iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jul 20, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #5,086 of 6,795
My DX80 came with 1.3.3, I listened to it a couple of hours before upgrading on 1.5.2 using the bundled "read me" tutorial. No UI problem so far except a very quick battery drainage on hi-res and DSD, it decreases about 1.7% per song, is it normal?

I would like to know what is the most stable firmware SQ/battery wise and please do provide the link. Thanks

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #5,087 of 6,795
My DX80 came with 1.3.3, I listened to it a couple of hours before upgrading on 1.5.2 using the bundled "read me" tutorial. No UI problem so far except a very quick battery drainage on hi-res and DSD, it decreases about 1.7% per song, is it normal?

I would like to know what is the most stable firmware SQ/battery wise and please do provide the link. Thanks

For SQ wise 1.3.3 is best for me

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #5,090 of 6,795
1.7% per song seems quite excessive, but I haven't tried DSD on my DX80. Can anybody confirm if battery drain is that significant for their unit as well when using high-resolution files?

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #5,091 of 6,795
After a 100% battery wall charge:
IEM @Impedance: 20Ω
Lo gain:
(I rarely play less than 24/96 so I don't know if mp3's for example would last longer?)

I played DSD for 14 minutes and lost 1% battery BUT
For me I did notice a lot quicker battery drain with FW 1.4.2

FW 1.5.2 seems to give noticably more battery but still seems to drain more quickly than older FW's?
To be fair though I have had the player quite a while now 

Whether 1.3 or 1.5 FW is the better depends entirely on what IEM/Cans you are using!
For some of my headphones 1.3 is 'best'
For the IEM's Im using at moment1.5 gives much better clarity & resolution

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #5,092 of 6,795
After a 100% battery wall charge:
IEM @Impedance: 20Ω
Lo gain:
(I rarely play less than 24/96 so I don't know if mp3's for example would last longer?)

I played DSD for 14 minutes and lost 1% battery BUT
For me I did notice a lot quicker battery drain with FW 1.4.2

FW 1.5.2 seems to give noticably more battery but still seems to drain more quickly than older FW's?
To be fair though I have had the player quite a while now 

Whether 1.3 or 1.5 FW is the better depends entirely on what IEM/Cans you are using!
For some of my headphones 1.3 is 'best'
For the IEM's Im using at moment1.5 gives much better clarity & resolution

I'm using the Oppo pm3 and some couple of earbuds such as Musicmaker Tomahawk and Ting, they are all sensitive enough to run on low gain but I often have to trigger high gain with the Oppo to get a better synergy.

As far as 16bit lossless is concerned, I don't feel too much drainage but once you try DSD the meter goes from 100% to 75% in less than 30 minutes, which is quite weird.

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #5,093 of 6,795
Just started looking at the iBasso DX80 as an alternative to my fleet of 160GB iPod classics (I have three of them). Wondering what kind of maximum storage capacity the iBasso can handle? I've read 2tb somewhere, but I find that unlikely given the current industry limitations. My current frontrunner is the FIIO X5, with two 200gb microSD's that's a fair chunk of capacity, although I'm leery of that devices punitive 5,800 file limit and the lack of OTG support.

I have 90,000 files I'm trying to store on one player or at least on a more portable microSD. My other option is the Lootoo PAW 5000, but the UI looks like an exercise in masochism.

Does anyone use this device with a large capacity card? I'm a little concerned about the amount of firmware bugs I'm reading about this device.

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #5,094 of 6,795
  I have 90,000 files I'm trying to store on one player or at least on a more portable microSD

You're one of those who pushes the limits without doing some simple arithmetics.

A player shall keep the information about a track in a database: tags, path. At startup, it should read some or all into its memory. All, for instance, is required for shuffle play of all the tracks. With 1KB of such information per track, it requires 90MB of RAM just for the library. More KB per track - more RAM just for the library!

You want to attach covers, and most of players support different covers for different tracks. Cover art usually is resized for later use. Considering DX80 screen width (480 pixels), it is not smaller than 480x480 pixels.

Being stored in raw bitmap (for faster drawing) format, it would be 480x480x4 (i.e. 32 bpp) = 921600 bytes, around 80GB of storage for all your tracks. It is just not possible for any player on the market.

