iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Feb 27, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #4,486 of 14,593
I am sorry to hear, you should ask for it to be replaced. What really happened though ?
If it is Tital, replacing it wouldn't make sense. Need to find out what the real issue is.

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #4,487 of 14,593
Nice marketing gimmickry.

- "We can't say decompress, it is what MP3 does. We should invent a new name, like unfoldig.
+ But that is not enough! We need to find a way to tax the complete chain. We need to push that down to the DAC, we need to put our hands into the pocket every one out there: The consumer, the artist, the software developer, the device manufacturer, even the DAC manufacturer.
- But why would that be? Today's high bitrate...
+ We don't use the word 'bitrate'.
- OK, high resolution...
+ We don't use that, too.
- OK, but, why would anyone need a lossy compressed audio when there is...
+ We don't say lossy, remember 'unfolding'?
- OK, but why would anyone buy that?
+ Because we have good marketing agents. If we can lure the consumers into buying this crap, the rest of the chain will have to pay their due 'taxes'.
- Sounds more like an extortion, I love it!
+ Yeah, we'll call it 'certification'.
A brief 'history repeats itself' and some thoughts.

Who remembers 4-channel Quadrasonic encoded 33RPM LP's, the same cost, value arguments occurred then as well.
It was viewed by some as a means for Sony, Technics, et all to sell new audio hardware and content. LP's masters had to be analyzed and created using special equipment to be able to deliver Quad sound. In most cases required new 4-channel Preamp, Amps, pickups and additional speakers.
Quadrasonic did not make it long term but it did carve a path for Dolby and other surround sound systems.

MP3 which stands for (MPEG-1 Layer 3) the encoding/decoding of audio was licensed to vendors by Fraunhofer IIS from about 1993 till 2017.
Large companies licensed Fraunhofer code to encode/decode MP3 audio in hardware and software.
MP3 led to other 'free' and 'proprietary' audio encoding formats, in general for the consumer to have options is always good.

Some background on me, I was directly involved in setting MPEG Standards for both audio and video.
The company I founded was a member of MPEG.org (Motion Picture Experts Group).

In fact, my involvement led to my friends at Diamond Multimedia to produce the first commercial MP3 player the Diamond Rio PMP300.
Diamond of course was immediately sued by the Music Industry, Diamond won and the rest is history.

The marketplace in the end will or won't find value in the MQA and supporters offerings.
As it should be, we get to 'vote'. We vote each time we choose to spend our money on new gear and media...

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #4,488 of 14,593
A brief 'history repeats itself' and some thoughts.

Who remembers 4-channel Quadrasonic encoded 33RPM LP's, the same cost, value arguments occurred then as well.
It was viewed by some as a means for Sony, Technics, et all to sell new audio hardware and content. LP's masters had to be analyzed and created using special equipment to be able to deliver Quad sound. In most cases required new 4-channel Preamp, Amps, pickups and additional speakers.
Quadrasonic did not make it long term but it did carve a path for Dolby and other surround sound systems.

MP3 which stands for (MPEG-1 Layer 3) the encoding/decoding of audio was licensed to vendors by Fraunhofer IIS from about 1993 till 2017.
Large companies licensed Fraunhofer code to encode/decode MP3 audio in hardware and software.
MP3 led to other 'free' and 'proprietary' audio encoding formats, in general for the consumer to have options is always good.

Some background on me, I was directly involved in setting MPEG Standards for both audio and video.
The company I founded was a member of MPEG.org (Motion Picture Experts Group).

In fact, my involvement led to my friends at Diamond Multimedia to produce the first commercial MP3 player the Diamond Rio PMP300.
Diamond of course was immediately sued by the Music Industry, Diamond won and the rest is history.

The marketplace in the end will or won't find value in the MQA and supporters offerings.
As it should be, we get to 'vote'. We vote each time we choose to spend our money on new gear and media...

