iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jul 24, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #5,117 of 6,795
  I'm getting perfect playback except when playing hi-res material. Anything hi-res skips and studders. Anyone have a suggestion?

Please reload the firmware and do a factory reset.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jul 24, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #5,118 of 6,795
Where did you get that information about 3Gb storage?

0x005FA000 512-byte sectors, from the partition table of the firmware (userdata), = 3 208 642 560 bytes.

Jul 24, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #5,119 of 6,795
  0x005FA000 512-byte sectors, from the partition table of the firmware (userdata), = 3 208 642 560 bytes.

thanks, that confirmed my thought, I asked several time ibasso about limitations, but they were focusing on my files being an issue.
I removed all embedded cover, and used a folder.jpg in each album folder now ; finally made it to a complete scan with over 23K files.
with cover art, I was stuck at 17k.
using folder.jpg seems to be transparent, the album art loads properly in album browsing and when playing tracks.

Jul 24, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #5,120 of 6,795
  I removed all embedded cover, and used a folder.jpg in each album folder now ; finally made it to a complete scan with over 23K files.
with cover art, I was stuck at 17k.

Glad to hear you've solved your problem :) There is an unused partition of almost 3GB in size. It is possible to build a firmware to fully utilize this space as well... The problem is that it would require FactoryTool (aka BatchTool) to flash it the first time, and then to return back to the official or any other firmware.

Jul 24, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #5,122 of 6,795
Having tried some firmwares including the latest 1.5.2. It seems that the best SQ comes from 1.3.3, which is more organic, musical and less analytic with more body and a wider soundstage.

I feel that the soundstage has been severely compressed in 1.5.2, which makes it sounds ''meh'' from my Oppo PM3 and Musicmaker Ting.

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #5,124 of 6,795

Please reload the firmware and do a factory reset.

Which version? I'm currently using 1.4.2  I haven't tried the 1.5.2 fw as it seems quite a few are having trouble with it. 

wink.gif

ETA I guess 1.5.2 is so insignificant that 1.4.2 hasn't been changed on the title.

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #5,125 of 6,795

Which version? I'm currently using 1.4.2  I haven't tried the 1.5.2 fw as it seems quite a few are having trouble with it. 

We get some reports of trouble on 1.5.2 and are researching reports when ever they come in but a lot has to do with tagging and the size of the art used. If art is kept around 500*500 there are few problems.

If you continue to have problems please try the Batch Tool on the first page of this thread. There are instruction for its use in the download.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jul 25, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #5,126 of 6,795

We get some reports of trouble on 1.5.2 and are researching reports when ever they come in but a lot has to do with tagging and the size of the art used. If art is kept around 500*500 there are few problems.

If you continue to have problems please try the Batch Tool on the first page of this thread. There are instruction for its use in the download.

Hello Paul,

I spent many days to look at my tags, but I am still on 1.3.3 because I did not get a succcessful scan for any later firmware. My artwork is mostly 240*240. Before I go a step further and delete all artwork in my files (around 23.000), I like to be sure that my DX80 is working afterwards. So please can you answer the following questions?

1) Is there a limitation on the number of files the DX80 is able to handle (maybe it depends on the card-slot)?
2) Is an artwork of 500*500 handled by the DX80 independent on the number of files or is it possible that there is an internal cache in the DX80, where all the artwork is stored? I had this effect on the DX90 as well. Is it possible that the scan crashes once the cache cannot get more memory.

Regards

Maik

Jul 25, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #5,127 of 6,795

Hello Paul,

I spent many days to look at my tags, but I am still on 1.3.3 because I did not get a succcessful scan for any later firmware. My artwork is mostly 240*240. Before I go a step further and delete all artwork in my files (around 23.000), I like to be sure that my DX80 is working afterwards. So please can you answer the following questions?

1) Is there a limitation on the number of files the DX80 is able to handle (maybe it depends on the card-slot)?
2) Is an artwork of 500*500 handled by the DX80 independent on the number of files or is it possible that there is an internal cache in the DX80, where all the artwork is stored? I had this effect on the DX90 as well. Is it possible that the scan crashes once the cache cannot get more memory.

Regards

Maik

Hi Maik,

been in the same situation, and again, there was nothing wrong with my files from the beginning, Although I modified my tags to remove disc number, to fill up album artist to modify track so they won't include /1 ... removed all comments, filled up all genre field..etc
iBasso provided a log firmware that clearly stated that database was returning an error of being full, and Lurker0's contribution was even more helpful, because ibasso has not communicated yet about limitations regarding the device.

I think most of people's files are fine,
DX80 has limitations (which is obivoulsy normal)
DX80 does not handle properly its limitations (crash, freeze and corrupted database)

Younes.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #5,128 of 6,795

Hi Maik,

been in the same situation, and again, there was nothing wrong with my files from the beginning, Although I modified my tags to remove disc number, to fill up album artist to modify track so they won't include /1 ... removed all comments, filled up all genre field..etc
iBasso provided a log firmware that clearly stated that database was returning an error of being full, and Lurker0's contribution was even more helpful, because ibasso has not communicated yet about limitations regarding the device.

I think most of people's files are fine,
DX80 has limitations (which is obivoulsy normal)
DX80 does not handle properly its limitations (crash, freeze and corrupted database)

Younes.

Hi,

I agree, there is nothing wrong with limitations. But we should know the limitations of this device, because only then we can work around them.

You said the message was, that the database was full. I assume, this was the internal database within the memory of the device which isn't accessible to the user. In addition you said, that "Lurker0's contribution was even more helpful". Maybe I missed the post, but can you (or Lurker0) explain, what you meant with this?

Another user said, that he removed all covers and that helped to get a full scan. This seems quite forward to me, because the cover art is taking a lot of the memory. But before I start and remove all cover arts and put the image into a folder.jpg, I want to be sure that this reduces the footprint of the database. It reduces the overall number of images (regarding the number of jpg's), but nevertheless for every music file a cover art is shown and maybe the scanning process saves the cover art for every music file, which should be same as before.

Maik

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #5,130 of 6,795

there it says it all,
I had provided several logs to iBasso, reporting unsuccesful scans.
I knew my files, my cards, and my player slots were fine ; because I did perfom many scans independantly, and could get correct scans,
but never made it when the cards were filled with all my files.
I always had an crash during scanning, and listing of files never went above 17K files while I had 23K files total.

after confirmation of size limit fomr lurker I removed all the embedded cover and used folder.jpg in every folder,
made a successful scan from first attempt, and all arts are displayed properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back