iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Feb 27, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #4,471 of 14,596
A little bit out of scope but here is a detailed article about MQA from a well known trusted blogger. Enjoy it while listening to Tidal. :p

"Finally, we are confronted by MQA’s claims that they are promoting not just a “format”, but also a “philosophy” (19). They see it as a philosophy of breaking free from adjudicating quality as represented by traditional objective parameters like bit-depth and sample rate; that file size and bitrate does not correlate with sonic quality. Based on this view, MQA has determined that everything captured in the studio and what humans can hear can be “encapsulated” in the MQA 24/48 combination lossless-lossy container. In other words, they’re arguing that they know the full ability of human hearing based on “tremendous advancements … in neuroscience” and that as a result, a file format does not need to include the full bit depth (noise floor) or full lossless frequency response (sample rate) as in an original high resolution studio recording. If this is true, music labels can then just release all “hi-res” material in this single compressed file type.

As much as MQA might detest comparisons, this is also no different from the basic goal of lossy encoding and implementing psychoacoustic understanding to audio compression as per MP3. The problem is that MQA refuses to acknowledge this! They seem to fear using the term “lossy” when by definition the encoding process is unable to exactly reconstruct the high-resolution data fed into it on playback."

(...)

"But wait, so far, we’ve only touched on one part of the “philosophy” promoted by MQA. Much of the rest of their philosophical ideas revolve around an uncomfortable business model that reaches broadly, affecting the whole production and playback chain. In February 2017, Linn was bold enough to post that they saw MQA as nothing more than an attempt at a “supply chain monopoly”. The result of which is a “tax” on hardware, software and the media, ultimately passed on to consumers of course. Should this “philosophy” be broadly accepted, and the business model successfully implemented, it would no doubt be good for MQA Ltd.’s financial statements."

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/mqa-a-review-of-controversies-concerns-and-cautions-r701/

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #4,472 of 14,596
A&K also is the only company that didn't fix their PEQ for years. Their "bell" is like a needle. The bandwidth can't be properly adjusted. There are measurements and reports about it for so long, but they didn't fix it. It was useless. If it was OK, I would probably still have the SP2000.

Unfortunately I very rarely use IEMs and it is my only IEM. I used it only once and it was a good pairing.

Decoding, rendering. Little word plays. In order to render anything that is encoded, you have to decode it. In SW or HW, does not matter. The fact is, it is not happening on DAC level, as the DAC does not have the MQA specific components. When you look at the ESS website, none of the top model DACs support MQA and the one that supports it is mentioned to "render" it.

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/sabre-digital-analog-converters/audiophile-dacs/

Shanling says they can decode it, but does not mention where (SW or HW) and what is happening then:

https://en.shanling.com/article-M8MQA.html

I disagree with you where you say "In SW or HW, Does not matter". There is a difference in output result between MQA decoding and MQA rendering.

This is clear to see on the MQA website. Higher quality output with MQA decoder compared to MQA rendering.

I never said the DAC was doing all the work for MQA decoding or rendering.

Feb 27, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #4,473 of 14,596
I can totally agree with the statement “an attempt of supply chain monopoly”, and so is the streaming services....and even digital purchases, can’t download a second time...what Bs is that ? MQA brings it a couple notches further.

I will always get my CD and rip it, those suckers can sleep with their ideas

Feb 27, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #4,474 of 14,596
I can totally agree with the statement “an attempt of supply chain monopoly”, and so is the streaming services....and even digital purchases, can’t download a second time...what Bs is that ? MQA brings it a couple notches further.

Your talking about DRM here I think when you refer to digital purchases?

MQA does not bring anything to the table in respect of encryption.

The only way I can see that MQA affects consumers is a difference in cost of device or service with MQA hardware or MQA enabled streaming services compared to NON MQA enabled hardware and NON MQA enabled streaming services.

MQA enabled hardware and streaming services will be paying a license cost to MQA for the privilege of using the technology. That cost is passed down to the consumer via the hardware cost OR streaming service subscription. The consumer has a choice then.

Either purchase a streaming service that is MQA enabled and pay the additional cost OR save your money and pay for a NON MQA enabled streaming service. Same rule applies to hardware.

I don't see the problem??

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #4,475 of 14,596

Issue in our hires world is: the good old CD isn't good enough anymore.
So either you need to buy hires or stream it or... go back to Vinyl which is superior to CD.
I.e for ripping you'd need to have a good record player and buy records instead of CDs 😉
Am about to do an experiment with a good friend who just settled down on Vinyl a short time ago and do some blind listening comparisons against local hires, Tidal. Apple Music and Vinyl...

