Ibasso DX90 - which headphones do you prefer to use with DX90?
Oct 1, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #31 of 127
  Sure, though what would you change after? an amp (portable?) in between or another source entirely? I just want something that's portable enough to move around the house fairly easily...Will probably get some IEM's as well for out and about.

knorris908 point about the portas is good - I'm presuming the harder to drive phones will be quite a bit heavier on the battery....

iBASSO PB2 portable amp (LME49990 4x Opamp / dummy buffer kit) transportable stack

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #32 of 127
Can anybody recommend a good over-the ear closed back headphone for the DX90?  I would be looking for something that outshines the V-Moda M80, which already sounds good on most recordings with the DX90.

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #33 of 127
Can anybody recommend a good over-the ear closed back headphone for the DX90?  I would be looking for something that outshines the V-Moda M80, which already sounds good on most recordings with the DX90.

I just pointed another member towards the Sennheiser URBANITE on-ears. They reviewed well and supposedly have almost NO sound leak so you get total isolation from the surroundings, and your neighbors don't get force-fed your musical preferences. :wink:

Sennheiser also has an URBANITE XL I believe that is over ear, which might be worth a listen as well. All my personal favorite headphones are open-backs save for my "knock-around" Bluetooth headphones. (Photive PH-BTX6) which I like a lot, but are definitely NOT audiophile grade.(One word: BASS!) Just comfy, isolated ear cups, fun to listen to, and the convenience of good Bluetooth implementation. There are MUCH better ones out there, but I could buy a gross of these for the cost of replacing one of those others, and I work in hospitals, so sometimes things "grow legs".... :rolleyes:

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #35 of 127
Some pairs that I have used with DX90.

Koss PortaPro - DX90: PortaPro shines unexpectedly.
ATH ESW9 - DX90: Excellent combo!
Sennheiser IE800 - DX90: Bad combination. Due to flat signature, DX90 degrades quality and excellence of IE800 mostly in all departments.

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #36 of 127

Sennheiser IE800 - DX90: Bad combination. Due to flat signature, DX90 degrades quality and excellence of IE800 mostly in all departments.

I have used the portapros the ATH ESW10 jpn with great success. I have never used the IE800 but have read the opposite response in threads. I wonder what the difference was/is?

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #37 of 127
DX90 and JH13 Pros have replaced all of my other portable audio gears.
On low gain, my friend was very impressed by how quiet (no noise floor) the DX90 is using his JHA Roxannes.

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #39 of 127
I just got a used pair of Mad Dog headphones with Alpha Pads for my DX90 when I traveling - I am getting pretty addicted to the sound.  At first, I thought the DX90 may not have the power, but as it has settled in (or my brain has settled into the combo), I am finding it just right on high gain.

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #40 of 127
And, actually, when I realized that I had been using the EQ and turned it off, there suddenly was even more headroom for the Mad Dog headphones.  This will definitely be my pairing for long flights.

Nov 4, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #41 of 127

Oh, i am so glad i read this before the weekend. I got a good deal for the IE800 (and planning to purchase this coming weekend) and was thinking of pairing it with my dx90. 

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #42 of 127
I am pairing my DX90 with Shure SE535. It already sounds fantastic, Still, I am looking for an amp stack so that i can test out at full volume 255. I am missing sth i am sure at the lower volume range.
Should you come across any comparable amp pls highlight, thanks.

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #45 of 127
I like my JH Roxanne with the Ibasso DX90 its a match made in heaven..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back