The market is a bit different right now, as MP3 was not the main distribution medium of music media back then (at least not in a legal form), but right now this medium has changed and the most aggressive member of this trend is pushing with all means its own standart. It is pretty much a monopole (OK, there are smaller players like Qobuz), and it is supposedly the legal way right now.

The artists and recording companies are also pretty much out of the equation. None of the musicians I know or met really benefit from this new trend, and again there is not much they can do about it as there is a big monopole deciding how the trends should be. Being a musician is pretty much like a "sweat shop" worker in the current music industry. I am not talking about those flashy names pushed in front of us. You simply don't earn money by making albums.

It is also not ending there. I have been watching the launch and progress of many music players here and it is basically a mess. End users suffer and complain, device manufacturers suffer, software developers suffer. It is a mess. And the complaints and the problems never end. Half of the complaints and questions are about MQA, as the chain is not that straightforward.

It is more like voting in a dictatorship. And as always, the dictator is a horrible liar.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #4,489 of 14,593
I spoke to a rep of one the chip makers a while back (I was at a show). A very well known manufacture but he said it was between him and me, and so it goes that I will not mention who the manufacture is. But what he said was that MQA is not a valid system. It is not something they will support and does not add to the quality of the musical equation. But it does make money for a company and people have latched onto it, thinking it is a valid process. I paraphrase of course but the gist of it is, having broken down what it does, he saw no value for music reproduction.

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #4,490 of 14,593
I’ve done factory resets but I still lose all audio in Android frequently on a restart. I like this player, but this is driving me crazy. Is this happening to no one else? I only use Mango Player and Tidal. I occasionally connect it to my Sonos move via Bluetooth.
Make sure BT is disabled when not in use. I have had devices connect unexpectedly and steal the audio.

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #4,491 of 14,593
Anyway, I am sorry for derailing the thread for far too long on this and I want this to be my last post on this topic for now. All I want to say is, from MP3 there was an obvoius benefit that the files were smaller and they could be stored on the smaller hard drives and easily distributed. There was not much alternative to it, at least not when it appeared. There was DRM WMA but it appeared later when the MP3 was already running wild in the market. Besides, Microsoft was not a major driving force in music industry. To make it short: MP3 was solving a problem.

But currently the setup is very different. There are many alternatives that appeared before and the supposedly existing problems are actually not there and have long been solved with free standards and other advancements in the technology such as the processing power and transmission speeds. But the trouble is, the biggest content distributor is pushing for MQA, which has been nothing but headache for everyone down the chain. Except MQA itself. Everyone, from Tidal customers to DAP manufacturers to application manufacturers are suffering.

Pages and pages of questions and problems about MQA for nearly every DAP out there. Why? Because some people just picked up the right position at the right time wants to force it, not because it is a benefit for anyone except itself an the MQA company.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #4,493 of 14,593
I wonder what the first amp for the dx300 will be

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #4,494 of 14,593
Yep, we found such an AAA piece, I think it was the Prince Purple Rain record, will need to check again and you are right with all the efforts and potential noise issues.
I think because of pure lazyness and comfort I had never considered going that old route.
My friend says it's helping him to slow himself down after a stressful work week
And thinking about it he maybe right
Most of us working somehow in some digital business, everything supposed to happen suddenly, and in free time I am watching myself becoming the same consumer myself whom I have previously been complaining about,who wants everything at his fingertips for free plus being restless searching for better hardware and music instead of just enjoying a limited setup of analogue hardware and media...
Really interesting post on a number of levels.

I grew up with cassettes & CDs, but despite digitizing my collection early in the 2000s seriously considered embracing vinyl more than a decade ago. What decided me against it was the exorbitant cost of re-purchasing hundreds of "essential" albums in a new format, without even considering how much one can pay for rare pressings.

After saying that it isn't difficult to imagine how the ritual of cleaning, organizing & preparing records would add to the experience of listening, and make it feel like an event you're participating in. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that despite recent digital advancements vinyl still rules supreme in ultra high-end speaker rigs either. Much like large-format photography, the sheer amount of raw analog information the format can contain may be hard to beat.