Feb 27, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #4,476 of 14,596
Issue in our hires world is: the good old CD isn't good enough anymore.
So either you need to buy hires or stream it or... go back to Vinyl which is superior to CD.
I.e for ripping you'd need to have a good record player and buy records instead of CDs 😉
Am about to do an experiment with a good friend who just settled down on Vinyl a short time ago and do some blind listening comparisons against local hires, Tidal. Apple Music and Vinyl...
I have DAT, Vinyl, Digital :wink:

If I had to convert Vinyl to digital, it will go to DAT...I don’t know why such excellent tech is being forsaken. It will shame all modern high-res systems...lol

Yes, converting vinyl into DSD is a way to go, but modern music is all digitally recording....why going through the conversions again ? Unless you enjoy the so called “beautiful noises”. Except for those older classical AAA pieces , but those records are expensive like heck

Feb 27, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #4,477 of 14,596
Yep, we found such an AAA piece, I think it was the Prince Purple Rain record, will need to check again and you are right with all the efforts and potential noise issues.
I think because of pure lazyness and comfort I had never considered going that old route.
My friend says it's helping him to slow himself down after a stressful work week
And thinking about it he maybe right
Most of us working somehow in some digital business, everything supposed to happen suddenly, and in free time I am watching myself becoming the same consumer myself whom I have previously been complaining about,who wants everything at his fingertips for free plus being restless searching for better hardware and music instead of just enjoying a limited setup of analogue hardware and media...

Feb 27, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #4,478 of 14,596
After having unfortunately lost too many CDs in the past few years through hiding, settling and other things ....., In 2019, I decided to buy the majority of the albums that are important to me simply new as FLAC correctly.

Bought something new every few weeks, ... or rather something old and new :slight_smile: So I am now building a new collection, in the best quality, as desired.

Vinyl is also becoming more and more an issue

yesterday I was able to test the DC Ether2 on the DX300 .... I have to say, for me a very, very wonderful combination. I'm very difficult to think about buying the one, it's just a lot of money again :see_no_evil:

Feb 27, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #4,479 of 14,596
Can anyone recommend a few good memory cards for my DAP's? So far I have been only streaming, but want to start using files. Also, where does everybody buy their HI-Res music? I want to buy better than CD quality, but have no idea where to look....? Im open to both physical and digital formats.

Feb 27, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #4,480 of 14,596
I disagree with you where you say "In SW or HW, Does not matter". There is a difference in output result between MQA decoding and MQA rendering.

This is clear to see on the MQA website. Higher quality output with MQA decoder compared to MQA rendering.

I never said the DAC was doing all the work for MQA decoding or rendering.

Nice marketing gimmickry.

- "We can't say decompress, it is what MP3 does. We should invent a new name, like unfoldig.
+ But that is not enough! We need to find a way to tax the complete chain. We need to push that down to the DAC, we need to put our hands into the pocket every one out there: The consumer, the artist, the software developer, the device manufacturer, even the DAC manufacturer.
- But why would that be? Today's high bitrate...
+ We don't use the word 'bitrate'.
- OK, high resolution...
+ We don't use that, too.
- OK, but, why would anyone need a lossy compressed audio when there is...
+ We don't say lossy, remember 'unfolding'?
- OK, but why would anyone buy that?
+ Because we have good marketing agents. If we can lure the consumers into buying this crap, the rest of the chain will have to pay their due 'taxes'.
- Sounds more like an extortion, I love it!
+ Yeah, we'll call it 'certification'.

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #4,481 of 14,596
Can anyone recommend a few good memory cards for my DAP's? So far I have been only streaming, but want to start using files. Also, where does everybody buy their HI-Res music? I want to buy better than CD quality, but have no idea where to look....? Im open to both physical and digital formats.
1T micro SD is still too expensive IMO, I've been using Teamgroup 512GB ones and am very happy with it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CDHRKDF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Their 256GB is also good bang for the buck.

I mostly bought my tracks from HDTracks.com, they constantly have 20% sale.

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #4,482 of 14,596
Nice marketing gimmickry.

- "We can't say decompress, it is what MP3 does. We should invent a new name, like unfoldig.
+ But that is not enough! We need to find a way to tax the complete chain. We need to push that down to the DAC, we need to put our hands into the pocket every one out there: The consumer, the artist, the software developer, the device manufacturer, even the DAC manufacturer.
- But why would that be? Today's high bitrate...
+ We don't use the word 'bitrate'.
- OK, high resolution...
+ We don't use that, too.
- OK, but, why would anyone need a lossy compressed audio when there is...
+ We don't say lossy, remember 'unfolding'?
- OK, but why would anyone buy that?
+ Because we have good marketing agents. If we can lure the consumers into buying this crap, the rest of the chain will have to pay their due 'taxes'.
- Sounds more like an extortion, I love it!
+ Yeah, we'll call it 'certification'.
Perfectly said LOL!!!! Well, I give them credit for pushing their boundaries and appreciate that we have moved beyond MP3. But Hi-Res is still going to be what I prefer anyways

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #4,483 of 14,596
I’ve done factory resets but I still lose all audio in Android frequently on a restart. I like this player, but this is driving me crazy. Is this happening to no one else? I only use Mango Player and Tidal. I occasionally connect it to my Sonos move via Bluetooth.

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #4,484 of 14,596
I’ve done factory resets but I still lose all audio in Android frequently on a restart. I like this player, but this is driving me crazy. Is this happening to no one else? I only use Mango Player and Tidal. I occasionally connect it to my Sonos move via Bluetooth.
Never had that happen. So you are listening in Android and you lose sound. Is that only in Tidal? What about when using an SD card or internal memory?

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #4,485 of 14,596

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back