IBasso DX50 vs Fiio X3 comparison thread
Dec 1, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #181 of 297
  Just sat down and listened to my AD8620 mod'ed X3, Nano 7G and DX50, volume matched to within 0.5dB of each other (it is impossible to match any closer since all three has digital volume control). Here are some quick impression:

Soundstage (wide -> close): DX50 > X3 > Nano 7G
Texture (thick -> thin): X3 > Nano 7G > DX50
Control / tightness: X3 > DX50 > Nano 7G

One thing that struck me early on is that DX50 sounds more gainy and bright than most DAP I have. The three way comparison really explains why - it is because DX50 is really thin on the mid and upper bass, which in effect emphasizes more on the treble in the overall presentation and makes it more edgy than it should. On the other hand, the slight hollowness also gives DX50 an excellent soundstage. IIRC, these are kind of opposite to what I have heard on the stock X3. I think I still prefer my mod'ed X3 the most. Though it is easy to tell that Nano 7G isn't quite as good as DX50, I think it actually has better balance as well. If only DX50 has a thicker mid, it would have been really great. Just wonder what opamp DX50 has on the headphone-out and maybe they are worth modding as well.

Hallelujah! Clieos I haven't seen eye to eye in all your reviews but this is the same impression I'm getting. Some parts of the DX50 sound is great, but the mids sound thin to me! Would the X3 be a great improvement in this aspect? Clarity of vocals is better on the X3?

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #182 of 297

Hallelujah! Clieos I haven't seen eye to eye in all your reviews but this is the same impression I'm getting. Some parts of the DX50 sound is great, but the mids sound thin to me! Would the X3 be a great improvement in this aspect? Clarity of vocals is better on the X3?

I haven't listened to a stock X3 for a while now, but I don't think anyone will disagree that vocal is the strength of X3.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #183 of 297
I haven't listened to a stock X3 for a while now, but I don't think anyone will disagree that vocal is the strength of X3.

I've been enjoying my X3 more lately as well but still greatly enjoy the DX50. There are a lot of strengths on the X3 and the UI is improving, hardly any issues, can't wait for the DX50 to get there(hopefully sooner than later).

Dec 6, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #184 of 297
To me both are not intresting without a Wlan chip or Android like on the DX100. The latter is not to get in Europe and is also very expensive.It is sad that iBasso did save on the Streaming possibility with it´s DX50. Let us hope that high qualitiy Players Comes our way with a Streaming component.

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #185 of 297
To me both are not intresting without a Wlan chip or Android like on the DX100. The latter is not to get in Europe and is also very expensive.It is sad that iBasso did save on the Streaming possibility with it´s DX50. Let us hope that high qualitiy Players Comes our way with a Streaming component.

WiFi chip isnt a pre-requisite to play music. If you want streaming then use something like an iPod Touch or your phone.

I guess I wouldnt say no if high-end players like this included a sim-card slot and a WiFi chip for streaming ability but its nowhere near being necessary to enjoy music on the go.

I guess the perfect player would have BT, WiFi and a sim-card slot for 3G. However we don't live in a perfect world, and surely having all those technologies in one player would bump up the price of it quite a lot. To be honest you'd be better off just buying a smartphone.

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #186 of 297
^+1

You can't expect to get all the bells and whistles for ~€150-€180.
I'm sure you can get DX100 in EU, just not through official channels. I can't see reason for complaining of lack of android or WiFi ic

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #187 of 297
I don´t agree, with the coming of Wimp and  other Streaming providors, the Sound Quality will improve, so a better Player is a must.. I like the Streaming concept that is why I want WiFi and or Android,.For only 10 Euro in month I can have almost all Music I could ever want. I have a collection of 1700+ cd´s but being twice confronted with death trough illness, I stopped collecting Music,apart from Releases of my favorite artists like Van Der Graaf Generator and frontman Peter Hammill´s solo work.
I agree Docenstore but the DX100 costs about 4 times the Price of an X3. I think that in the 400-500 Euro Zone, a high Quality Player with Wlan must be possible. Sony does have one the X1 but only in Japan.
The marketshare of the Streaming providors will grow, even Apple works on one, so one way or the other, those Players will come, guess we just have to be Patient.
I have of course a Smartphone, an Asus Padfone and the Sound in combination with my Yamaha EPH-100 is good, but it can be better, and on a Music Player, I don´t Need to make Pictures or whatever, it should be a strictly Music Player.

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #188 of 297
What we need is a decent music player with streaming capability and the possibility of digital out. Win-win

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #190 of 297
I have been using the DX50 and the Fiio x3 for awhile now. Overall, I believe the DX50 is the better player sound quality wise and will appeal to more people. It has noticeably better clarity and it is more balanced. The only problem I have with it is that the mids sound thin. It does not do too well when I am looking for intimate vocals. The Fiio x3 has a bit of warmth and is mid forward. Less mid bass, sounds less "filled" across the spectrum. However, I have been reaching for the Fiio x3 much more often. This is due to my signature preference and the DX50 just doesn't hit the sweet spot for me when I want to listen to good vocals.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #191 of 297
  would matching the dx50 with a thick/warm/dark iem shrink its thikness or just not add anything to it? asg2 are a very dark iem with exellent clarity sound stage and lush mids with more bass you can poke a stick at , would be nice to brighten them up a tad

and aslo , when using dx50 as a pre amp/dac do the same quality's of the player described this thread still weigh in ?

The general consensus is that the dx50 fairs well with darker 'phones, while the x3 fairs well with brigther 'phones.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #193 of 297
Are Grados considered dark or bright then? All this audiophile lingo is so confusing... Dark, cold, transparant, bright, warm, all such subjective terms! I was hoping to make a decision based on this thread, but all I've found out is that it's just a matter of preference. At least I know that both are pretty good and neither are a bad investment.

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #194 of 297
  Are Grados considered dark or bright then? All this audiophile lingo is so confusing... Dark, cold, transparant, bright, warm, all such subjective terms! I was hoping to make a decision based on this thread, but all I've found out is that it's just a matter of preference. At least I know that both are pretty good and neither are a bad investment.

Most Grados lean towards a brighter sig.

Bright refers a slight emphasis on upper mids and treble where warm is the opposite, referring to a slight emphasis on lower mids and bass.

Go here for a more complete sound terminology index:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back