Its pretty hard to abandon the convenience of digital once it becomes part of your life though, few of us would probably choose to ride a horse to work if we had the choice.

Feb 27, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #4,496 of 14,593
I figured out what my Android issue was - an app called Endel that creates soundscapes. Somehow, it was breaking the sound system unless it was reopened. Now that I know this, I can fix the issue very quickly by reopening the app when I run into the problem.

Finally received the TPU case from aliexpress. As everyone else has said, it is perfect. I'm unclear on why they bothered to make a "window" for the High Res Audio sticker which is misaligned. However, they provided many, hi-res audio stickers to make up for it. I hope all the future amp modules line up with the holes in the TPU case.

Feb 27, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #4,497 of 14,593
I figured out what my Android issue was - an app called Endel that creates soundscapes. Somehow, it was breaking the sound system unless it was reopened. Now that I know this, I can fix the issue very quickly by reopening the app when I run into the problem.

Finally received the TPU case from aliexpress. As everyone else has said, it is perfect. I'm unclear on why they bothered to make a "window" for the High Res Audio sticker which is misaligned. However, they provided many, hi-res audio stickers to make up for it. I hope all the future amp modules line up with the holes in the TPU case.
Ok, so it isn’t the player but the user... I thought I only used mango app or tidal ...heh..nvm my previous recommendation then as it is invalid

Feb 27, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #4,498 of 14,593
I hope it has tubes within tubes upon tubes with a little extra tube for good measure. I hope they are real old, dirty, 1950s tubes too, with mold on them.

Eh haven't you returned your DX300 after a day?

Anyhow, if you like tubes you should look into the C9 amp.

Feb 27, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #4,499 of 14,593
I spoke to a rep of one the chip makers a while back (I was at a show). A very well known manufacture but he said it was between him and me, and so it goes that I will not mention who the manufacture is. But what he said was that MQA is not a valid system. It is not something they will support and does not add to the quality of the musical equation. But it does make money for a company and people have latched onto it, thinking it is a valid process. I paraphrase of course but the gist of it is, having broken down what it does, he saw no value for music reproduction.

I like it that sometimes there are new masters. Of course the is irrelevant to all DAC/chip manufacturers.

Anyway, I am sorry for derailing the thread for far too long on this and I want this to be my last post on this topic for now. All I want to say is, from MP3 there was an obvoius benefit that the files were smaller and they could be stored on the smaller hard drives and easily distributed. There was not much alternative to it, at least not when it appeared. There was DRM WMA but it appeared later when the MP3 was already running wild in the market. Besides, Microsoft was not a major driving force in music industry. To make it short: MP3 was solving a problem.

But currently the setup is very different. There are many alternatives that appeared before and the supposedly existing problems are actually not there and have long been solved with free standards and other advancements in the technology such as the processing power and transmission speeds. But the trouble is, the biggest content distributor is pushing for MQA, which has been nothing but headache for everyone down the chain. Except MQA itself. Everyone, from Tidal customers to DAP manufacturers to application manufacturers are suffering.

Have you seen what DSD file sizes are like?

Pages and pages of questions and problems about MQA for nearly every DAP out there. Why? Because some people just picked up the right position at the right time wants to force it, not because it is a benefit for anyone except itself an the MQA company.

There are also many questions online (other places) on things like... Any point in paying for premium Spotify if I'm using airpods.. What's wrong with questions?

Sometimes there is also lots of discussion because things become political. For example, the last American presidential election was 53/47. That's not a huge margin but I bet you can throw a stone and find someone who vehemently disagrees with the majority/minority choice.

🤷‍♂️

Feb 28, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #4,500 of 14,593
Unfortunately I very rarely use IEMs and it is my only IEM. I used it only once and it was a good pairing.
Seriously? I had no idea, I think if I had one, I would use it every day, from what I have read it is fantastic, in fact, I'm even undecided between A18t and A18s. . . .:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back