leave the FIIO with an old MP3 player in my glove box so I always have music with me when I go out, and not worry too much about hundreds of dollars of equipment "just sitting" in my garage overnight.)
wink.gif

Best of luck going forward!

Ken N.
wink.gif

Yes, i totally agreed with you that just with DX90 alone is already an amazing piece of invention. Somehow i can hear details more when volume level hits above 200-220, and I've heard about to hear it at 255 is probably gonna unleash more details. So was venturing to hunt for a compatible external amp that can allow me hear it out at its maximum level. THat's all. But you've made a point that it might be overkilling, i'll be aware of it. I am not an audiophile but just dont want to be missing anything that the set can give. Thanks for the pointer.

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #51 of 127
I am pairing my DX90 with Shure SE535. It already sounds fantastic, Still, I am looking for an amp stack so that i can test out at full volume 255. I am missing sth i am sure at the lower volume range.
Should you come across any comparable amp pls highlight, thanks.

The new iBasso D-Zero Mk2 pairs very nicely soundwise and is about a perfect match sizewise for the DX-90. It is only about .4" thick so makes a very tidy carry package.

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #53 of 127
Besides the Yamaha 100's, can anybody recommend any other earphones for the DX90?

Looking for the best detail and clearest sound. Will be used for gym workouts and airplane travel.

Thanks

ER4PT is still an excellent choice as they offer great sound when paired with the DX90 plus about the best isolation of any universal IEM.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #54 of 127
Besides the Yamaha 100's, can anybody recommend any other earphones for the DX90?

Looking for the best detail and clearest sound. Will be used for gym workouts and airplane travel.

Thanks

Hi!

I may be the minority, but I feel that the Koss Porta Pros are great headphones sound quality and detail-wise. The Sporta Pros are supposed to sound just as good, and are supposed to be more workout-friendly. I own the Porta Pros and enjoy them as a third place headphone solution to my Sennheiser HD-650s and RS-180s respectively.

Difference being that if the Porta Pros are lost or broken, I can replace them many times over before I start the approach the cost of either of the Sennheisers....

Ken N.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #55 of 127
Hi!

I may be the minority, but I feel that the Koss Porta Pros are great headphones sound quality and detail-wise. The Sporta Pros are supposed to sound just as good, and are supposed to be more workout-friendly. I own the Porta Pros and enjoy them as a third place headphone solution to my Sennheiser HD-650s and RS-180s respectively.

Difference being that if the Porta Pros are lost or broken, I can replace them many times over before I start the approach the cost of either of the Sennheisers....

Ken N.

I don't think you are alone. I have tried the Porta Pros from different shops and I consistently get the same SQ from DX90. I am getting one for myself. It just goes to show quality doesn't always reflect on the price. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #57 of 127
While I do use the PortaPro a lot, I prefer the KSC-35. It is very similar to the PP but comes with ear clips like the KSC-75. I replace those with a very narrow headband for comfort and add my own mods and pads.

Dr Xin (of the Xin amplifier fame) always recommended the KSC-35 and used them to tune all of his amps.

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #58 of 127
Anyone got the DX90 and GO1000 ? I wonder how they compare being both based around ES9018M? It's a crapshoot whether GO1000 will work off Android for mobile usage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back