iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jul 22, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #5,101 of 6,795
I do wonder why other DAP's have such limits when the iPod can read up to 40k
The main difference between iPod and "other DAPs" is that you load your music to iPod via iTunes, a desktop software, which deals with file formats, tags, artwork, library indexing, while with "other" DAPs the player software does it all itself on the device itself. That makes the most of limitations and causes most of problems.

Another limitation is the software quality. Apple sells millions and is able to invest more. People like rockboxed devices because Rockbox is developed by community for years and thus is more robust.

It should not be a problem with DX80 to fill 200GB card with properly tagged MP3s or AACs, small size or no artwork. You can swap cards, but then either wait for re-scan, or you are limited by playback from folders. Also, there is not a problem to play them from 3TB USB HDD via OTG (but no library pre-scan, by folders only) - I know because I tried.

But the question in general "may I put whatever I've downloaded from Internet, with print size artworks, and expect fast scanning, easy access and flawless playback", the answer in NO.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #5,102 of 6,795
The main difference between iPod and "other DAPs" is that you load your music to iPod via iTunes, a desktop software, which deals with file formats, tags, artwork, library indexing, while with "other" DAPs the player software does it all itself on the device itself. That makes the most of limitations and causes most of problems.

Another limitation is the software quality. Apple sells millions and is able to invest more. People like rockboxed devices because Rockbox is developed by community for years and thus is more robust.

It should not be a problem with DX80 to fill 200GB card with properly tagged MP3s or AACs, small size or no artwork. You can swap cards, but then either wait for re-scan, or you are limited by playback from folders. Also, there is not a problem to play them from 3TB USB HDD via OTG (but no library pre-scan, by folders only) - I know because I tried.

But the question in general "may I put whatever I've downloaded from Internet, with print size artworks, and expect fast scanning, easy access and flawless playback", the answer in NO.

I'm not wholly surprised by that. What I was thinking was keeping my shuffle so that any time I rip or download music I can format it through the iPod, then back it up using a program called CopyTrans that I have been using for years just in case my iPods are damaged/lost. In that way, not only can I format the tracks but I can also create a uniform root structure through the CopyTrans program.

Most of my music is bought through Bandcamp these days which seems fairly uniform in nature, but I have to admit, if I've been looking for obscurer stuff I may hunt for it online. Is there a good music manager alternative to iTunes, what do people in general use,or do most just manage it through their computer?

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #5,103 of 6,795
  I'm not wholly surprised by that. What I was thinking was keeping my shuffle so that any time I rip or download music I can format it through the iPod, then back it up using a program called CopyTrans that I have been using for years just in case my iPods are damaged/lost. In that way, not only can I format the tracks but I can also create a uniform root structure through the CopyTrans program.

Most of my music is bought through Bandcamp these days which seems fairly uniform in nature, but I have to admit, if I've been looking for obscurer stuff I may hunt for it online. Is there a good music manager alternative to iTunes, what do people in general use,or do most just manage it through their computer?

MusicBee or MediaMonkey - I use MusicBee myself.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/information/free/

http://getmusicbee.com/

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #5,106 of 6,795
Everything on my DX80 was either downloaded from HD Tracks or Bandcamp or ripped from CD using DB Power Amp. All three methods have worked fine for me. I have had null files a couple times from poorly tagged stuff, but it's easy enough to fix.

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #5,111 of 6,795
  Anyone noticed if you pick a folder in directory view it will start playing like track 08 not the first track, everything tagged ok

It's already reported bug: it starts playing in alphabetical order.

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #5,114 of 6,795
Software Suggestion - I would like to see a star system or thumbs up system implemented.  If you are playing on random it would be nice to be able to star a song so that it is selected more often when playing randomly.  It would be nice to have at least 3 levels of random play frequency.  I would prefer 5. 

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #5,115 of 6,795
  You're one of those who pushes the limits without doing some simple arithmetics.

A player shall keep the information about a track in a database: tags, path. At startup, it should read some or all into its memory. All, for instance, is required for shuffle play of all the tracks. With 1KB of such information per track, it requires 90MB of RAM just for the library. More KB per track - more RAM just for the library!

You want to attach covers, and most of players support different covers for different tracks. Cover art usually is resized for later use. Considering DX80 screen width (480 pixels), it is not smaller than 480x480 pixels.

Being stored in raw bitmap (for faster drawing) format, it would be 480x480x4 (i.e. 32 bpp) = 921600 bytes, around 80GB of storage for all your tracks. It is just not possible for any player on the market.

Being compressed (jpeg, png) down to 50KB, it makes 4.5GB only for cover art storage. This exceeds 3GB size of the internal partition of DX80 which is used to store music library.

I think you've got the idea... For your puprose, only a dumb player which stores nothing (plays from directory browser only) would work. True masochism is to expect a pretty UI with your requirements on the library size :)

Where did you get that information about 3Gb storage?
Since I have the player, I have never been able to use it properly and it's been almost a month, I m gonna ask to have it back.
I have never seen mentionned such a limitation and exchanged with Paul about it, I could clearly see a SQL error database is full when using the firmware with logcat.
iBasso askes me for files, but independantly, all those files plays fine, it's just that I can go trhough a full scan and never pass over 17K files in the database while I have 23K files on my cards.

now I've had previous players, and my ipod could play more files as well, my DX90 could also play more files I used rockbox.
on rockbox, iriver, archos, we had the choice to enable or not play the use of a library, that was definitely less dumb than using a mandatory database and not being to play a file without it

I'm not really looking for a player that can read all 90k files as I expect they'll be split over several microSD's. I do wonder why other DAP's have such limits when the iPod can read up to 40k, the problem with the iPod is there's no way to simply transition files unlike the iBasso or FIIO where you can split them over various storage cards that are small and portable. With the iPod you get 40k and that is when you've rigged it with an iFlash. 40k is better, but it's not my entire collection.

let me know if you find your baby, I'm thinking of going back with rockboxed ipod classic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back