IBasso DX50 vs Fiio X3 comparison thread
Aug 3, 2013 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 297

Stuff Jones

1000+ Head-Fier
I know this is premature given that no one has heard the DX50 yet, but the comparison is already being speculated about on seperate threads. 

The specs are very similar. Do we have any reason to believe, other than brand allegiance, that one player will be significantly different i.e. better than the other?

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 297
If dx50 is a dual dac balance implementation....only if...
At this price point,i am happy that i can afford to give it a try

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 297
If we're comparing looks, the iBasso gets destroyed.  That thing is disgusting looking.  The Fiio isn't anything special itself, but I cannot stand to look at that DX50.  I could never use it for that reason alone.  Stupid reason, sure, but looks do matter.

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 297
When the DX50 is released, it will definitely make for a very interesting comparison with the Fiio X3.

Am currently enjoying the heck out of the Fiio X3, and despite the lower resolution (compared to my other gears), it's getting more outdoor airtime recently.

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #5 of 297
Why get either unless you have high impedance inefficient headphones. For $130+ I would rather have a player like the Cowon C2 that gets 40+ hours of battery life, or Cowon X7 that gets  90+ hours of play time for music. I actually prefer to spend under $40 and get a Sandisk Clip Zip and Rockbox it. Of course having much more than 14 hours of battery life is nice, but having a very small size, and  price under $40 is also nice. There doesn't seem to be any good mid ground though, as what I really want is a small clip on player using a standard connector that has a screen, a card slot, and 30+ hour battery life for under $80.

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 297
Quote:
Why get either unless you have high impedance inefficient headphones. For $130+ I would rather have a player like the Cowon C2 that gets 40+ hours of battery life, or Cowon X7 that gets  90+ hours of play time for music. I actually prefer to spend under $40 and get a Sandisk Clip Zip and Rockbox it. Of course having much more than 14 hours of battery life is nice, but having a very small size, and  price under $40 is also nice. There doesn't seem to be any good mid ground though, as what I really want is a small clip on player using a standard connector that has a screen, a card slot, and 30+ hour battery life for under $80.

Doesn't more juice make even efficient headphones sound better?

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #7 of 297
Quote:
Doesn't more juice make even efficient headphones sound better?

No. A deficiency will impact the sound, but if there is way too much power available it won't help it.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #8 of 297
Quote:
No. A deficiency will impact the sound, but if there is way too much power available it won't help it.

So the only benefit of a headphone amp is if you have inefficient headphones? Are most headphones inefficient?

Given the extra cost and bulk of a headphone amp, it would seem much more sensible to just get efficient headphones instead yet tones of people here have headphone amps.

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #9 of 297
Quote:

So the only benefit of a headphone amp is if you have inefficient headphones? Are most headphones inefficient?

Given the extra cost and bulk of a headphone amp, it would seem much more sensible to just get efficient headphones instead yet tones of people here have headphone amps.

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Inefficient or high impedance.

Years ago most of the better headphones were higher impedance ones. Now there are many great headphones that are under 60 ohms, with many that are close to 32 ohms, and that are over 100 db/mw in efficiency. This is especially true for more compact headphones. some here have the tiny $25 Fiio E6 headphone amp to use with headphones over 100 ohms. It will work okay with most headphones up to 300 ohms.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #10 of 297
OK back on the original topic. From a personal perspective I'm basically asking if I should hold off getting the X3 and wait for the DX50, praying it is released as scheduled by the end of August and is a step up from the X3.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 297
The DX50 is probably going to be more expensive. Wait a month or two and see how these are priced. So far dealers are taking preorders for the X3 at $199, which is full list price. I have a feeling early next year the X3 might be discounted to $150 or less. Lets see how much the DX50 is discounted to in a few months. It does seem like these will probably be quite a bit cheaper 6 months after the first release than their initial prices.

I am not thrilled with either, and want longer battery life. I am hoping Sandisk will release a new player at the end of August.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 297
Quote:

The D42 Mamba revision sounds much better than the E17, which in turn sounded very similar to the X3 in my opinion.  I highly doubt Cyrus and iBasso would allow their $188 Dac to sound any better or worse than their portable player in the same price tier.  It probably will sound very similar, which automatically means better than the E17 and X3.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #15 of 297
Quote:

The D42 Mamba revision sounds much better than the E17, which in turn sounded very similar to the X3 in my opinion.  I highly doubt Cyrus and iBasso would allow their $188 Dac to sound any better or worse than their portable player in the same price tier.  It probably will sound very similar, which automatically means better than the E17 and X3.

Thanks. I read on another board that people don't like the iBasso "house sound" and so are leery of the DX50. Can you compare the house sounds of iBasso and Fiio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back