Being compressed (jpeg, png) down to 50KB, it makes 4.5GB only for cover art storage. This exceeds 3GB size of the internal partition of DX80 which is used to store music library.

I think you've got the idea... For your puprose, only a dumb player which stores nothing (plays from directory browser only) would work. True masochism is to expect a pretty UI with your requirements on the library size :)

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #5,095 of 6,795
Agreed.  Different assumptions:
  1. FLAC format, average 35mb per file
  2. No embedded cover image, so single jpg in album folder, ~12 tracks per album, each jpg about 60kb.

On these assumptions (and we can quibble over 1Mb=1024kb versus 1000kb etc.) you need >3000gb of storage.  Even on mp3's say a quarter of that size still breaks everything.

Files90000 
Each track35000kb
Covers7500 
Each cover60kb
Total GB3004.5gb

Hope I've not got my mathematical knickers in a twist on this. 
basshead.gif

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #5,096 of 6,795
Actually, many of the tracks are sub 1-2 minutes in length. Second they've been parsed down to 192kbps. The type of music I listen to is rarely aided by lossless files.

Let me state one thing. Each of my iPod 160gb's stores over 22000 tracks, I have three. So I already have 66,000 tracks over three devices with around 460gb of storage (given that no 160gb iPod has 160gb capacity.) 

Thirdly, I'm not especially fussed by album art.

Now I iFlashed a previous 160gb iPod and managed to get 40,000 tracks onto one (that's the player limit) using a 500gb SSD. So my only requirement is an intuitive UI, not a flashy one. So is there something I'm missing about the way iPod's store files? I'm not expecting one player to house all 90,000 tracks, but have them spread over a few more portable microSD's. 

As a seafarer and regular air traveller you'd be surprised how often your luggage gets examined if you have several similar electrical devices in your luggage.

Agreed.  Different assumptions:
  1. FLAC format, average 35mb per file
  2. No embedded cover image, so single jpg in album folder, ~12 tracks per album, each jpg about 60kb.

On these assumptions (and we can quibble over 1Mb=1024kb versus 1000kb etc.) you need >3000gb of storage.  Even on mp3's say a quarter of that size still breaks everything.

Files90000 
Each track35000kb
Covers7500 
Each cover60kb
Total GB3004.5gb

Hope I've not got my mathematical knickers in a twist on this. 
basshead.gif

Incidentally  I was speaking to a guy on the FIIO X5 OTG support thread, he has a setup with a 512gb SSD and two 64GB cards (640gb storage) and manages 19,000 FLAC and some hi-res FLAC which is about 10% in accordance with your estimate:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/766456/fiio-otg-support-thread/90#post_12735243

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #5,099 of 6,795
Just started looking at the iBasso DX80 as an alternative to my fleet of 160GB iPod classics (I have three of them). Wondering what kind of maximum storage capacity the iBasso can handle? I've read 2tb somewhere, but I find that unlikely given the current industry limitations. My current frontrunner is the FIIO X5, with two 200gb microSD's that's a fair chunk of capacity, although I'm leery of that devices punitive 5,800 file limit and the lack of OTG support.

I have 90,000 files I'm trying to store on one player or at least on a more portable microSD. My other option is the Lootoo PAW 5000, but the UI looks like an exercise in masochism.

Does anyone use this device with a large capacity card? I'm a little concerned about the amount of firmware bugs I'm reading about this device.

AFAIK, firmware bugs are very common on every dap. They are just different such as you can suffer from headache, I can suffer from back pain. Now it's up to your preferences and needs.

You have a lot of tracks and I assume that you're talking about mp3 and aac files. Most daps struggle when it comes to read more than 10k music files, I don't know the limit in the DX80 but I'm not sure if it will be able to accept your entire library

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #5,100 of 6,795
You have a lot of tracks and I assume that you're talking about mp3 and aac files. Most daps struggle when it comes to read more than 10k music files, I don't know the limit in the DX80 but I'm not sure if it will be able to accept your entire library

I'm not really looking for a player that can read all 90k files as I expect they'll be split over several microSD's. I do wonder why other DAP's have such limits when the iPod can read up to 40k, the problem with the iPod is there's no way to simply transition files unlike the iBasso or FIIO where you can split them over various storage cards that are small and portable. With the iPod you get 40k and that is when you've rigged it with an iFlash. 40k is better, but it's not my entire collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back