iBasso DX90 Hibino upgrade version coming July 18. . .
Jun 28, 2014 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Dopaminer

Member of the Trade: Audio Dopamine
DX90 Hibino version coming July 18. . .   

Not sure if this is on anyone`s radar yet :::

http://www.hibino-intersound.co.jp/information/4057.html

I have really been enjoying my dx50 and I had pretty much decided to get the dx90.  Then the X5 started looking really good, and that Hidizs AP100, too.  

THEN, I stumble into the Portable Audio show in Tokyo today and there, among all the usual suspects, I find the Hibino table. And he`s got two of their own DX90s for listening....   I have their pimped out iBasso D-zero SE tiny DAC/Amp which despite a slight channel imbalance sounds awesome.  And I`ve heard lots of good things about their version of the dx100; the r10 I think it is called...  
So I am super stoked about their DX90.  The guy at the booth told me they`re reworking the soldering (7x the silver content, according to the webpage above) and he made lots of vague references to how they have improved the sound and build quality.  I couldn`t quite understand what he said about the actual construction/assembly - he either said it would be made in a special production line, or in a different factory.  Either way, the webpage talks about ISO -certified construction.  

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 19
This could be very good - a more polished version of the DX90 for well under $1K (probably closer to $500-$600). Subbed.

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 19
Only difference I see is more silver content in the solder. This only comes into play at contact points as the tracks will be insulated copper. I'm not saying that it's not audible but anything over $100 more (for setting up a run etc) seems a lot for a  $1 of solder. Perhaps there are other tweaks as well.

Jun 29, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 19
He did stress that the units would be built separately from the regular DX90s, with (implied) better quality control.  The price may list at 54,000 yen (over US$500) but street prices in Japan are almost always below list; sometimes far below list.  E-earphone had stacks of AK120ii for 160,000yen, which is less than Ebay. Anyway, I am pretty sure I`m going to pick one up.  I can post my impressions, but I don`t have a regular DX90 to compare.  I hope some of the other Japan-based members will do an A/B . . . . 

Jun 29, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 19
I mentioned about the DX90k in the main DX90 thread too.

I'm glad you understood enough Japanese from Hibino folks. All I picked up from him was that there were 2 differences and the 2nd one being more silver content in the solder (which I mentioned in the DX90 thread) but my Japanese was too poor to pick up the 1st difference - which you've kindly mentioned that it's separately built.

I actually had @shigzeo's DX90 in my pocket when I was sitting at the Hibino desk but was reluctant to whip it out; besides I wasn't familiar with shigzeo's music and the sample DX90j had different tracks too. Listening to both separately 30 mins apart though, I coudn't detect any obvious differences betweeen the two but again I'd stress that since I'm unfamiliar with both available tracks and not comparing side-by-side, it's hard to say if the extra $120 difference between the two makes a difference or not.

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 19
Eventually somebody will A/B them...will wait and see what the deal is.

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 19
I didn`t bother to listen to the DX90J either, because those shows are so noisy and I`ve never heard the DX90 before.  

I just want to get a DX90, so this seems like the logical choice, even if it is more expensive.  If Yodobashi or Bic Camera sell it, I`ll get 10% back in points; and if any of the discounters in Akiba sell it, it`ll be a good deal cheaper than list.  On Ebay the standard DX90 are going for 45k to 47.5k yen shipped from China.  So even paying the full 50k here in Tokyo, for the Hibino version, will be hardly more expensive.  And with some amount of local service . .  
It`s no brainer.  
And life has so few no-brainers. 

d

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 19

I'm glad you understood enough Japanese from Hibino folks. All I picked up from him was that there were 2 differences and the 2nd one being more silver content in the solder (which I mentioned in the DX90 thread) but my Japanese was too poor to pick up the 1st difference - which you've kindly mentioned that it's separately built.

I actually had @shigzeo's DX90 in my pocket when I was sitting at the Hibino desk but was reluctant to whip it out; besides I wasn't familiar with shigzeo's music and the sample DX90j had different tracks too. Listening to both separately 30 mins apart though, I coudn't detect any obvious differences betweeen the two but again I'd stress that since I'm unfamiliar with both available tracks and not comparing side-by-side, it's hard to say if the extra $120 difference between the two makes a difference or not.

Since the boards are flowed, they have to be built in a separate silver solder run and a since limited will naturally have more oversight. There could be more going on with other changes as well not mentioned. 

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #9 of 19

Could the 1st differencebe a Japanese made Samsung GS3 battery?
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #10 of 19
Could the 1st differencebe a Japanese made Samsung GS3 battery? :D
Well, as mentioned I couldn't tell if there was a difference or not.

But I do trust the distributor/importer that they have a Japan-Hibino version that's different from the international. I'm guessing iBasso would honour such a request from Hibino. There is no reason to question otherwise.

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 19
As I've said before, unless they've done more than mentioned, I don't see how it's 'better'. The difference in resistance at contacts would be negligible and at best there would be some minor character change. Even if there is some change, it wouldn't necessarily be for the better. A far as I'm concerned, buy whichever one is easy to get.

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 19
Any more news on this, or have the differences between the DX90j and DX90 proven to be negligible?
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back