IBasso DX50 vs Fiio X3 comparison thread
Dec 9, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #286 of 297
Ken Rockwell.. he's well known for, well... let's say controversial, opinions on photographic equipment.

But like with camera equipment he does have a point. Ipods aren't that bad. And if I could access them like a USB stick and if they played FLAC files  I probably would have bought one.
Bad news for the audio snobs and other voodoo freaks, Ken Rockwell obviously knows what he is talking about and altough I Don't have his technical knowledge, I agree with him as my Ipod Touch together with my Grado GR10 sounds pretty awesome. This with Wimp HiFi streaming and iTunes downloads. The latter very easy to handle and no software problems with the iPod, contrary to some of the more beloved DAP's.

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #287 of 297
I think you are missing a point here, just like Ken does on his lens reviews. Read http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/24-70mm.htm  and then compare to http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55mm-vr-ii.htm

What you are obviously missing is that you are comparing two or 3 vastly different things. Just like Ken does with the lenses. They are both pretty darn sharp at f8 but the 24-70 goes to f2.8 and is perfectly useable there and it's build to last.

There's nothing really wrong with apple products except when you want a card slot. Or more file formats than the handful supported. Or not using iTunes.  And that has nothing to do with Voodoo or snobbery. If you don't have a requirment for any of those and you don't mind paying for a product that is designed to keep you from fixing it yourself or even replacing the battery then go for it!

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #288 of 297
I agree on some points like the card slot, but no product is perfect, but for the money 299 Euro in Germany, I can´t think of a better player, that also offers the possibilty to stream, of course I can do without all I can already do with my phone a strictly music player would be great, but we can´t have it all, and Apple is targetting on a wider audience. Plus for me, no problems with software,easy to use iTunes, the PC downloads go automaticly on my iPod / iPhone. I am at 58 not a PC wizzard, so for me things should be easy to deal with. The DX50 and the X3 were originally priced 299 Euro as well, but by Amazon Italy you can buy the X3 even for 199 Euro, the DX50 at 225-245 Euro, so I think good deals for those intrested. What I did mean by snobism is that some think a DAB can only be good at 2400 Euro and some not even satisfied with this, combine the DAB with a Chord Dac/ amp for another 1600 Euro, than I think such unit can´t be 13 times better than the iPod Touch, and than I am happy that some people, not only ken Rockwel, try to bring us backon earth, you find several of these reviews on YouTube too.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #289 of 297
  I think you are missing a point here, just like Ken does on his lens reviews. Read http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/24-70mm.htm  and then compare to http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55mm-vr-ii.htm

What you are obviously missing is that you are comparing two or 3 vastly different things. Just like Ken does with the lenses. They are both pretty darn sharp at f8 but the 24-70 goes to f2.8 and is perfectly useable there and it's build to last.

There's nothing really wrong with apple products except when you want a card slot. Or more file formats than the handful supported. Or not using iTunes.  And that has nothing to do with Voodoo or snobbery. If you don't have a requirment for any of those and you don't mind paying for a product that is designed to keep you from fixing it yourself or even replacing the battery then go for it!

Replacing the battery is no issue, you can´t do it yourself, but here in Germany, region Frankfurt there are enough shops where you can have a replacement battery. I have no idea how they open the iPod/ i Phone as they manage to do with any visual damage.

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #290 of 297
Merry Christmas all! Well, I've received both a fiio x3 for me and dx50 for my dad. I use re-400 currently and I rather enjoyed the sound more from the dx50. I'm mainly an iem user while my dad uses some model of Bose Quietcomfort. Well, I quickly traded him. The x3 does have more power but with me using iems mainly, it made no difference for me. I enjoy the UI and the solid build. The x3 felt good in my hand, but it's dac feature would be more beneficial to my dad than I because I'll only listen in the bed and at my desk at work with iems. Dx50 was very neutral and gave some nice low end with my re-400 that I didn't know we're there when listening through my clip+. My jazz music is separated so good and gave me a feeling of being there with the great Miles Davis. I wanted to try another good audiophile album, Nirvana Unplugged, and wow it sounded even better. The x3 soundstage and separation to me was not as good but still impressive playing the same albums, but it really shined with my dads Bose, guess that extra power came in handy for headphones! I'm not headphone supremes but I know what sounded good to me and the synergy with my re-400 was perfect for my genre and iem choice. I thank you all for the help and this thread among many others! Now I'm heading back to load my new 64gb microsd!

Happy listening!

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #291 of 297
Hi guys,  
I am thinking about the mp3 player for my headphones Yamaha EPH-100. I am choosing between iBasso DX50, Fiio X3 I generation and Xduoo X3. I have read that this headphones plays well with player that has a bit bass, space and sounds bright. Which one will be better?

PS. If the are any linguistic mistaks, I am sorry. My English is not perfect.

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #292 of 297
Your English is great. Both of the players are great and both have their quirks (I have not heard the Xduoo X3).  I think you will be happier with either one.  The DX50 has physical buttons as well as a touch screen.  The X3 has a bunch of buttons at an angle.  I prefer the DX50, but the X3 is a great player also. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #293 of 297
I have the DX50 and not the X3, but I will say this...

I bought the DX50 (used) thinking it would tide me over for a while and I could upgrade to a newer model in the couple of years, or maybe get a Pono.

But since I've had it, I have no desire to upgrade it. I think I'll modify an old iPod instead, but that's a different story entirely.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either choice. Price was the deciding factor for me. I waited until I found a good deal of a used DX50 or a used X3. The DX50 came first, so I got it. I imagine that if I had gotten the X3 I'd be saying the same thing about that one.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #294 of 297
I can buy iBasso DX50 for 700zł - about 181$ and Fiio X3 for 500zł - about 130$. Both players are used and they are in very good condition. But the major think for me is sound. Which one will be better with headphones Yamaha EPH-100? As I said, the player must have bass, space and sounds bright. I have read that the Fiio X3 has nice bass, better than DX50, but iBasso plays more spatially. Is that true? Unfortunately, I cant test both players.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #295 of 297
I have heard that the iBasso is warmer than the X3. It certainly does have a nice warm sound. I've also heard that the soundstage is wider in the DX50, so you are correct, but again, that's just what I've heard. 

Have you ever used a Fiio headphone amp? I imagine the X3 will sound like one of those.

I think most people here would agree that your headphones will have a greater impact on the sound than which player you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back